• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question about getting a concealed carry permit

Started by Raineyrocks, September 29, 2008, 11:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Romak

Also keep in mind that if a dealer closes down all of that paperwork is automatically given to the ATF. Dealers have to hold on to it. So if you are going to buy a handgun from a dealer do your best to find one thats been in business for a long time and has a good history. I don't think they can legally make copies of the forms from the dealer and take them off site unless they are specifically looking into a crime committed with that particular gun in question. I buy privately through friends specifically but if Im forced to buy something that I cant find through a friend I go to dealers that dont plan on going out of business anytime soon and are good at keeping on eye on their records if they go through an audit, etc. There is no reason for anyone to know what you own and its best to do some research to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to find out be it the ATF or a friendly neighbor.

grasshopper

Ya Romak, all those chemicals at (you know whos) place might spontainiously combust....... :o ::)  I say carry conceiled unloaded as per RSA: 159, 4.
  http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm
Section 159:4   Eds' note: (notice it says "Loaded")
    159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.
Source. 1923, 118:4. PL 149:4. RL 179:4. 1951, 151:1. RSA 159:4. 1967, 220:3. 1973, 528:84. 1994, 48:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995.

Section 159:5

Read #16 and 17, fun fun fun!  Switchblades anybody?

Romak

Speaking of that should really give notices in the mail if your current permit is about to expire, they are good for so long sometimes you just miss the date. My wifes permit recently expired and was questioned by a cop about her permit to carry when he saw her carrying. Im assuming by the bulge on her side. She almost got charged until he realized the chief was by cousin.

Hubbard

I have a question..... I picked up the sheet I have to fill out here in Northfield and I need references. Why? I'm not exactly comfortable linking other people to my concealed carrying. Do you have to list them? I thought someone here said their application did not have the references area. Just curious. I might as well get one while the getting is good.

ColdSoul

There is a topic floating around the boards talking about "I applied for my CCL" or something like that. He mentions the cops tried to inform he he "had to fill out such and such sections" and according to him there was a small section you needed to fill out, and the rest was not required according to NH state law.

NH from what I have heard is a shall issue CCL state, meaning they have to give you a answer (in 7 days I think) and if they say no they must say why and it has to be a good reason (such as felony, mental illness, etc).

I am not sure but I think the guy in the post I mentioned before said it was name, address and maybe some other small thing and that you didn't even need to give SSN.

Hubbard

Quote from: ColdSoul on December 10, 2008, 06:12 AM NHFT
There is a topic floating around the boards talking about "I applied for my CCL" or something like that. He mentions the cops tried to inform he he "had to fill out such and such sections" and according to him there was a small section you needed to fill out, and the rest was not required according to NH state law.

NH from what I have heard is a shall issue CCL state, meaning they have to give you a answer (in 7 days I think) and if they say no they must say why and it has to be a good reason (such as felony, mental illness, etc).

I am not sure but I think the guy in the post I mentioned before said it was name, address and maybe some other small thing and that you didn't even need to give SSN.

Thanks. I'll try it without filling in references. We'll see what happens.

Giggan

I've never heard of them being contacted (for one, they take address instead of phone #, snail mail won't reach and return in the 2 weeks they have). You could use people who you're friendly with but may not know you carry, or don't carry themselves.

neggy

references? leave it blank and let them deny you, then fight it

NH is a MUST ISSUE state. If you have no disqualifying items on your record, or if you have no record, they have to issue it IMHO

References are the people they are going to question when they try to locate you. Just like the bank wants the name of the nearest relative to hound if you go AWOL.

You can buy a gun from a private party, as long as you are a NH resident, are not a prohibited person
AND you are personally known to them. That is a pretty broad brush IMHO.  Some people are more willing than other to hand you a gun in a paper bag in a parking lot than others, based on you knowing them from an internet board, but it has happened.

If you are looking for an example of gun confiscation without a legal basis look at the aftermath of hurricane Katrina where old women were beaten by cops when they would not give up their guns when the NOPD went door to door. They confiscated thousands of guns, from legal permitted people.

Many states, post Katrina passed laws to make sure that would never happen again. MA refused to pass such a bill... surprise huh.

http://www.gunowners.org/no02.htm

Giggan

Quote from: neggy on December 10, 2008, 08:43 AM NHFT
references? leave it blank and let them deny you, then fight it

That strategy can be quite dangerous...

Even if the law is 100% on your side, keep in mind these are bureaucrats, the law is what they say it is.

And having been denied, even if the denial is later rejected, could mean that forever you have to put that on applications for the question of whether you've ever been denied. That's a question for a lawyer.

If you fight it in court and get an anti-gun judge, your denial could stand...then you'd need to appeal, and we're talking legal fees. Most likely, if you're trying to get the thing, its because you want their approval, and even though you're not fully required to put info, understand the consequences of having those people not like you. If you're willing to accept them, great. If not, follow their rules without compromising your morals.

Hubbard

I;; try without refs.

As foir personal gun sales.... It was my understanding that if I sell a gun to someone and somehow that gun is used in a crime, I'm on the hook for it too.

neggy

As long as you sold the gun to a person who you know not to be a prohibited person, personally known to you, there isn't a problem, but you better be able to tell them to who and when you sold it.

Personally I have them sign a bill of sale, describing the gun, with their information, and a liability release that includes they are not a prohibited person JIC the cops come looking for the owner.

I don't have a problem selling someone I know a gun, but I'm not doing 20 to life for them.

Raineyrocks

MaineShark

Quote from: Kevin Dean on September 30, 2008, 03:08 PM NHFTMore and more, I'm convinced that the greatest power of a gun is it's ability to deter crime. I think it's a much more powerful thing to PREVENT situations where lethal force is being used on either side than it is to have lethal force handy if you need it (thought I don't discount that at all).

There's a reason that a pacifist like Gandhi said that gun control was the worst thing that Britain did to India.

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: Hubbard on December 10, 2008, 01:34 PM NHFT
As foir personal gun sales.... It was my understanding that if I sell a gun to someone and somehow that gun is used in a crime, I'm on the hook for it too.
Of course you're not. No more than you'd be charged with DWI if you sold a car to someone who then drove it while drunk.

The only way for police to even know you ever owned the gun, is if you bought it new from a dealer and they have the gun. When they have the gun used in a crime, they usually have the person who used it, so that leaves you completely out of it.

If you buy a used gun, even from a dealer, the chances of it being traced back to you are extremely remote, unless the dealer you bought it from also sold it to the original purchaser. The TV police drama version of gun traces are completely bogus (no surprise there, eh?)

Here's how it typically works: If police find a gun and can prove it was used in a crime, but they don't know where the gun came from, they can ask ATF to initiate a forward trace. ATF takes the make, model, and serial number, and asks the manufacturer who bought it (almost always a distributor). Then they go to the distributor, and find out which dealer bought it. Then they go to the dealer and comb through their records to see who bought it. Then they try to find the purchaser. If the purchaser is still at the same address to be found, and says he sold the gun but doesn't remember who bought it, and he has even a hint of an alibi, the trail ends.

Since crime guns are almost never acquired legally, police and ATF aren't going to spend the dozens of man-hours it takes to track down an original purchaser who almost certainly had nothing to do with the crime.

Pat McCotter

Which is one reason for the Tiahrt Amendment; to keep those like Bloomberg and Menino from harassing those original owners.