• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question for Thoreau Fans

Started by dalebert, October 17, 2008, 03:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I want to make sure I get the quote right. It's out of context on purpose. Some will hopefully see it right away and it can be a reminder of our duty to defy bad laws. For others, hopefully it will be a conversation starter. The line is from when his brother (I think) asks him why he's in there (jail) and he answers something like "The real question is why are you out there?"

Also, I've made two versions. In one, the photo of Thoreau has clean hard edges. In the other, the edges are blurred into the white background. Which do you think looks better? I'm probably also going to fiddle with the text to make it look kind of old-style like an old typewriter printed it.

dalebert

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm terribly embarrassed that I don't already know the answer to this and am buying some of his books shortly. They're already on my Borders wish list!

Coconut

I've never heard of this quote, and know very little about Thoreau history.

Anyway, there's this thing called google.com where you can type in just about anything and it finds stuff:

QuoteThe one night he spent in jail in civil protest led to a legendary story around Concord. Apparently, Emerson, walking by the jailhouse said to Thoreau through the window, "Henry, what are you doing in there?" To which Thoreau replied, "The right question is, Ralph, why are you out there?" A reference to Thoreau's standing up for his convictions against slavery, taxes, etc.
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-I4JaicUoeqgoFA_O4TQKZtnyA.8-?cq=1&tag=henrydavidthoreau

QuoteThoreau refused to pay extra taxes whose purpose was to raise money for the war effort. When he was jailed, as the story goes, he was visited in prison by his friend Ralph Waldo Emerson, who said to Thoreau, "Henry, why are you in there?" Thoreau replied, "Ralph, why are you out there?"
http://www.democraticunderground.com/cgi-bin/duforum/duboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2766&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes

QuoteHenry David Thoreau who, when quizzed by Ralph Waldo Emerson as to why he was in jail for one of his protests, said, "Why are you out there?" referring to Emerson's freedom outside of jail.
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2007/12/we-should-be-outraged/

Vitruvian

Quote from: dalebertWhich do you think looks better?

I like the blurry-edged one better.  What do plan to do with this design?

dalebert

Quote from: Coconut on October 17, 2008, 03:35 PM NHFT
Anyway, there's this thing called google.com where you can type in just about anything and it finds stuff:

Sorry, I meant to mention that I had tried that. Sometimes my searching ability sux, despite having worked for Cha Cha for a short while.

Thanx.

dalebert

Quote from: Vitruvian on October 17, 2008, 04:47 PM NHFT
I like the blurry-edged one better.  What do plan to do with this design?

It will be a t-shirt, mug, and probably a bumper sticker if I can get it all to fit and still be readable.

Sam A. Robrin

From this appropriate website: http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0503e.asp if you should want to read more.

"Thoreau may have also brooded over the reaction of Emerson, who criticized the imprisonment as pointless. According to some accounts, Emerson visited Thoreau in jail and asked, 'Henry, what are you doing in there?' Thoreau replied, 'Waldo, the question is what are you doing out there?' Emerson was 'out there' because he believed it was shortsighted to protest an isolated evil; society required an entire rebirth of spirituality."

The authors of Inherit the Wind wrote a play about the incident called "The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail."

Jim Johnson

I'm liking "thoreau_quote1_200.png", it looks more like the original photograph.

Coconut

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on October 17, 2008, 09:31 PM NHFT
I'm liking "thoreau_quote1_200.png", it looks more like the original photograph.

I don't know why you need his picture at all. The quote and the name is good enough I'd say.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Coconut on October 18, 2008, 12:12 AM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on October 17, 2008, 09:31 PM NHFT

I don't know why you need his picture at all. The quote and the name is good enough I'd say.

Many people do not know Thoreau. The statement it's self sounds a little establishment, Why are you outside of normal?
The picture gives the statement a context beyond the anti-"Man, you are really out there".

AntonLee

civil disobedience is at Barnes and Nobles in their "classics section"  where you can get it for $10

Sam A. Robrin

An alternative caption could be "Where's Waldo?"

dalebert

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on October 18, 2008, 07:59 AM NHFT
An alternative caption could be "Where's Waldo?"

That would need to go with Emerson though, no?

dalebert

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on October 18, 2008, 06:35 AM NHFT
Many people do not know Thoreau. The statement it's self sounds a little establishment, Why are you outside of normal?
The picture gives the statement a context beyond the anti-"Man, you are really out there".

I think the picture might jog some memories from college history classes and such. I suppose I could draw him behind bars, but that might just look cheesy.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: dalebert on October 18, 2008, 08:43 AM NHFT
I think the picture might jog some memories from college history classes and such. I suppose I could draw him behind bars, but that might just look cheesy.

How about an upended American flag with the red stripes as bars?