• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Poll: Would you eat out with someone who doesn't tip?

Started by FTL_Ian, November 02, 2008, 07:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 03, 2008, 06:20 AM NHFT
you can change your vote now Dale ....

I still don't see how. The poll does not appear interactive to me anymore. Cut me some slack. I only have a Master's degree in Computer Science. Not a Phd.  ;D

Jan

Quote from: miamiballoonguy on November 03, 2008, 09:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 02, 2008, 09:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jan on November 02, 2008, 01:52 PM NHFT
We got the hell out of there and asked Dad what her problem was.  He told us he'd added on a 15% tip.  The waitress told him that wasn't enough - and that usually they would have automatically added on a 18% tip for a group of our size (ten???), but they forgot.  So, she told him he needed to adjust the amount he'd written in to be AT LEAST 18%. 
these restaurants are crazy

Well, don't forget that the server has to tip out the bus boys and the bartender.  The bartender has to tip out the bar back.  Plus all the time this large party spent at the server's table. If a large party takes up a large portion of a server's section for a significant amount of time, the server is losing money.

So......my father chose to leave her a 15% tip.  Probably because he felt her service was worth 15%.  If she's losing money, then she needs to find a new job. 

Scott Roth

I usually leave around 20%, but only if I got good service.

Puke

Yes.

I get separate checks regardless, so that really doesn't matter.
I would add my tip and be on my way. I could care less what the waiter thinks, really.

I would probably be called a bad tipper though. But since I never received the official "How to Tip and Not Make Whiners Cry" memo I really can't say either way. 

Puke

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: miamiballoonguy on November 03, 2008, 09:12 AM NHFT
if you are a known bad tipper, someone might spit on your food or worse.   8)

That's a ringing endorsement for people that work in that industry

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: Jan on November 03, 2008, 02:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: miamiballoonguy on November 03, 2008, 09:24 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 02, 2008, 09:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jan on November 02, 2008, 01:52 PM NHFT
We got the hell out of there and asked Dad what her problem was.  He told us he'd added on a 15% tip.  The waitress told him that wasn't enough - and that usually they would have automatically added on a 18% tip for a group of our size (ten???), but they forgot.  So, she told him he needed to adjust the amount he'd written in to be AT LEAST 18%. 
these restaurants are crazy

Well, don't forget that the server has to tip out the bus boys and the bartender.  The bartender has to tip out the bar back.  Plus all the time this large party spent at the server's table. If a large party takes up a large portion of a server's section for a significant amount of time, the server is losing money.

So......my father chose to leave her a 15% tip.  Probably because he felt her service was worth 15%.  If she's losing money, then she needs to find a new job. 

Well, you should have made a note of that in your post... 8-)

If her service was bad, then she deserved less than the 15%.  I'm only defending the ones that give good service against the ones that are just too cheap to tip.

miamiballoonguy

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 03, 2008, 07:21 PM NHFT

I'm sure that it is the exception to the rule...  but if you frequent a place and are known as a bad tipper, expect to get crappy service or worse...  Especially from the younger or lazy service workers.

Friday

Quote from: miamiballoonguy on November 03, 2008, 09:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 03, 2008, 07:21 PM NHFT

I'm sure that it is the exception to the rule...  but if you frequent a place and are known as a bad tipper, expect to get crappy service or worse...  Especially from the younger or lazy service workers.

JACK: He farted on meringue; he sneezed on braised endive; and with creme of mushroom soup, well...

TYLER DURDEN: Go ahead, tell them.

JACK: You get the idea.

Russell Kanning

Because you are getting lower prices with the knowledge that the difference should go to the server.  If you want to pay an extra 15 to 20% for your food and such, fine.
I have not noticed that restaurants with servers are any cheaper than my preferred stops ... in fact quite the opposite

Russell Kanning

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on November 03, 2008, 10:23 AM NHFT
has anyone noticed a trend at smaller places (mostly mexican owned taco shops in my area) where there is a walk up counter (just like McDonalds) - where there is a tip jar on the counter or taped to the drive threw window?

i HATE that
do you get worse food?
or worse service?
or higher prices?

I think that many places are giving what many of us in the market want.

We don't want to beg for:
drinks
the check
to order
silverware
napkins

We don't want to be rushed through their routine and out the door.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on November 03, 2008, 10:50 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 03, 2008, 06:20 AM NHFT
you can change your vote now Dale ....

I still don't see how. The poll does not appear interactive to me anymore. Cut me some slack. I only have a Master's degree in Computer Science. Not a Phd.  ;D
"remove vote"

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on November 03, 2008, 10:48 AM NHFTI don't really mind the notion of people tipping if they want for that, but encouraging it or making it seem expected there with a jar, bothers me.
I just don't tip if I don't get much service.
They will not kick you out if you don't tip.

I would see a tip jar at a drive through as a place for me to pick up change. Why on earth would someone tip at a drivethru? ... because they actually got the order right? they could understand the loudspeaker?

Pat K