• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

2nd annual Burning Porcupine Festival June 1-14?

Started by Lloyd Danforth, November 11, 2008, 07:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Apparently those bastards never gave any serious consideration of moving P'fest from Gunstock.  And it has gone from a week of camping to 4 days of vendors selling crap and speakers telling people what they know already.  I suggest we go with the same date, but, start early and go longer.  So What do you all think?

Re Porc Fest, the decision regarding the location and date is final (Gunstock, June 4-7), so debating other options here is really not the best use of anyone's time. That said, we're working to address some of the concerns you mention. For example: We booked the Main Lodge and Powder Keg Bar so there will always be places to gather and hang. In other words, the events will take place in a central area, not in the campsite (panel discussions, mock training sessions, Best Liberty T-Shirt etc). This means you will know where your fellow LLs are because they too will be in the Main Lodge or bar. This will also make it easier for new members and the "liberty curious" to find FSPers, and make it more welcoming for new folks. In the end, the  goal is to showcase the FSP, NH, and recruit new members, and when planning (and paying for) the event, that's what we need to keep in mind.

Kat Kanning

Me no likie the idea. It's too cold to camp then.

dalebert

I honestly suggested having it in two places. Have a portion of it (pre-weekend) at Gunstock for new people who want to do the bus tours. It would be hella cheap, or even free really, as they wouldn't need to reserve any facilities. People just rent their own campsites. Meanwhile, have the full-fledged party and events at another location that doesn't have to be centrally located. Most of the main stuph is on the weekend anyway and the new people could come up or get bussed up and join in when they're done touring, Friday afternoon at the latest depending on what areas they want to see.

J’raxis 270145

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to suggest creating a competing event... ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 11, 2008, 07:41 AM NHFT
Me no likie the idea. It's too cold to camp then.

I agree.  And early June is family unfriendly.  Plus, no Full Moon.  I would just like to give them some competition.
Even if you ignore the Nazis that run the place, basing Porcfest at Gunstock, in June, for the bus tours pretty much says, "We're looking for people without children,  and who can't find their own way around to Move to New Hampshire and help us get free"

Russell Kanning

I was enjoying the full moon yesterday and it got me thinking about next years Burning Porcupine.

Here are the dates:
http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/full/index.php
and more info
http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy_calendar_2009.html

August 6 - Full Moon

August 6 - Penumbral Lunar Eclipse. The eclipse will be visible throughout most of the Americas, Europe, Africa, and western Asia. (NASA Eclipse Information)

August 12, 13 - Perseids Meteor Shower. The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers to observe, producing up to 60 meteors per hour at their peak. This year's peak occurs on August 13 & 14, but you may be able to see some meteors any time from July 23 - August 22. The waxing gibbous moon will provide some interference in the evening, but after it sets, the morning hours should provide some spectacular viewing opportunities. The radiant point for this shower will be in the constellation Perseus. Look to the northeast after midnight.

August 14 - Jupiter at Opposition. The giant planet will be at its closest approach to Earth. This is the best time to view  and photograph Jupiter and its moons.

a lunar eclipse would happen in the evening in August

Russell Kanning

I was thinking early August.

We could have people camp in Grafton around the time of Porcfest if they want. :)

Lloyd Danforth

MengerFan

Not sure how much of a concern this is for anyone else, but can FTL be broadcast from Burning Porc?

I would be very happy to be included in the planning of Burning Porc, as well as in the construction of any amenities for the site. Y'all feel free to contact me here or otherwise.

FTL_Ian

Is there power and a regular phone line on-site?

Internet would be handy as well.

Kat Kanning

Menger:  Cool  :D

Ian:  We have regular phone, power, indoor plumbing, wifi.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 11, 2008, 11:30 AM NHFT
Menger:  Cool  :D

Ian:  We have regular phone, power, indoor plumbing, wifi.

Spiffy!  We're good to go, then.  If I'm up that way again, I'll bring by the remote kit and test the line. 

Kat Kanning

Wow, just found out the Fun Tent was banned from Gunstock!  :o  THAT wouldn't happen at Hoyt.

dalebert

Wait a minute... You saying we may have the Sakal/CAI Fun Tent at Burning Porc? AWESOME!

MengerFan

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 11, 2008, 01:06 PM NHFT
Wow, just found out the Fun Tent was banned from Gunstock!  :o  THAT wouldn't happen at Hoyt.

Hence the defection. Hope you're interested in accepting a ton of new Burning Porc attendees.