• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Gold Money grassroots effort

Started by Caleb, August 16, 2005, 09:17 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

Well, Russell said that I should mention my idea on this forum, and see if anyone else would like to help out.

I'm currently forming a non-profit corporation for the purpose of increasing the circulation of gold and silver.  I want to structure the corporation with two main goals:  a)  politically to help pass the gold money bill  b) at the grassroots level to increase the circulation of gold and silver currency.  Right now, this is my main focus.

In order to encourage vendors to accept gold and silver ounces, my corporation will offer to buy ounces of silver and gold from vendors; the main reason vendors won't accept gold and silver ounces is because presently the merchants cannot redeem them.  By removing that obstacle, I hope to encourage businesses to accept gold and silver ounces. 

My main method is going to be going from business to business and just telling them, "Hey, if you'll accept gold and silver ounces, I'll buy them back from you at $7 per ounce silver and $450 per ounce gold.  Just call me, and I'll come redeem them from you."  This takes the risk entirely away from the merchant, and turns the gold and silver, for him, into a liquid asset.  I tend to think that if I can get just 10% of merchants in the Keene area to accept gold and silver ounces, then I won't have to worry about redeeming the ounces anymore:  instead of redeeming them with me, they will just spend them with another merchant. 

I was talking to Russ, and he said that I should put the idea on the board here and see if anyone else would like to help.  My target date for starting is September 20th (I know it's a little far off, but I've got about three weeks of training to do in Massachusetts, so I'll only have the weekends to work on it).  Basically, I would just be looking for people who would be willing to go and do some footwork.  If you live far from Keene, I'd probably ask that you redeem the coins from the merchants as well.  (I'd buy them back from you, of course).   If you live in the Keene area, I'd probably want to redeem them myself (just so I can get to know the Keene area businessmen ... I do have future political aspirations.  ;) )

At any rate, if anyone would like to help out a little, I'd be grateful.  I plan on getting some marketing materials ready, as well as creating a website and creating a directory of merchants that accept gold and silver coin.  My own plan is that if I need a service, I'll patronize the people who will accept silver before I'll patronize a merchant that won't ... maybe we can use that angle effectively.  :)  Hey, all businesses like free marketing, right?  ;)

I'd also like to get some stickers they can put on their door.  Kind of like the Mastercard/Visa stickers.  Just something simple that says, "YES!  We accept Gold and Silver!"

Thanks in advance,

Caleb

Michael Fisher

It would be nice to have a local grassroots movement with a sign on your town's main street that is updated daily with the silver and gold price, just like gas prices at a gas station.  Just an idea for visibility purposes.  ;)

I agree entirely that the best method at this point is spreading the practice of transactions in real gold and silver bullion, at daily value, as much as possible while avoiding Liberty Dollars altogether.

FTL_Ian

The Liberty Dollar could use some competition.  Best of luck!

About the Liberty Dollar:
http://dollar.freetalklive.com

Russell Kanning

This should be fun.

I already accept gold and silver to do yard care and snow removal. 8)

mikefam

Quote from: calibaba77 on August 16, 2005, 09:17 PM NHFT
In order to encourage vendors to accept gold and silver ounces, my corporation will offer to buy ounces of silver and gold from vendors; the main reason vendors won't accept gold and silver ounces is because presently the merchants cannot redeem them.? By removing that obstacle, I hope to encourage businesses to accept gold and silver ounces.?

My main method is going to be going from business to business and just telling them, "Hey, if you'll accept gold and silver ounces, I'll buy them back from you at $7 per ounce silver and $450 per ounce gold.? Just call me, and I'll come redeem them from you."?
Do you have some sort of contract drawn up pertaining to the pledge of redemption?

Dave Ridley

where's a good place in NH to buy and sell junk silver at the best price?

Caleb

QuoteDo you have some sort of contract drawn up pertaining to the pledge of redemption?

Good question!  Actually, at this time I don't.  I wouldn't be opposed to it, though.  My main concern is that if you put a piece of paperwork before him and demand that the merchant sign it in order to participate, he probably will refuse.  I'm wanting to make it easy for him to redeem the gold and silver.  And he doesn't need the contract because I will purchase gold and silver from anyone at the stated prices, regardless of whether that person is a businessman or a man off the street.  I would probably only use a contract if the merchant requested it.  Otherwise, I will just take him at his word.  The contract doesn't benefit me, because I have no plans to start legal action against any merchants for not participating (talk about a bad taste in your mouth.  :)  That's the last thing I need, a reputation for taking businesses to court.  :) )  But if the merchant wants it for his own piece of mind, then I'd have no problems working out a contract.

Caleb

Pat McCotter

How does the merchant know the gold or silver received is real?

mikefam

Quote from: calibaba77 on August 18, 2005, 05:31 PM NHFT
QuoteDo you have some sort of contract drawn up pertaining to the pledge of redemption?

Good question!? Actually, at this time I don't.? I wouldn't be opposed to it, though.? My main concern is that if you put a piece of paperwork before him and demand that the merchant sign it in order to participate,
it should be a 1 way contract binding you to redeem the silver at set prices for a set period of time. The merchant will thenn be secure in accepting silver for goods. The contract should also protect you fromhaving to buy less than .999 silver in set amounts, you dont want the merchant trying to redeem silver necklaces and bracelets? do you??

Russell Kanning

I personally am not into endless contracts .... I like the idea of verbal agreements .... with people you trust.
Calib will be establishing relationships.....we will be shopping at these merchants...it's all good :)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: patmccotter on August 18, 2005, 07:28 PM NHFT

Specific Gravity!

I'm sure most of this trade will be conducted with pre-1964 silver coins which are recognizible and not likely to be counterfitted.
Most gold would be in coins like  Krugerands and English Guineas, again, recognizible, but, more profitable to counterfit.
Before Nixon re-legalized Gold in the US in the early 70's I smuggled it in from Canada for friends.  Years later, when the Hunt Brothers tried to capture the silver market and Gold rose along with the silver, I needed some money and sold the Gold I bought at as much as 600% profit. I remember the guy I sold it to checked it using specific gravity, which, I believe measures how much water it displaces.
I miss playing Monopoly with my little 1 oz. Gold ingot!

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on August 19, 2005, 07:33 AM NHFT
Quote from: patmccotter on August 18, 2005, 07:28 PM NHFT

Specific Gravity!

Yep, we knew about specific gravity, but...

[murmuring]I have my scales and my graduated cylinder on the counter next to the register. Is this really silver? hmm...[/murmuring]

Lloyd Danforth

It gets even worse when you have to carry that stuff in your pocket to make sure you got real silver or gold in your change ;)

Pat McCotter

Russell Kanning

I prefer good ol american greenbacks... I mean green yellow peach......