• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Poll: Would you eat out with someone who doesn't tip?

Started by FTL_Ian, November 02, 2008, 07:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedPhreak

Quote from: Jan on November 02, 2008, 01:52 PM NHFT

We got the hell out of there and asked Dad what her problem was.  He told us he'd added on a 15% tip.  The waitress told him that wasn't enough - and that usually they would have automatically added on a 18% tip for a group of our size (ten???), but they forgot.  So, she told him he needed to adjust the amount he'd written in to be AT LEAST 18%. 

Tacky.

when they do that - you dont HAVE to pay it (at least not in Colorado Springs) - tipping is ALWAYS an option & if that were my situation - I would have scratched any tip out & paid the bill owed.

William

Russell Kanning

We got the hell out of there and asked Dad what her problem was.  He told us he'd added on a 15% tip.  The waitress told him that wasn't enough - and that usually they would have automatically added on a 18% tip for a group of our size (ten???), but they forgot.  So, she told him he needed to adjust the amount he'd written in to be AT LEAST 18%. 
these restaurants are crazy

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 02, 2008, 05:14 PM NHFT
Makes me want to quit eating out and enriching business owners who are exploiting this 'custom'.
I already prefer places without waitstaff ... I am getting pushed that way more and more.

I used to joke when I lived in the desert, "why should I pay to be thirsty" since if I was at home, I could just get up and get a drink while at many restaurants I would have to beg for ice tea.

at least at a fast food place, counter order spot, or buffet ... you can get yourself a drink from the fountain or counter ... you don't have to flag down the busy waiter.

William

"15% is standard, and tipping below that is an insult to the server. It's basically saying, "Your service was piss poor!"  Even 15% is like saying, "You did so-so."

Says the self appointed expert.

"He told us he'd added on a 15% tip.  The waitress told him that wasn't enough - and that usually they would have automatically added on an 18% tip for a group of our size (ten???), but they forgot.  So, she told him he needed to adjust the amount he'd written in to be AT LEAST 18%."

Now that's an insult!

dalebert

I'm with you Russell. I do prefer self-service. I guess my vice is impatience more than laziness. Still, I think it makes more sense to just eat out less in service restaurants and eat out more in places without wait staff than to just not tip... ever... no matter what.

I really wish I could change my answer to separate checks. Has anyone figured out how?

Pat K

Quote from: dalebert on November 02, 2008, 10:38 PM NHFT
I'm with you Russell. I do prefer self-service. I guess my vice is impatience more than laziness. Still, I think it makes more sense to just eat out less in service restaurants and eat out more in places without wait staff than to just not tip... ever... no matter what.

I really wish I could change my answer to separate checks. Has anyone figured out how?

Don't worry Dale you answer won't go on
your "permanent record" I promise.  ;D

Russell Kanning

you can change your vote now Dale .... I don't leave tips but I have to do something for the guy who makes such good muffins

why don't we call Dale "The Muffin Man" yet?

Russell Kanning

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on November 02, 2008, 08:36 AM NHFT
Since I've eaten out with poor tippers (or no tippers) many times, I'd say yes.  Actually, Ian, quite a few people don't tip or tip very poorly.  I usually complain to them several times (if they are my friends).  This usually gets them to throw some kind of tip down.  If I have extra money, I try to help cover their tip.

My brother has worked in the service industry for around ten years and (this is group speak) said that people on Sunday, very young people, and some black people tend to tip notably less than most of his other costumers.  He says that people at restaurants where he has worked know about this, talk about it, but still try to give good service to these people. Actually, he said these same customers tend to be his least informed customers about the traditions and knowledge of eating out and sometimes request extra service so these poor tippers often get extra service.  That seems to be the way it is in the restaurant industry, at least in Memphis.  I even talked to restaurant managers in Memphis and they seemed to agree but said it didn't affect service and they didn't dare point it out to the poor tippers.

I'm not so sure of People on Sundays, but the young (teenagers that are not on dates don't tip well at all, but when they are on dates they tip well to impress their dates...  ahhh to be young again) and the other point is so true.  That's why I stick to the families and the fun adults and try to avoid the stereotypical bad tippers at all costs....

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 02, 2008, 09:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 02, 2008, 07:51 AM NHFT
Yes, without a doubt. 

Who knew libertarians would get their panties in such a knot over other people's voluntary interactions?

I agree!  Individuals who are more rational than average with a knowledge of the Free Market suddenly become crazy people because they have worked in, or, live with someone who is a recipient of tips.

Because you are getting lower prices with the knowledge that the difference should go to the server.  If you want to pay an extra 15 to 20% for your food and such, fine. If the system were set up that way, things would be different, but it's not. Remember this, every time you go and eat out, there is a good chance that if you are a known bad tipper, someone might spit on your food or worse.   8)

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 02, 2008, 09:46 PM NHFT
these restaurants are crazy

Well, don't forget that the server has to tip out the bus boys and the bartender.  The bartender has to tip out the bar back.  Plus all the time this large party spent at the server's table. If a large party takes up a large portion of a server's section for a significant amount of time, the server is losing money.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: William on November 02, 2008, 08:58 PM NHFT
Looks like over 70% yes so far.

Yes, but 62.5% of the yes votes are in the two categories that have to do with embarassment to be with a non-tipper.  Either they want a separate check so as to not be associated with the non-tipper or will tip extra so the server doesn't realize there is a non-tipper.  Those two options aren't exactly ringing endorsements of the non-tipper.  They essentially say, "I'm embarrassed you don't tip, but I'll still eat out with you."

SpeedPhreak

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 02, 2008, 09:51 PM NHFT
I already prefer places without waitstaff ... I am getting pushed that way more and more.

has anyone noticed a trend at smaller places (mostly mexican owned taco shops in my area) where there is a walk up counter (just like McDonalds) - where there is a tip jar on the counter or taped to the drive threw window?

i HATE that

dalebert

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on November 03, 2008, 10:23 AM NHFT
has anyone noticed a trend at smaller places (mostly mexican owned taco shops in my area) where there is a walk up counter (just like McDonalds) - where there is a tip jar on the counter or taped to the drive threw window?

i HATE that

Yeah, that's a trend in coffee shops and even Subway now and it's a trend I don't like. There is no service. There is an item you are preparing for me that I paid for and I'm standing in line and then waiting at the counter for you to put it there. I don't really mind the notion of people tipping if they want for that, but encouraging it or making it seem expected there with a jar, bothers me. Also, Starbuck's employees are paid really well actually with good benefits, and none of them are on the reduced minimum wage that servers get due to the custom of tips.