• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Director of the Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space (EOS)

Started by Recumbent ReCycler, October 10, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Recumbent ReCycler

I just got this in my inbox.  I'm guessing they are probably looking for someone with a PhD.
QuoteOctober 10, 2008
Dear colleagues,

As a first step in the important process of recruiting, screening, and recommending candidates for the Director of the Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space (EOS), I am pleased to announce the appointment of the Search Committee, established upon recommendation of the EOS Executive Committee. Our goal is to recruit and appoint an individual who will continue and expand upon the excellent leadership provided by Berrien Moore and Roy Torbert. The Search Committee includes the following members:

Janet Campbell,[ co-chair] Research Professor
Taylor Eighmy, [co-chair] VP Research
John Aber, Professor, Natural Resources and the Environment
David Bartlett, Research Professor, EOS Administration
Tom Brady, Dean, College of Life Sciences and Agriculture
Jeanne Davis, Assistant Director, Space Science Center
Jack Dibb, Research Associate Professor,
Climate Change Research Center
Terry Forbes, Research Professor, Space Science Center
Steve Frolking, Research Associate Professor,
Complex Systems Research Center
Chris Glass, Director, NE Consortium
Jennifer Hegarty, Graduate Student
Larry Mayer, Director, Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping
Eberhard Moebius, Professor of Physics, Space Science Center
Bob Talbot, Director, Climate Change Research Center
Mark Twickler, Research Project Manager III,
Ruth Varner, Research Associate Professor,

EOS was established in 1985 to consolidate several separate UNH research programs in Earth, ocean, and space sciences and align them with emerging national priorities, and "...to develop some [UNH] research and educational programs of a national and international reputation." EOS shares faculty and graduate students with numerous departments across the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS) and the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture (COLSA), as well as with the cross-college PhD program in Natural Resources and Earth Systems Science (NRESS), the largest PhD program at the University, currently enrolling more than 70 students. In 2006 EOS was designated as UNH's first "University Institute," conferring an expanded and permanent role in the University's research, education, external engagement, and governance functions, equivalent to UNH Colleges.

The research and scholarship mission of the Institute is to develop quantitative descriptions and in-depth understanding of the Earth and its setting in the universe. The teaching mission of the Institute is to educate outstanding students capable of advancing our understanding of the Earth and its setting in the universe – with emphasis on engagement of graduate students in the research programs of Institute faculty. The external engagement mission is to help shape the intellectual character and the appreciation of knowledge in our state and country, and in international communities in the broad arena of Earth and space sciences. The Institute is organized around 4 Research Centers: The Climate Change Research Center (CCRC), the Complex Systems Research Center (CSRC), the Ocean Process Analysis Laboratory (OPAL), and the Space Science Center (SSC). In depth information about the Institute, its programs and faculty can be found at: http://www.eos.unh.edu.

Dr. Wanda Mitchell, Vice Provost for Diversity, will work closely with the committee to create a strong and diverse pool of internal and external candidates, through both formal and informal means. The Search Committee will determine finalists for campus interviews and make final recommendations to me. I encourage all members of the University Community to utilize your professional networks in order to forward qualified nominations to the Committee. Nominations and other communication with the Committee can be addressed to: EOS.Search@unh.edu

Sincerely,

Bruce L. Mallory
Provost and Executive Vice President