• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

If You Vote, You Can't Complain

Started by dalebert, October 14, 2008, 11:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

An excerpt:

QuoteMany people seem to think I don't want to impact politics. That couldn't be further from the truth. Like all "small-L" libertarians, I see politics as force backed by the the threat of violence, which is the opposite of freedom, and I absolutely want to see a substantial reduction in the impact of politics on our personal lives. However, to do this effectively, I must recognize politics as the enemy.
When I choose not to vote, it's just a small first step. I'm speaking out against the process itself and it seriously muddles my message if I engage in the process while speaking out against it. But I still have the potential to impact the process from outside of it. Anarchy or voluntaryism is not a binary all-or-nothing strategy. We can make progress toward liberty right now. Consider a viral message against the process itself and the positive impact that could have on political decisions.

Read the rest.

Kat Kanning

Vitruvian

dalebert

KBCraig

Excellent piece, Dale! I just linked to it on a local forum, where the "If you don't vote you can't complain!" faction is in full voice. And of course, they really mean "If you don't vote for one of the Big Two..."  ::)

dalebert

Kat Kanning

Could I use this in the paper?  I like your latest cartoon, too.

Lloyd Danforth

I'm going to vote and I'm going to complain too!

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

maybe if you stopped voting you could have Dale's sunny disposition.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: KBCraig on October 15, 2008, 03:34 PM NHFT
Excellent piece, Dale! I just linked to it on a local forum, where the "If you don't vote you can't complain!" faction is in full voice. And of course, they really mean "If you don't vote for one of the Big Two..."  ::)

Well, what they mean is that they want you to become part of the system: "Jooooiiiiiin uuuusssss!"  Ninety percent of all human interaction reduces down to Invasion of the Body Snatchers . . .

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Vitruvian on October 15, 2008, 08:07 AM NHFT
No joke - I just read this last night: An Open Letter to Harry Browne from John Pugsley

Would I have found this movement were it not for Harry's two presidential runs?  Possibly, but no way to know for sure.

While I understand and agree with much of what Pugsley has to say, I'm very pleased that Harry ran for president.  That's how I was led to his book, "Why Government Doesn't Work", and down the rabbit hole I went.

dalebert

Quote from: Kat Kanning on October 16, 2008, 04:16 AM NHFT
Could I use this in the paper?  I like your latest cartoon, too.

It's so cute how you keep politely asking when you know what my answer will be. :) Remind me the size of the printed comic so I can get you the right resolution. I'll even switch it to B&W and see if I need to tweak the tones a bit to show up better.

FTL_Ian

For future reference, anything Free Keene bloggers write should be considered public domain.  No permission needed to reprint.  Including a mention of the source website is a nice courtesy.