• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

how to remove the government, without resulting in chaos?

Started by Jared, October 05, 2008, 11:52 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Jared on October 06, 2008, 03:58 PM NHFT
i'm referring to all hell breaking lose, violence in the streets, looting, that sort of thing.
that happens in SouthCentral LA ... maybe we should get rid of the ruling system

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: error on October 06, 2008, 10:34 AM NHFT
Somalia is a bad example, since most of the violence stems from attempts to reinstitute a formal government.

A strong THIS. Simple and to the point. Thank you. +1

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: KBCraig on October 06, 2008, 12:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on October 06, 2008, 10:34 AM NHFT
Somalia is a bad example, since most of the violence stems from attempts to reinstitute a formal government.

That actually makes it a very good example.  :)

No, he means it's a bad example of a true anarchy. It IS a good example of how governments are just gangs wanting to have power over everyone though.

JAC

Chaos will ensue when the government is forcibly removed, without the consent of all those being governed.  If you and I somehow "ended government" today, then all those dependent on it will choose what, to them, is the default option: chaos.

However, there won't be any kind of "chaos" if the government is removed voluntarily thanks to the opting-out of individuals on a case-by-case, consensual basis - or the understanding that said individuals never, really "opted-in" to begin with.

Now, that is not to say there won't be violence, murder, theft, etc.  But these are human problems, innate to the human condition and inseparable from human existence.  Such problems will exist no matter what "system" - or "lack thereof" - we are living with.  But my understanding of the word "chaos", as used by most people when questioning anarchist philosophy, is a state of affairs in which arbitrary violence occurs without any real reason or motive by the perpetrators.  This sort of "chaos" will definitely occur if government is ended abruptly and without consent, but it will not occur under a voluntary anarchist society.

I suppose people are so used to organized, systematic coercion that they fear arbitrary violence, expressed by arbitrary people, more than they fear violence brought upon by a familiar and known enemy.  Again though, if we end the government consensually there will be no such "chaos" or "arbitrary violence" - at least, not any more than there would otherwise be.