• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Wheat runner" for hire

Started by Dave Ridley, November 08, 2008, 07:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Wheat berries are arguably the best food to have on hand in the event of a crisis...or at least they are the best such food that has an indefinite shelf life.   When sprouted, you could live healthy on them and them alone for three months.

But they are getting harder to obtain.  Turn me loose and I will obtain some for you.  Minimum order is 50 pounds.  I will be able to give you a total cost estimate and timeline once you order but the last order cost the customer $1.20 a pound.  That is more than it used to cost...and probably less than it will cost in the future.

My dream would be to see a sack of wheat berries in every home around the state...that would secure the state against famine for a year. My other dream is to get lots of people sprouting them in the normal course of life as I do...it's a huge money saver.

dalebert

If that's a competitive price, I'm almost certainly going to be up for some. I use them for all kinds of baking and I have 2 45lb air-tight storage buckets for it.

William

I'll take 100 pounds. Also, we would love for you to come to Henniker and give a presentation to our group on sprouting. Some specifics on how long a pound of berries would feed a person and other ways to prepare them.

jaqeboy

Quote from: DadaOrwell on November 08, 2008, 07:20 PM NHFT
Wheat berries ... are getting harder to obtain. ... Minimum order is 50 pounds.  I will be able to give you a total cost estimate and timeline once you order but the last order cost the customer $1.20 a pound.  That is more than it used to cost...and probably less than it will cost in the future. ...

UNFI September "Buying Club News" price:

Prod#: 225029, 50#, BULK D, WHTBERRIES,OG,HD/RD,WNTR, CNAGS, 01, 0.99/#, 49.45/BAG

Codes: OG= Organically Grown
HD/RD,WNTR= hard red winter
01 = 100% Organic
CNAGS = Chesterfield, NH warehouse and others

Coops who place orders consistently over $1000/order get 5% discount.
No delivery charges from the warehouse, must be present on pickup day (every 4 weeks in our Deerfield co-op, perhaps more frequent in others) to unload truck and sort orders, payment due to co-op treasurer on receipt of shipment. See other threads on details of how to join a UNFI buying club (self-sufficiency section).

The new Tractor Supply stores: Merrimack, Milford and Chichester have a good line of sealed containers in 30 qt ($14.99 - fits the 50# bag o' weet - I know, the catalog page says 30#, but the 50 of weet fits), 45 qt and 60 qt (another ref). They're made for animal feeds - I'm checking with the manufacturer to see if they are "food grade" for huming beans.

Recumbent ReCycler

I would like to get a pound or two to try, but right now I'm not really in a position to buy 50 lbs.

jaqeboy

I'll gladly subdivide my 50# into however much you want. Let's talk.

Recumbent ReCycler

I ended up buying a small quantity locally, and will try them to see if I like them before I decide if I want to buy more.

doobie

I'm up for 50 or 100 lbs at 1.20.