• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

open carry etiquette?

Started by Jared, October 04, 2008, 01:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

beretta92d

Quote from: Jared on October 11, 2008, 10:32 PM NHFT
so i bought the gun. unfortunately, (long story) i had to buy the gun in maine, at ktp. i LOVE ktp, but i would have liked to support a nh business. aw well. it took about 3 hours to buy the thing - had to wait for the background check to go through, then had to drive over the border to pick it up in nh.

So...(if you don't mind me asking) What'd cha get??

Here in Manchester,i've OC'd any place allowed by law(even walmart).never been asked to leave,but did have a guy at a pet store comment "well that's something you don't see everyday"..

also while visiting a citizens bank branch(that was located in a stop n shop) i did have a male teller hold his hand up to me(as if to stop me) while i was approaching the counter and ask if i had a permit to carry?(all while tripping over his own words).

BTW-just remembered something.while walking into a local grocery store at the same time a M.P.O came walking out and we passed each other by about 5-6ft and i don't think he even noticed..

William

Quote from: rmodel65 on October 11, 2008, 01:17 AM NHFT
I OC here in GA almost exclusively, I get stares and double looks etc. The only problem has been from LEOs, they like to ask questions and demand papers with an authority type voice tone in their voice which would lead someone to to believe they are seized. Here in GA we still have the common law right to resist an unlawful arrest. The next time I have an encounter I've decided I will state that I choose not to participate and walk away. IF that doesnt work then I will just keep asking, AM I FREE TO GO, and that i will answer no question without a lawyer :P

as or acting different, the first few times I was self conscience now its just like a pair of shoes to me.

Keep up the good work.

rmodel65

thanks i try, i had a motorcycle accident almost 1 year ago(10 days short) i havent been able to work since then. im broke because i refuse to take Soc Security, entitlements FTL:(

i went over to the island(st simons) today, its a big tourist locale. I carried onto the pier and around in the villiage directly adjacent. got a few looks, might venture over friday or sat night :P

Hubbard

Quote from: Giggan on October 05, 2008, 04:23 PM NHFT
I know someone who was asked to leave the Concord Wal Mart for open carry. I haven't open carried there myself.

One time I went into Jared while I was CC'ing, and a friend of mine had a small knife on his belt, which the guy asked for at the door. I of course didn't say anything, but goes to show how insecure that sort of security really is. I didn't notice signs or anything myself.

A friend of mine who's a cop open carried there and they confronted him, but left him alone after he flashed his badge.

I've open carried at the Tilton and Concord Wal-Mart stores. No problems yet.

Hubbard

Quote from: anthonybpugh on October 11, 2008, 01:47 AM NHFT
Open carry in a bar might not be a good idea, especially if you are planning on doing some drinking. 

Exactly. I was reading through to see if anyone was going to bring this up!

neggy

I don't know about NH, but most states have a law prohibiting carrying a gun on your person if you are under the influence of alcohol. I am not a lawyer, but anything over .02 is going to be an issue, .08 is prima fascie proof. I don't think they can compel a BAC on a misdemeanor gun charge, but I don't want to be the test case.

Open carry in a bar is just a bad idea. Open carry is a bad idea IMHO as it takes away any advantage you have in a hostile situation. I support the NH law that provides for open carry, but I don't advocate walking down the street with a GLOCK strapped to your leg in a tactical holster. When the SHTF the bad guys are going to take out the known threats first, and if you OC you are the first person down, unless there are cops there and they get shot at first.

Hubbard

Quote from: neggy on December 10, 2008, 08:57 AM NHFT
I don't know about NH, but most states have a law prohibiting carrying a gun on your person if you are under the influence of alcohol. I am not a lawyer, but anything over .02 is going to be an issue, .08 is prima fascie proof. I don't think they can compel a BAC on a misdemeanor gun charge, but I don't want to be the test case.

Open carry in a bar is just a bad idea. Open carry is a bad idea IMHO as it takes away any advantage you have in a hostile situation. I support the NH law that provides for open carry, but I don't advocate walking down the street with a GLOCK strapped to your leg in a tactical holster. When the SHTF the bad guys are going to take out the known threats first, and if you OC you are the first person down, unless there are cops there and they get shot at first.

Most bad guys are right around Addison's level of intelligence. I ain't skeered!!!

KBCraig

I don't know about NH, but most states have a law prohibiting carrying a gun on your person if you are under the influence of alcohol.

NH has no such silliness.

The "most states" with such a restriction, are the relative newcomers to letting ordinary citizens carry handguns, and/or "must issue" licensing. Until Florida started the "must issue" cascade, the states which had a tradition of easy licensing for many decades (NH, PA, WA, and a few others), didn't --and still don't-- restrict where you can carry or whether you can drink.

Even restrictive licensing states like MA and NY have very few restrictions once you actually have a license.

As for the rest of your arguments about OC in general, I suggest heading over to opencarry.org for some counter-arguments.  8)

William

Quote from: KBCraig on December 10, 2008, 01:39 PM NHFT
I don't know about NH, but most states have a law prohibiting carrying a gun on your person if you are under the influence of alcohol.

NH has no such silliness.

As for the rest of your arguments about OC in general, I suggest heading over to opencarry.org for some counter-arguments.  8)

+1

Pat McCotter

I support the NH law that provides for open carry,

There is no law that "provides for open carry" in NH. The lack of a law saying you cannot is what gives you leave to do so.

The NH Constitution articulates in Part 1st Article 2-a that "All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families and the state."

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteOpen carry in a bar is just a bad idea. Open carry is a bad idea IMHO as it takes away any advantage you have in a hostile situation.

I'm convinced that Open Carry is a very strong deterrance to the kind of hostile situation you're referring to. I think you're in bigger trouble than you let on if your ONLY hope is the element of surprise.

KBCraig

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 11, 2008, 01:14 PM NHFT
QuoteOpen carry in a bar is just a bad idea. Open carry is a bad idea IMHO as it takes away any advantage you have in a hostile situation.

I'm convinced that Open Carry is a very strong deterrance to the kind of hostile situation you're referring to. I think you're in bigger trouble than you let on if your ONLY hope is the element of surprise.

+1

"Tactical surprise" is only an advantage during offense, not defense. Once someone attacks, the element of surprise is lost for everyone involved.

The only advantage of concealment is if you're a third party; if you're carrying concealed, you can choose to be involved or not. If you're carrying openly, you're probably going to be automatically involved.

rmodel65

Quote from: KBCraig on December 11, 2008, 07:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 11, 2008, 01:14 PM NHFT

+1

"Tacticooll surprise" is only an advantage during offense, not defense. Once someone attacks, the element of surprise is lost for everyone involved.

The only advantage of concealment is if you're a third party; if you're carrying concealed, you can choose to be involved or not. If you're carrying openly, you're probably going to be automatically involved.

fixed /\