• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Would you like some jingoism with your web hosting?

Started by Friday, November 15, 2008, 09:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Friday

Bob Parsons, CEO of GoDaddy.com, thank you for your web hosting services, but could you please stop sending me birthday cards for the U.S. Marine Corps? I mean, for fuck's sake...   :P  :P  :P

The few... the proud... the cannon fodder

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/holiday/usmc2008/playmovie.asp?isc=gdp1116

error

I didn't get one of those! I must have hit the STOP SENDING ME THIS STUPID SHIT link at some point.

Tom Sawyer

Caleb

I'm not entirely certain that the math is right ... 233 years from 2008 would mean that the United States Marine corp is celebrating its birthday since before there was a United States.  :-\

By my historical reading of the data, the Continental Marines were disbanded in 1783 (prior to the adoption of the US Constitution).  The US Marine Corp (an entirely separate and unrelated group) was not formed until 1798.

This "Marine Corp birthday message" appears to be more self-congratulatory nationalistic fervor, based less in fact than in religious devotion to the cause.

Tom Sawyer

Dang Caleb... you mean all that laying at attention in our racks singin' those songs and recitin' their legends... that was propaganda??? shocked I tells ya, shocked I is.

;D

Lloyd Danforth

I believe that the Marine Corps began when some US sailors went ashore in aborted attempt to attack a Pasha near Tripoli in North Africa around 1803 or 06.

Tom Sawyer

ok so the "Shores of Tripoli" part was real...
Well, at least that's something for me to hold on to.  :'(

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 16, 2008, 07:14 AM NHFT
I believe that the Marine Corps began when some US sailors went ashore in aborted attempt to attack a Pasha near Tripoli in North Africa around 1803 or 06.

Perhaps Mr. French I mean PatK should chime in here... figures it was a band of rowdy sailors that went ashore and started trouble.   :icon_pirat:;D

Puke

Pat K

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 16, 2008, 07:22 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 16, 2008, 07:14 AM NHFT

Perhaps Mr. French I mean PatK should chime in here... figures it was a band of rowdy sailors that went ashore and started trouble.   :icon_pirat:;D

Well I remember something about the continental congress 
authorizing some marines, way back in the day. I think it
was called the at sea bellhop's authorization  ;D or some thing like that.

Jim Johnson

Marines are some of the most valuable men aboard US navel ships.  Someone has to guard the aft Officers Head... the boiler men keep pissing on the seat.   ;D

William

Constitutionally, the budget for the army must be approved every two years. The Navy budget on the other hand is not subject to that requirement. The founders didn't want a standing army but expected a full time navy. To bypass the spirit of the constitution, the marines were created as a fighting naval force.

Friday

Apparently, Parsons didn't get the memo. STOP SENDING ME THIS SHITE!!

I swear to God, when that list of centuries of wars in random countries all over the planet scrolls by, I feel ashamed to be an American. (Well, not really, I'm not an "American", I'm just me, but... you know what I mean.)   >:-(

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/holiday/usmc2009/default.asp?isc=gdr1162b

Tom Sawyer

Damn I'm motivated!!! OOOH FUCKIN' RAHH!!!

Sorry, it's hard to overcome the conditioning.  ;D ;D ;D

I was hoping they'd have footage of us doing bong hits... that's the Marine Corps I remember... well, sort of... what were we talkin' about?

Friday

It's that time of year again!  Time for another rousing rendition of

From the halls of Montezuuuuuuuuuma
To the Shores of Tripoli
We'll be ripped to shreds by shrapnel
And get blown up in our Humvee....

http://www.godaddy.com/holiday/usmc/usmc-2010.aspx?isc=gda1145