• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

When should we hold Burning Porcupine 2009?

Started by Russell Kanning, November 11, 2008, 06:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Here is a place for us to discuss when we should hold Burning Porcupine 2009.
Anyone that helped make Burning Porcupine 2008 happen and/or plans on participating this year should throw in their preferences.
I will set up a poll as we go along.
If you know people that don't frequent this forum, please add their input here also.
I think we should decide pretty soon, so people can plan.

Russell Kanning

I liked holding it during summer last year and right up to the full moon worked well.
Our solar showers also work better in the heat. :)

Fluff and Stuff

Anytime in July or August sounds good to me.  The full moon was fantastic when it wasn't cloudy as you could walk around in the dark without a light.

MengerFan

Russell Kanning

Pat K

Yeah I think the snow load might
be a bit much for the fun tent. ;D

Russell Kanning

41 mag and I were enjoying the almost full moon yesterday ... and I starting thinking about Burning Porcupine
I was wondering why we hadn't chosen the date yet.

Puke

I vote for July 7th.
I think August might be too hot.

/2 cents

MengerFan

Quote from: Puke on November 11, 2008, 07:57 PM NHFT
I vote for July 7th.
I think August might be too hot.

/2 cents

You only need to come out at night anyway.

dalebert

jerry

Sept 4 is the start of Labor Day weekend, which allows more porcs to fit it into their work/school schedules.
And the weather  was pretty nice this year at that time.
Russel, what's the sky forecast  for that weekend?

Russell Kanning

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy_calendar_2009.html

the most interesting stuph from this site is an evening lunar eclipse on 8/6 and a meteor shower on 8/12,13,14 after the moon sets

it could also rain every day like last time :(

I like the September idea also, since the weather is nice and there are already some red trees, but July and August have some virtues.

Is it better to be on a holiday or not?

jerry

I think the holiday weekend has some advantage for those folks still doing that 9 to 5 thing.

The 8/6 eclipse might be disappointing , but I agree that a full moon is nice.
"Most penumbral eclipses are pretty uninteresting, since the Moon is still quite brightly lit, except in the most advanced stages. Still, in a deep penumbral eclipse, sharp-eyed observers should see a subtle but distinct shading across the Moon at maximum eclipse. This will be quite obvious in a total penumbral eclipse. "  (This one won't be total)

C'mon now, there were SEVERAL days without precipitation last time.  ;D

Russell Kanning

Quote from: jerry on November 12, 2008, 02:21 AM NHFT
I think the holiday weekend has some advantage for those folks still doing that 9 to 5 thing.
it is true ... many people come from short distances and might just be there for a weekend

Puke

Quote from: dalebert on November 11, 2008, 08:56 PM NHFT
Go live in GA for a summer please, whiner.  ;)

Four years, in southern GA, 2 in central Texas, 2 in Middle East.

I've had my fun in the sun.  >:(