• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Meet 'Walk For Liberty' at the NH Border

Started by Kat Kanning, November 09, 2008, 07:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 05:56 AM NHFT
Would anyone want to volunteer to film for me with my camera at the border?  My idea is to hold my camera up to the crowd, and then hand it off.  Feel free to go crazy and film as much as you want - you can just keep it rolling.

Thanks in advance!

Sure, I can do this.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 03:10 AM NHFT
Saturday - walk as far as we can toward Keene

Sunday - Not planning on walking any this day.
I think Ian mentioned there's a Monadnock Social Sunday?  Where and when is that?  I might go to that.
Go to the 2nd Thanksgiving dinner as well.

However, at some point we need to get our (possibly broken down) RV from VT, as well as return our rental car.  Not sure when that will take place.

Social Sundays, 4pm at Vendetta, details:
http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=5.0

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 02:55 AM NHFT
With our RV possibly dead (and additionally because the furnace doesn't seem to work any more), we might need a place to rent short-term, until we can find a mid-term place to rent. :)  Does anyone have any leads?

You should bring it over to Lauren's and my place here in Winchester.

There is room to keep it and if I can't fix it at least I'll know what's wrong with it.

There is also a place to plug it in here.

Walk For Liberty

I feel horrible about this, but unfortunately we're going to have to push the arrival back.  We set out this morning from Brattleboro on Rte 9 to go back to the last place where I had stopped, and came across a police barricade.  The highway was closed due to one or more downed trees from the ice storm.  So we started to take an alternate route, and passed several vehicles coming from the other direction, the driver of one of whom told us that the road was blocked off ahead as well due to downed trees.  After talking to a nice local in a convenience store, we tried a third way, and finally found a downed tree blocking the road ahead of us.  On our way there a big chunk of ice felt from a tree overhead and really freaked out Brooke.  When we started to drive back another tree fell right behind us.  That was realistically the last way to get back to where I had left off (we already had to loop back a lot to go that way).  And with the projection for when Rte 9 is supposed to be opened again, I wouldn't have enough time today to get the miles in I need to in order to get there by Saturday at 11am.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to still do some miles today and then do a lot of miles Saturday morning, and then get there sometime Saturday afternoon, or push the whole thing back another day to Sunday at 11am.

My thinking is probably more people would still be able to show up if it were Saturday afternoon - many sounded like they were going to hang around then anyway.  Plus it seems there are several activities on Sunday already (churches, social sunday, 2nd thanksgiving).

However, perhaps more press might be likely to show up if it were Sunday at 11am.  Another thing about Saturday is I wouldn't know for sure exactly what time to schedule it for since it might depend on how many miles I can get in today.  And that uncertainty might make it even less likely press would show up.

Anyway that's what I'm thinking about at the moment.  I probably should decide definitively soon, so I'll post back again, but just wanted to give you a heads-up.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

FTL_Ian

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 10:04 AM NHFT
I feel horrible about this, but unfortunately we're going to have to push the arrival back.  We set out this morning from Brattleboro on Rte 9 to go back to the last place where I had stopped, and came across a police barricade.  The highway was closed due to one or more downed trees from the ice storm.  So we started to take an alternate route, and passed several vehicles coming from the other direction, the driver of one of whom told us that the road was blocked off ahead as well due to downed trees.  After talking to a nice local in a convenience store, we tried a third way, and finally found a downed tree blocking the road ahead of us.  On our way there a big chunk of ice felt from a tree overhead and really freaked out Brooke.  When we started to drive back another tree fell right behind us.  That was realistically the last way to get back to where I had left off (we already had to loop back a lot to go that way).  And with the projection for when Rte 9 is supposed to be opened again, I wouldn't have enough time today to get the miles in I need to in order to get there by Saturday at 11am.

I'm trying to decide whether to try to still do some miles today and then do a lot of miles Saturday morning, and then get there sometime Saturday afternoon, or push the whole thing back another day to Sunday at 11am.

My thinking is probably more people would still be able to show up if it were Saturday afternoon - many sounded like they were going to hang around then anyway.  Plus it seems there are several activities on Sunday already (churches, social sunday, 2nd thanksgiving).

However, perhaps more press might be likely to show up if it were Sunday at 11am.  Another thing about Saturday is I wouldn't know for sure exactly what time to schedule it for since it might depend on how many miles I can get in today.  And that uncertainty might make it even less likely press would show up.

Anyway that's what I'm thinking about at the moment.  I probably should decide definitively soon, so I'll post back again, but just wanted to give you a heads-up.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've decided to change the arrive date/time to this Sunday, Dec 14 at 11am.  Please let as many people as you can know!  Thanks.

FTL_Ian

Ron Helwig

For Wil and Brooke:

1st, there is a room available here at Little Minnesota. It is a fairly large bedroom with a built in bookshelf and closet, next to a bathroom.

2nd, we are trying to work out the logistics of getting your car to you. Tomorrow (Saturday) Carl and one of his GFs are going over to Keene, and can bring it over there. They just need to know where to deliver it. Carl figures it can be dropped off at Jim-n-Lauren's or Mark Edge's or Dawn Lincoln's or something like that. If anyone can pick it up somewhere in that area, please let me know.

Is there any way to add a notice at the bottom of http://www.newhampshirefreepress.com/NHFreePress/?q=node/281 that the arrival is delayed one day?

In retrospect I'm thinking it was not such a good idea to not be more willing to reach out to help people as they are enroute to NH. Will is within spitting distance of the border now.

Rt 9 from Wilmington to Brattleboro is expected to remain closed all night, and I would plan on it not being open in the morning either. I would think that the friendly gestapo would let Brooke through to drop Will off where ever he left off today. If not, the road is closed for maybe 15 miles, but if you go north on Rt 100 from Wilmington you can go through Dover and get back to Rt 9 and go either direction. From Brattleboro take Rt 30 north. The roads are very icy, though. It took me about an hour and a half to drive from Wilmington to Brattleboro by going around.

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: www on December 12, 2008, 06:56 PM NHFT
Is there any way to add a notice at the bottom of http://www.newhampshirefreepress.com/NHFreePress/?q=node/281 that the arrival is delayed one day?

In retrospect I'm thinking it was not such a good idea to not be more willing to reach out to help people as they are enroute to NH. Will is within spitting distance of the border now.

Rt 9 from Wilmington to Brattleboro is expected to remain closed all night, and I would plan on it not being open in the morning either. I would think that the friendly gestapo would let Brooke through to drop Will off where ever he left off today. If not, the road is closed for maybe 15 miles, but if you go north on Rt 100 from Wilmington you can go through Dover and get back to Rt 9 and go either direction. From Brattleboro take Rt 30 north. The roads are very icy, though. It took me about an hour and a half to drive from Wilmington to Brattleboro by going around.
Yeah we are frustratingly close.  Well it was definitely the right decision to delay till Sunday Dec 14.  I hope I'll be able to get my walking in today so that we can still make that arrival deadline.

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: error on December 12, 2008, 06:01 AM NHFT
Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 05:56 AM NHFT
Would anyone want to volunteer to film for me with my camera at the border?  My idea is to hold my camera up to the crowd, and then hand it off.  Feel free to go crazy and film as much as you want - you can just keep it rolling.

Thanks in advance!

Sure, I can do this.
Thanks!  Would you still be able to do this Sunday (assuming the road opens and I can get my miles in)?

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 12, 2008, 09:38 AM NHFT
Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 03:10 AM NHFT
Saturday - walk as far as we can toward Keene

Sunday - Not planning on walking any this day.
I think Ian mentioned there's a Monadnock Social Sunday?  Where and when is that?  I might go to that.
Go to the 2nd Thanksgiving dinner as well.

However, at some point we need to get our (possibly broken down) RV from VT, as well as return our rental car.  Not sure when that will take place.

Social Sundays, 4pm at Vendetta, details:
http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=5.0

Thanks, and for announcing on FreeKeene.

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on December 12, 2008, 09:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: Walk For Liberty on December 12, 2008, 02:55 AM NHFT
With our RV possibly dead (and additionally because the furnace doesn't seem to work any more), we might need a place to rent short-term, until we can find a mid-term place to rent. :)  Does anyone have any leads?

You should bring it over to Lauren's and my place here in Winchester.

There is room to keep it and if I can't fix it at least I'll know what's wrong with it.

There is also a place to plug it in here.
Thanks, we'll do that!  Whenever we'll be able to get back to it. :)

Walk For Liberty

Quote from: Ron Helwig on December 12, 2008, 04:43 PM NHFT
For Wil and Brooke:

1st, there is a room available here at Little Minnesota. It is a fairly large bedroom with a built in bookshelf and closet, next to a bathroom.

2nd, we are trying to work out the logistics of getting your car to you. Tomorrow (Saturday) Carl and one of his GFs are going over to Keene, and can bring it over there. They just need to know where to deliver it. Carl figures it can be dropped off at Jim-n-Lauren's or Mark Edge's or Dawn Lincoln's or something like that. If anyone can pick it up somewhere in that area, please let me know.
Thanks, Ron, on both counts!  I'm sure somebody could give us a ride to it wherever it is over there.

I'm in Keene right now, but am on the way over to meet you with a cup of hot chocolate. It's cold today. If Rt 9 is open I should get there by 10 I would guess. Probably sooner.