• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Why New Hampshire?

Started by K. Darien Freeheart, October 07, 2008, 02:30 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

K. Darien Freeheart

Okay, so it took me WAY to long to actually sit down and do this.

I attended a Free State Project local group in Maryland several weeks ago once Rich Goldman made me aware they were happening. It was neat all-in-all.

One of the subjects that was brought up was the Free State Project's "101 Reasons To Move To New Hampshire". The problems with that thing come down to:

1.) It's out of date
2.) It heavily emphasizes political activism (it was written well before the non-political activists really started shining)
3.) Nobody is maintaining it
4.) The original wasn't documented. Many of the figures and facts can't be verified. NH might have been ranked #1 in 2005, but may have been rated #1 again in 2008, but we don't know!

So, my solution was to essentially rip off Ian Freeman's idea from Free Keene and begin a "list". But rather than make it a simple list, I've made it into a website where the reasons can be viewed. Additionally, I'm citing sources if I can find them and I'm tagging the reasons so that someone one the fence can see what is important to them.

Example: Homeschooling Mom might want to see why New Hampshire is a good place for the kids, she clicks "Family" and is shown that New Hampshire isn't constitutionally mandated to have public education like other states.

Dad from the same family wants to know about his gun rights, so clicks "Gun" and sees that Open Carry doesn't require a permit and is linked to OpenCarry.org's site on NH law.

The site: http://www.whynewhampshire.org/

On the site, there's also a form for submitting new reasons why New Hampshire is awesome. I hope the people here will flood that with reasons. They can be statewide, or you can say that your favorite Chinese place has great egg rolls. Big or small, liberty oriented or not, any reason why you think New Hampshire is a great place to live!

To make it even more interesting, feel free to use videos or images or sounds in your submission. You can say the fall colors are great, but pictures tell the story better. :)

Jared

why new hampshire? because i SAY new hampshire, bitch :iroc:

K. Darien Freeheart

KBCraig

Looks good! I made a couple of comments to elaborate.

K. Darien Freeheart

Thanks!

I've sent you an e-mail, I just went through them. I've actually pulled two new reasons out of your one of your comments and posted the other.

Thanks!

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Jared on October 07, 2008, 04:02 PM NHFT
why new hampshire? because i SAY new hampshire, bitch :iroc:

'nuff said!

mongo

Let me just say This about That!

I sent you a couple suggestions too.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI sent you a couple suggestions too.

I have to be honest, when I read them, the tone suggests you're being sarcastic. I was almost entirely going to ignore the mosquito one (it was certainly FUNNY, and I learned a bit about mosquitos in Alaska) until someone else submitted a suggestion that bugs aren't a problem. I think that one might be entirely subjective depending on where you set your baseline. I'll look into this one since my wife HATES bugs, so knowing that actually WOULD be a valuable reason.

As to the speed limit, are you referring to residential areas or highway? I can't imagine that the highway speed limit it actually 30 MPH and it's been 25 MPH in every residential area I've been in. As of October 2008, it seems that New Hampshire's interstate is set to 65 and that's right around average for the nation.

I also wanna bump this thread. I've gotten some great submissions, and thanks to Cynthia even gotten to post pictures from fellow liberty lovers (Manuel Lora and shyfrog as of now) for some of them. The site is now picked up on the Free State Project's blog feeds and since then the pace has picked up a ton!

Thanks for all of your submissions.

And Ian, thanks for submitting the 108.5 reasons Keene rocks. The site was partially inspired by that list and the reason they're not all up there yet is because it's a long list that needs some research and sources. I'll gather them for sure, but some more general New Hampshire stuff is being plucked from existing lists (like the FSP 101 reasons) first.

Porcupine_in_MA

Looks like Rev. Ryan got in his addition. 8)

Fluff and Stuff

This is good stuff.  I commented on a lot of stuff and may actually get around to posting stuff before the end of the world.

Areté

Pretty sweet site! Keep up the good work. 8)

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteLooks like Rev. Ryan got in his addition.

I don't think Ryan added anything, what did you have in mind?

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Kevin Dean on October 17, 2008, 09:09 PM NHFT
QuoteLooks like Rev. Ryan got in his addition.

I don't think Ryan added anything, what did you have in mind?

Oh it was the bit about Moxie. My favorite drink. It's already there. I made Ryan a fan of it and thought he had added it to your site.