• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Live Free or Die Festival Boycott *WITHDRAWN*

Started by FTL_Ian, October 16, 2008, 09:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ArvinJA

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 09:08 AM NHFT
I was quite disappointed when Ron Paul's campaign started running commercials spots about border enforcement.   >:(
He did, did he? I thiught his stance was pragmatic (for example, he doesn't want immigrants coming in to leech), I didn't know he was a Chuck Baldwin...

FTL_Ian

Quote from: ArvinJA on October 17, 2008, 03:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 09:08 AM NHFT
I was quite disappointed when Ron Paul's campaign started running commercials spots about border enforcement.   >:(
He did, did he? I thiught his stance was pragmatic (for example, he doesn't want immigrants coming in to leech), I didn't know he was a Chuck Baldwin...

Well, he *did* endorse Baldwin.   :P

jaqeboy

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 01:29 PM NHFT
Thank you for the suggestion, Jack.  I'm sure if I lived over in Jaffrey, I'd get to know Jean.  As it is, I have lots of people here to get to know.  Jean seems like a nice man who is trying too hard to make everyone happy.  It wouldn't matter to me (as it's apparently not a pro-liberty event and I have other things to do on a Saturday) if Jean doesn't "do it my way".  I was just informing him of how I felt about his decision.

Quoteyou're new here...

Are you saying I should just keep my mouth shut because I'm "new"?  Does that mean my opinion is worth less than those who have been here longer?

No, it's about what works and what doesn't work... Just slamming someone without even having met and talked to him qualifies as "not working", if you goal is to build alliances and movement size and strength.

Approaching someone with "Hey, this sounds like a great event you've got planned. Is there some way I can help make it more successful? Oh, and, by the way, I have a couple of concerns I'd like to talk to you about... You know that group "so and so" - here's something you should consider, etc. etc." would be more in the "what works" camp as far as building esprit de corps and long-term friendships, n'cest pas?

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 01:29 PM NHFT
Since Jean has lived here longer, he'll always have "senority", so should I always keep my mouth shut?  Or is there a certain number of years that removes the "new" label?

Yeah, they say that after 6 generations, you're not a newbie anymore.  ;D

shyfrog

FTL_Ian

Jack, I don't suppose you'd considered that I have actually met Jean a few times and have assisted in minor ways in helping promote his event.  Perhaps that's why he included me on his original list of people he e-mailed about this?

Anyway.  I'm withdrawing my call for a boycott after the following e-mail conversation with Jean occurred today.  I wrote:

Jean,

Some of my associates suggested we'd had a miscommunication yesterday, so I have a question that I think will help you understand where I'm coming from.

Would you allow a group of DRUG law enforcers to set up a table at LFoD?

Best,
Ian

QuoteIf they wanted to, why not? Its made clear at the volunteers meeting its a public event so don't be smoking pot in full view or drinking under age etc. Its not a private event that people are picked out to be invited. It is a public event and anyone is welcome to attend like every year. Anyone is welcome to speak for or against any of the topic's being addressed. Even the marijuana laws, helmet rights, etc. Of course I don't go looking for someone to speak against marijuana laws reform,but, its an open forum & they have the right to their opinions too if they wanted to speak. A.F.A. miscommunication, I really don't know what to do. People are creating problems that don't even exist at the event or what the event is about. I'm trying to be fair with keeping everyones first amendment rights in mind. Again, I feel drawing the line on display's of racial rancor  should be good enough. Poker Face wasn't even guilty of that. Many felt their music is good & if their not singing about anti semetism that should be good enough. I guess I can't make everyone happy. Hopefully I'll figure out something. Thanx Again, Mike C.

Thanks Jean.  I really appreciate you hearing me out.  Now I feel like I have a better understanding of what your event is about: free speech, not liberty.  Since your position has been made clear, I may decide to attend with some friends in 2009, but I can't say I'm as motivated as I once was.

I feel like I can relate to your situation.  As someone who runs a radio show where lots of people have opinions about what I should be doing, I highly encourage you to continue doing what you think is best.

Follow your heart, regardless of what anyone might think,
Ian

John

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 02:27 PM NHFTHmm... I wonder if John counts as "new" [.......], since he used to live in Mass.

Funny you would mention Mass.  My recollection is that the fear-mongering stories from that anti-immigrant speaker were mostly stories about Mass. and how dangerously close those horrible immigrants were getting to New Hampshire.

While the racist stuff was most surprising, my biggest overall concern was that the event (that 1st year) seemed to be more pro government-restriction than anything about living Free. Kind of like; I like a lot of government when I'm the one making the rules. It seems to me - and I could very well be wrong - that the anti-Freedom speakers were the event's main speakers.

I wish I had a list of the speakers to refresh my memory. I seem to recall speakers on; anti helmet law, pro putting the words "Live Free or Die" on the state flag, pro government controlling more land in that area, and the big anti-immigrant thing.

I'm thinking maybe I should go again. Maybe I can be part of the pro-Liberty contingent.

FTL_Ian

Email from Jean:

QuoteThanx Ian.
    I guess I shouldn't refer to it as a liberty event where you've made good points. I think though for the most part it supports many pro liberty stances & I'll try to discourage anti liberty vendors or endorsers. Its a unique event & learning as I go. Thank you for the input, keep it coming. Jean C.

John

FTL_Ian

dalebert

Hmm... The name sure seems to imply a liberty event.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: dalebert on October 17, 2008, 06:11 PM NHFT
Hmm... The name sure seems to imply a liberty event.

Yeah.  I suggested he subtitle it, "A celebration of free speech".

dalebert

Oh, I have an idea! How about the LFOWTTSTCPTYPAIYDLTCAWBHGTFO Festival? (Live Free Or Work Through The System To Coerce People To Your Preferences And If You Don't Love This Country And Weren't Born Here GTFO Festival)

"Die" sounds too purist and intolerant of compromise anyway.

William

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 05:42 PM NHFT
Email from Jean:

QuoteThanx Ian.
    I guess I shouldn't refer to it as a liberty event where you've made good points. I think though for the most part it supports many pro liberty stances & I'll try to discourage anti liberty vendors or endorsers. Its a unique event & learning as I go. Thank you for the input, keep it coming. Jean C.

:)

jaqeboy

jaqeboy

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 17, 2008, 05:03 PM NHFT
Jack, I don't suppose you'd considered that I have actually met Jean a few times and have assisted in minor ways in helping promote his event.  Perhaps that's why he included me on his original list of people he e-mailed about this?

No, I was under the impression you hadn't met him and were just sniping from the keyboard. Sorry I got it wrong. You should talk with him also about the legal aspects of the event and the court struggles he had with the town trying to prevent free speech from happening in the public square. That's probably (those legal struggles) part of why he doesn't charge for a table or restrict attenders - that would make it a commercial event - different guidelines and the town could then just not permit it. Talk to Mike for further details on that.