• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tent cities

Started by Pat K, October 07, 2008, 04:47 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/01/eveningnews/main4493104.shtml

This is not just happening in Reno. Across the country, tent cities have either popped up or expanded in places like Seattle, Portland, Fresno, Columbus, and Chattanooga.

Puke

I wonder what the property taxes are on a tent?  :P

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Pat K on October 07, 2008, 04:47 AM NHFT
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/01/eveningnews/main4493104.shtml

This is not just happening in Reno. Across the country, tent cities have either popped up or expanded in places like Seattle, Portland, Fresno, Columbus, and Chattanooga.

Rick saw something like this in California; I think.   I'll ask him more about it if anybody wants to know more.  :)  I wouldn't mind doing something like this, it would be like a commune, (sp?), right?

Coconut

Someone I know... works on an Air Force Base with undisclosed job responsibilities (he tells his family he's a computer tech but it's clearly more than that). But he's been buying millions of dollars in supplies like tents and knives over the past 2 weeks.

Romak

I have to tell you if I had millions to spend I wouldnt be spending them on tents a knives.

Fluff and Stuff

Nor would anyone else unless they were in charge of a budget and that was what the budget was for.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Romak on October 07, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFT
I have to tell you if I had millions to spend I wouldnt be spending them on tents a knives.

I'd buy an island that we could live on if anyone wanted too.  :D

Romak

Ill move to an Island so long as you behave.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Romak on October 07, 2008, 12:41 PM NHFT

I always behave!  8)

Friday

I'm reading the book Financial Armageddon right now, and it's scarier than a Steven King novel.   :o  I just learned about "Hoovervilles", shantytowns that people lived in during the Great Depression.  Maybe we can call the new ones "Living Under a Bush".  :P

Friday

Quote from: Coconut on October 07, 2008, 11:43 AM NHFT
Someone I know... works on an Air Force Base with undisclosed job responsibilities (he tells his family he's a computer tech but it's clearly more than that). But he's been buying millions of dollars in supplies like tents and knives over the past 2 weeks.
I don't get what you mean.  Do you mean he is stocking up for himself?  Or buying stuff that he thinks he'll be able to resell later for a profit? Or are you implying that the stuff is for some pending military operation?

Romak

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 07, 2008, 12:49 PM NHFT
Quote from: Romak on October 07, 2008, 12:41 PM NHFT

I always behave!  8)

Thats too bad, guess Im not moving then  ;D

Coconut

Quote from: Friday on October 07, 2008, 12:58 PM NHFT
I don't get what you mean.  Do you mean he is stocking up for himself?  Or buying stuff that he thinks he'll be able to resell later for a profit? Or are you implying that the stuff is for some pending military operation?

He's buying stuff for the government as part of his job. Just looks like they're getting ready for something.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Friday on October 07, 2008, 12:56 PM NHFT
I'm reading the book Financial Armageddon right now, and it's scarier than a Steven King novel.   :o  I just learned about "Hoovervilles", shantytowns that people lived in during the Great Depression.  Maybe we can call the new ones "Living Under a Bush".  :P

Wow, my husband would love to live under a bush!  ::) >:D

Is the book your reading fictional?  What kind of scary stuff does it have in it?   :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Coconut on October 07, 2008, 01:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on October 07, 2008, 12:58 PM NHFT

He's buying stuff for the government as part of his job. Just looks like they're getting ready for something.

It is getting so difficult not to panic but I'm trying.  :-\