• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tent cities

Started by Pat K, October 07, 2008, 04:47 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Romak

If all those in power are going to bring are tents and knives Id say even the most passive resister should be ok. Will people be allowed to bring sleeping bags because its going to be mighty cold in November when they have this planned. Is this going down before or after the elections? Something tells me they'll wait to see who it looks like is going to win. If Mccain be ready for 4 more years of Bush type leadership. If Obama expect something to go down and the elections to be suspended. If Ron Paul looks like he'll win via the write in, Im going to Jamaica for some much needed R&R :)

Friday

Quote from: raineyrocks on October 07, 2008, 01:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on October 07, 2008, 12:56 PM NHFT
I'm reading the book Financial Armageddon right now, and it's scarier than a Steven King novel.   :o  I just learned about "Hoovervilles", shantytowns that people lived in during the Great Depression.  Maybe we can call the new ones "Living Under a Bush".  :P

Wow, my husband would love to live under a bush!  ::) >:D

Is the book your reading fictional?  What kind of scary stuff does it have in it?   :)
No, it's nonfiction.  It's by a financial analyst who describes how he expects the U.S. economy to collapse.  He believes it will be worse than the Great Depression.  Part of what's so scary about it is that he wrote it a few years ago and some things are now happening exactly as he predicted.

One thing that worries me is that most Americans, myself included, live very different lifestyles than people did back in the 30's when 1 in 4 Americans was unemployed.  Back then, people tended to live with, or very close to, their families (my grandparents spent their entire lives within a few-block radius, and had dozens and dozens of brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles within walking distance to help each other out.  A lot of people, even city people, kept chickens and vegetable gardens back then.  All women knew how to cook and sew.

My nearest relative is 1 1/2 hours away by car, and unless a chicken comes in a box with Colonel Sanders' face on it, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with it. (I'm exaggerating a bit here... I can cook chicken, if it's *available for me to buy at the grocery store* ).  If I try to sew a button back on, it falls off. :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Friday on October 07, 2008, 04:28 PM NHFT
I'm reading the book Financial Armageddon right now, and it's scarier than a Steven King novel.   :o  I just learned about "Hoovervilles", shantytowns that people lived in during the Great Depression.  Maybe we can call the new ones "Living Under a Bush".  :P

Is the book your reading fictional?  What kind of scary stuff does it have in it?   :)
No, it's nonfiction.  It's by a financial analyst who describes how he expects the U.S. economy to collapse.  He believes it will be worse than the Great Depression.  Part of what's so scary about it is that he wrote it a few years ago and some things are now happening exactly as he predicted.

One thing that worries me is that most Americans, myself included, live very different lifestyles than people did back in the 30's when 1 in 4 Americans was unemployed.  Back then, people tended to live with, or very close to, their families (my grandparents spent their entire lives within a few-block radius, and had dozens and dozens of brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles within walking distance to help each other out.  A lot of people, even city people, kept chickens and vegetable gardens back then.  All women knew how to cook and sew.

My nearest relative is 1 1/2 hours away by car, and unless a chicken comes in a box with Colonel Sanders' face on it, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with it. (I'm exaggerating a bit here... I can cook chicken, if it's *available for me to buy at the grocery store* ).  If I try to sew a button back on, it falls off. :-\

I'm coming to find that a lot of books and movies that were written/shown a few years ago are coming to pass now, it's very weird, like they all knew something we didn't.  :-\

Your so right about most families being spread out and emotionally distant too, I think it was the "trend" and most people bought it hook, line, and sinker.   The media knew how to spin the divide and conquer stuff that's for sure, it's done with races and sexuality also at least that's what I believe.

My nana knew how to survive in the wilderness and I wish she was still alive, (because I love her too), she was so self sufficient.  I used to think she was mean when she would go outside and cut chicken's heads off and of course my favorite drake that I cried over for days.  Actually I still think she was mean but she would've got through this stuff coming our way that's for sure.  :)

It's strange to me that the time people should really be coming together to make existence possible they will probably kill each other and steal instead, another screwed up mindset, huh?

John Edward Mercier

Practice. Even in good economic times, at least being partially self-sufficient is valuable.
A really good test for the homestead is to shut off the power and determine what you either need to do without, or find a more traditional way to provide.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on October 08, 2008, 10:24 AM NHFT
Practice. Even in good economic times, at least being partially self-sufficient is valuable.
A really good test for the homestead is to shut off the power and determine what you either need to do without, or find a more traditional way to provide.

That is a great idea and I actually wanted to do that for a homeschool lesson when the kids were studying "colonial times", we just met some resistance; my husband.  ::)

Romak

We learned that the hard way upon moving to the country 5 years ago. Our power was knocked out for 4 days in the middle of winter with two little ones both under a year old at the time. It was not fun. Since then we have enough gas and backup generators to run at least a month if need be. We just have to do without a dryer and dishwasher.........fooey. A really good woodstove with 10 cords of extra wood will help as well. Never rely on anyone to help you. The power company was so busy with the cities that they didnt get to our house for 4 days and when they did it literally took them 1/2 hour to fix the issue. Never gonna happen again.

David

Quote from: Friday on October 07, 2008, 04:28 PM NHFT

Prior to moving I considered this.  I have believed the country was headed for trouble for quite some time, and I knew if I moved i would be away from family.  The relative closeness within the group here has replaced that fear to some extent.  Close knit communities, weather on not they be family, always seem to do better than others.  The frequent get togethers and parties help. 

On the flip side, gov'ts are gonna start going bankrupt. Yay!!! ;D >:D  My job, is to not join them. 

Recumbent ReCycler

I've been thinking about building something like this, just in case, but my version would be made from structural insulated panels consisting of foam insulation board and fiberglass sheets, and it would be more of a pop-up design.  I would probably make the inside 3.5' wide by 7.5' long, with 3" thick insulated walls.  Solar panels would be a nice addition.

Something like this might be better for more than 2 people if you have a motor vehicle to tow it with.

People living in tents on public property sometimes get persecuted by government.

Here's a "tent city" in Nashville, but it's hidden away in an attempt to avoid detection.

Here are some more "tent citys".

Here's an underground one.

BillKauffman

QuoteOne thing that worries me is that most Americans, myself included, live very different lifestyles than people did back in the 30's when 1 in 4 Americans was unemployed.  Back then, people tended to live with, or very close to, their families (my grandparents spent their entire lives within a few-block radius, and had dozens and dozens of brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles within walking distance to help each other out.  A lot of people, even city people, kept chickens and vegetable gardens back then.  All women knew how to cook and sew.

In eastern philosophy crisis and opportunity are represented by the same symbol.

This will spark a renewal of interest in "neo-agrarianism" and localism and maybe even unite greens, libertarian, and traditionalists.

http://www.newagrarian.com/newagrarian/eightfold/index.html

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Romak on October 08, 2008, 12:31 PM NHFT
We learned that the hard way upon moving to the country 5 years ago. Our power was knocked out for 4 days in the middle of winter with two little ones both under a year old at the time. It was not fun. Since then we have enough gas and backup generators to run at least a month if need be. We just have to do without a dryer and dishwasher.........fooey. A really good woodstove with 10 cords of extra wood will help as well. Never rely on anyone to help you. The power company was so busy with the cities that they didnt get to our house for 4 days and when they did it literally took them 1/2 hour to fix the issue. Never gonna happen again.

That must have been pretty scary, especially with babies.  I have this book "When Techonology Fails" by Matthew Stein because I don't like to rely on anyone either. 

I'm glad everything was okay!  :D

Romak

Yes thankfully everything was OK and we had family not too far away who housed my children while I froze to death getting everything up and running and attempting to prevent my pipes from freezing. In the end I learned a lot and it will most definitely not happen again. I'll check out that book, burned through 3 books this week and I don't have anything else to read. I really wish I had more than one brain. Is your island up and running? I could use some sun.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Romak on October 08, 2008, 06:52 PM NHFT
Yes thankfully everything was OK and we had family not too far away who housed my children while I froze to death getting everything up and running and attempting to prevent my pipes from freezing. In the end I learned a lot and it will most definitely not happen again. I'll check out that book, burned through 3 books this week and I don't have anything else to read. I really wish I had more than one brain. Is your island up and running? I could use some sun.

I know what you mean, I have 5 books in different rooms that I'm reading at the same time depending on what room I'm in, blah, blah.   I'm sure you know what I mean.  :P

My island is always up and running, in my mind that is!   8)   I could use some sun, a Pina Colada, the sound of the ocean, a hammock and a Stephen King book.   Oh yeah a massage with fresh coconut milk would be nice too!  :D

Friday

Quote from: BillKauffman on October 08, 2008, 02:59 PM NHFT
In eastern philosophy crisis and opportunity are represented by the same symbol.
"Every 'problem', Mr. Higgins, is an opportunity in disguise."  (blatant ploy to make Kevin Dean give me more karma  >:D

This will spark a renewal of interest in "neo-agrarianism" and localism and maybe even unite greens, libertarian, and traditionalists.

http://www.newagrarian.com/newagrarian/eightfold/index.html
Sorry, but I'd be more of a neoneanderthal if it came to it.  I'm much too lazy to farm.  Also, the fruits of modern agriculture are killing me.  :pizza: :occasion14: :help:

BillKauffman

QuoteI'm much too lazy to farm.

Neo-agrarianism isn't about farming.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: BillKauffman on October 08, 2008, 08:35 PM NHFT
QuoteI'm much too lazy to farm.

Neo-agrarianism isn't about farming.

Yeah, it's about robots farming. The Venus Project, Bill?