• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cameras banned from Keene Court again?

Started by Coconut, October 23, 2008, 08:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 24, 2008, 01:27 PM NHFT
Each member of the public should be able to bring their own recording device.  The idea that possessing a recording device is "disruptive" is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind:

The pool coverage provision demands that only one recording device be allowed in the court and that all interested media parties must share the one recording. This of course means that whichever organization or individual is chosen to be the one with permission to record will scoop all of the rest of the parties on the report. They will have their news package out the door and to their viewers and listeners while the others are still waiting to receive a copy of the audio or video. Additionally, it means that the recording organization has to spend extra time and effort making their recording available for the others. This work on their part is of course, uncompensated. Finally, it is also a creative restriction on the videographers who are choosing to cover the trial. Each videographer is forced to abide by the creative decisions of the "chosen one", like it or not.

i've dealt with the pool a hundred times when i was in tv; it's not at all unworkable and in my experience no one ever scooped anyone.  The guy running the camera actually is the one with the short end of the stick, but all the other media outlets get free labor for the day in exchange for their free labor. 

It's not pure freedom but not a good strategic point to fight a battle over for more reasons than I'm beginning to list.  however if you choose to fight it, you'll likely get coverage from me...

FTL_Ian

I see where you're coming from, Dave.  What about the point of how the pool will be enforced OUTSIDE the court?  Did you pick up on that threat?

Meaning, they could arrest people for recording the security screenings or the clerk's window.

John

FTL_Ian

Coconut

AntonLee

or sometimes the things governments do are just so profoundly idiotic that someone really just doesn't have anything to say.

John

Quote from: Coconut on October 24, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on October 24, 2008, 04:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: John on October 24, 2008, 04:06 PM NHFT.
?
Sometimes I think he puts that just to say "I've read this thread."

Thank you. Yes. But/And:
Actually the . is only so the thread will show up as particularly important to me.
I do that . when I want to make sure I'm reminded to try to follow/get back to that thread.

margomaps

Quote from: John on October 24, 2008, 11:20 PM NHFTThank you. Yes. But/And:
Actually the . is only so the thread will show up as particularly important to me.
I do that . when I want to make sure I'm reminded to try to follow/get back to that thread.

I haven't used this feature, but isn't that basically what the "Notify" button is for?

Kat Kanning

Notify sends an email when a new post is added to the thread.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: AntonLee on October 24, 2008, 06:00 AM NHFT
QuoteBurke is not a good guy, I've seen him operate... he is a professional bully.

oh but I thought he was doing the right thing lately.
hahahahaha

Russell Kanning

it makes sense that everyone in the court could record the events ... it makes sense for you to walk out Ian if that is important to you