• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anthropology in NH

Started by Mayor Maximus, November 13, 2008, 02:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayor Maximus

Is anyone here an Anthropologist, Arch(a)eologist, or otherwise informed on the status of such professions in the granite state?

KBCraig

I don't know about the question as you worded it, but almost every NH town has one (or more) historians, and often a formal historical society. Some are appointed, many are just recognized by default. Reading the small town newspapers (some are available online, even if only a .pdf download) will give you a glimpse at how important history is in NH.

Anthropology and Archeology are about "people", especially those who lived long ago. Many of these NH town historians have records and observations from the early 18th Century, sometimes earlier. They might not have a written record of the indigenous Americans who lived here first, but that's understandable, given the nature of early interactions between natives and settlers.

Mayor Maximus

Quote from: KBCraig on November 13, 2008, 04:36 PM NHFT
I don't know about the question as you worded it, but almost every NH town has one (or more) historians, and often a formal historical society. Some are appointed, many are just recognized by default. Reading the small town newspapers (some are available online, even if only a .pdf download) will give you a glimpse at how important history is in NH.

Anthropology and Archeology are about "people", especially those who lived long ago. Many of these NH town historians have records and observations from the early 18th Century, sometimes earlier. They might not have a written record of the indigenous Americans who lived here first, but that's understandable, given the nature of early interactions between natives and settlers.

Thanks, that is pretty much what I wanted to know. 

I will add, however, that there is a distinction between an archeologist and a historian.  The historian mostly relies on written records while the archeologist uses physical evidence such as fossils or digging up pottery, tools, and whatnot.