• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

reactions to the idea of homeschooling

Started by Jared, October 11, 2008, 11:14 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

whenever i mention that i plan to homeschool my children, 99% of all people react with shock, and suddenly decide that it is their business to talk me out of it. is it just me?

AntonLee

god no.  I had the discussion at work with some "liberty leaning" individuals.  They, too, were shocked and asked me if I wanted to be a hermit.  I usually try to explain the difference between intelligent design and evolution, which most people on an elementary level understand.  I explain to them that if all of a sudden everyone in town wanted to teach that Lizard Men from the planet Zoobaiah created the earth by farting it out of their immense butts (which are also where their brains are located).  I could tell them that there is a majority of people who believe in such, therefore it's going to be taught as fact or close to fact.

They were horrified, they thought I was crazy to even suggest such a thing.  I asked them what they would do.  "I'd take my kid outta that school"

and where would you send them?  Private school?  "no, I can't afford to send them there, but if I could I would"

and what would happen if those private schools received funding from the government, which meant that they, too, had to teach about the great Lizard Men who created our planet from their flatulence.

before they could answer, I gave them an idea. . . perhaps you could teach your children what it was that YOU believed was right.  It's not wrong of people to believe in anything, no matter how silly it would be to you.  The problem is, is that you would be forced to pay for it. 

A couple of them came around, one of them thought I was "a crazy anarchist" and thus everyone moved on.  I usually try and end my conversations with "think about that before you go to sleep tonight"-- because I think in most cases they will.

John Edward Mercier

Ask them this way...
If you where wealthy and money no object would you chose to educate your child by...

Public School
Private School
Private Tutor

Toadstool

I talk to my child's mother about this and she DEMANDS he go to Public School...I hope she comes around.
I would love if my child didn't waste his time in a place for Socializing instead of educating. 

I learned nothing in school.  But a few years and good ole Google, I have mastered MANY things.

HOME SCHOOL! FTW!

MissNiki

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on October 11, 2008, 12:26 PM NHFT
Ask them this way...
If you where wealthy and money no object would you chose to educate your child by...

Public School
Private School
Private Tutor

Absolutely!!! People are taught to be afraid of what they don't know. Also, when parents think about homeschooling their children usually the parents "inadequacies" bare their ugly horns. Mostly because we are raised thinking that if you are not a teacher you aren't smart enough to teach something. One of the big things my mom got when she home schooled my brother and me was " what about the social aspect? you don't want your children being hermits do you?" Which is also total crap! anyways.... Kudos to you!!! Your child is your responsibility, and a parent always knows best!! 

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Toadstool on October 11, 2008, 01:51 PM NHFT
I learned nothing in school. 

You must not have been paying attention.  I learned plenty:

That the benefits of education are paid lip-service to, but that book-learning is really just for weirdos, boat-rockers, and trouble-makers.

That a boy's degree of humanity is directly proportional to his interest in athletics.

That in any altercation, the victim is guilty and the perpetrator is not.

That adults are always right, no matter how often they contradict themselves or one another.

. . . And much, much more besides!

doobie

Usually the biggest thing people say when I say I plan to homeschool my kids, is "but what about the social interaction!"  My usual response is, most kids in my town are home schooled, I'm sure at least a few hours a day they can all have recess together, and actually have fun rather than being robots in a play ground that has safety and boring written all over it!

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: doobie on October 11, 2008, 04:47 PM NHFT
Usually the biggest thing people say when I say I plan to homeschool my kids, is "but what about the social interaction!" 

I usually respond that they can always arrange for a gang of kids to come beat them up two or three times a month . . .

MTPorcupine3

Three of my shows cover this topic. Go to www.sovereign-solutions.info or Google video search "sovereign solutions ben graydon". Ben heads Parents United in Responsibility for Education, <www.pureducation.com> (the site is either down or no longer exists as of a minute ago). And if you'd like fodder to convince the sheeple around you why public "education" is not a good idea, see my shows featuring Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt <www.deliberatedumbingdown.com> and Norm Dodd with G. Edward Griffin.

As for me, I resent having been put through the Public Fool System. One of the worst things about the system is that it produces people like your friends and acquaintances who think that "Public school" is the only way to go.

David

Quote from: Toadstool on October 11, 2008, 01:51 PM NHFT
I talk to my child's mother about this and she DEMANDS he go to Public School...I hope she comes around.
I would love if my child didn't waste his time in a place for Socializing instead of educating. 

I learned nothing in school.  But a few years and good ole Google, I have mastered MANY things.

HOME SCHOOL! FTW!

My sister is a single mother, and will not likely be able to home school, but her and our mother are great about reading a book to her about every night.  I have no doubt in my mind that it will be immensely helpful to her daughter.  I encourage you to 'homeschool' your child to the extent that you can.  No need to make it boring.  Be creative and find inventive ways to help weave something useful into your time spent with him/her.  Most homeschool parents are more than glad to tell you how they do it, just talk to them, you may get some useful ideas.   :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Jared on October 11, 2008, 11:14 AM NHFT
whenever i mention that i plan to homeschool my children, 99% of all people react with shock, and suddenly decide that it is their business to talk me out of it. is it just me?
man ... you need new friends
way more than 1% of the NH population homeschools their kids
all the cool parents are doing it :)

ByronB

I had very little to no official schooling (and didn't really follow any textbook system either) other then some college and trade school and I turned out pretty freaking smart compared to the average kid in public school... I think I may have missed out on a bit of social interaction, but I caught on pretty quick once I moved out of the sticks... I still need to brush up on my English skills and maybe take some more complicated math... but I stand as proof that virtually NO formal education is better then public education (the first college class I took at age 15 I got the top grade in the class).

I am not claiming to be a genius (because I'm really NOT) but I think that going to school so long and being FORCED to learn hardens people against learning (similar to what happened with me and religion in general... if I were to listen to any religious preaching it would go in one ear and out the other, even if I tried to pay attention). Once they go through this system they see learning as a monotonous task to be avoided and not as something new and exciting to be discovered... Plus I think that public education (to minors at the very minimum) should be banned so as to be a check on our government and prevent them from brainwashing future generations into believing in their legitimacy.

Kat Kanning

I got to witness the effects of public school "socialization" recently. These girls are going straight from the public schools to the prisons.  All of them seemed to know each other from high school.

Regarding the criticism, it really depends on what kind of crowd you're hanging out with.  Among christians and libertarians, you won't get much argument :)

AntonLee

tell me about it. . .my "best friend" in the whole wide world. . . just answered a myspace survey explaining that while she smokes weed. . .she doesn't believe in legalization because too many people would smoke it in front of children.

this is the girl that smoked cigarettes while she was pregnant.

I definitely need new friends.

MissNiki

Quote from: AntonLee on October 12, 2008, 07:43 AM NHFT
tell me about it. . .my "best friend" in the whole wide world. . . just answered a myspace survey explaining that while she smokes weed. . .she doesn't believe in legalization because too many people would smoke it in front of children.

this is the girl that smoked cigarettes while she was pregnant.

I definitely need new friends.

Ur kidding?? ... thats just sad... I would have to agree. You do need new friends! When you moving? ;D