• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Meet 'Walk For Liberty' at the NH Border

Started by Kat Kanning, November 09, 2008, 07:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 03, 2008, 11:51 PM NHFT
getting close
If anyone wants to go out and meet him, even if you only walk with him for a mile it will give him someone to walk with. My feet are sore, but no blisters after walking about 8 miles with him, though my legs are some kind of sore. Anyone planning on walking an entire day you might want to do some walking to get prepared for Will's pace and endurance.

Walk For Liberty

Last night stopped 3 miles from Fonda, NY.

Russell, I emailed Kat the interview.  We'll try to have a press release ready today.

Or if anyone else is skilled at writing press releases, we'd gladly accept the help!  ;D

Walk For Liberty

Walk For Liberty

Does anyone know of a place we can plug in our RV, or perhaps even short-term rent after we reach NH, and while I finish walking to the seacoast?  Ideally a couple places, around Keene, and then perhaps around Manchester, to use as bases for when I'm walking near those areas.

Thanks.

Walk For Liberty

Today in Schenectady, NY.  Supposed to get down to 10 deg. tonight.  Although we looked around several places (and even offered a motel $25 just to plug in to electric!) we couldn't find a place to plug in.

Hopefully we'll be around by the morning.

There has to be a hookup somewhere - see all those thousands of acres of GE plants there? How about the good sam club? http://www.goodsamclub.com/ They have a list of 1700 approved RV hookups. None in Schenectady, but in the http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/SearchResults.aspx?city=schenectady&state=NY&country=USA&type= area surrounding Schenectady there is the Arrowhead Marina & RV Park, 2 Van Buren Ln, Glenville, NY 12302 518-382-8966. http://www.rvthereyet.cc/campgrounds.php/270942

Walk For Liberty

6 deg here this morning.  We haven't been able to get the RV started yet.  Trying to analyze options for how to proceed.

Kat Kanning

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 08, 2008, 08:23 AM NHFT
Is it a diesel?  Is the battery OK?
It's an old gas engine.  An '85 Chevy 454 engine.  It has a carburetor though so that's part of the difficulty in starting it.

The battery seemed to be fine at first (it was turning over ok) but since we've been trying to start it so much the battery is almost dead now.

Lloyd Danforth

FTL_Ian

For the future:  What about just keeping the engine running all night?

Nat F

Get a drop light on an extension cord and keep a 60W light bulb light in the engine compartment overnight.

-Nat

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 08, 2008, 09:06 AM NHFT
What about just keeping the engine running all night?
That works for a diesel, but takes too much gas for a gasoline engine. It sounds like it was cranking fine at first and just needed a shot of starter fluid before the battery ran down. The good news is the weather is getting warmer tomorrow. The drop light version of a dipstick heater works but a dipstick heater is more reliable and safer, but both require your finding a place to plug in over night. I can see that it will pay to check the weather forecast each night.

Walk For Liberty

Thanks for all the suggestions!  We got the battery charged back up but then flooded it.  Finally after waiting a while we were able to get it started and keep going (although I only got in 9 miles).  Stopped in Colonie, NY.

MikeforLiberty

Schenectady News and as a bonus a poll on the auto bailout on the same page; 65% say no.