• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Seeking Programming Position

Started by cxxguy, November 16, 2008, 12:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

cxxguy

I'm looking for a programming position in New Hampshire.

Resume is at http://rich-paul.net/

I'm aware of Base36 -- and they of me --- but I'm impatient.

Any tips?

Ryan McGuire

I have not yet found a programming position (that appeals to me) in NH myself. However, I moved to Nashua in September and easily found contract work in the boston area. It's only a 40 minute commute and it allowed me to move to NH earlier rather than later. So while I'm still looking for something more local, I'm glad I made the move and just "winged it".

Your resume looks good, if you have a bit of reserve funding, I would recommend you just move here sooner even without having a job.

I look forward to meeting you, Welcome!

cxxguy

Quote from: Ryan McGuire on November 17, 2008, 06:58 AM NHFT

Your resume looks good, if you have a bit of reserve funding, I would recommend you just move here sooner even without having a job.

I just got laid off by CitiBank, so I think I'll be there in January.

cxxguy

Quote from: cxxguy on December 13, 2008, 10:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: Ryan McGuire on November 17, 2008, 06:58 AM NHFT

I just got laid off by CitiBank, so I think I'll be there in January.

Yep, here I am.  Home in Manchester.

Still working on finding work, but I've got a project going writing some perl to do automated trading of silver and gold on BullionDirect, so that might just keep me eating while the depression runs it's course.

Oddly enough, I spoke to a recruiter who had high hopes, and found that a couple clients he referred to me were babbling on about college degrees.  I've been a professional programmer for many years, and never needed one before.  Interesting how depressions change things.  Might be because he deals with a lot of MassHoles, and they seem to thing that school actually teaches people how to *do* things.  Go figure.

Anyway, if you need a programmer, and you thought you couldn't afford one, you might just be surprised.

KBCraig

Quote from: cxxguy on February 17, 2009, 11:54 PM NHFT
Yep, here I am.  Home in Manchester.

Welcome home! (Insert obligatory "YOU SUCK!" here -- and save me a spot until I get there!)

QuoteOddly enough, I spoke to a recruiter who had high hopes, and found that a couple clients he referred to me were babbling on about college degrees.  I've been a professional programmer for many years, and never needed one before.  Interesting how depressions change things.

You can probably blame computer programmers for that.  ;)

Almost every major company uses computer screening of job applications. Some dweeb in HR decides that a job requires certain qualifications, and the screening eliminates those that don't "qualify", no matter how good their actual qualifications. If you don't check the right boxes, no human being will ever see your application.

If you do check the right boxes, you should offer a darn good explanation of why your experience is equal to or better than a piece of faux-parchment that adds letters behind your name.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI just got laid off by CitiBank, so I think I'll be there in January.

Liberty lovers make bad bureaucrats. Good luck on the job seeking!

Ryan McGuire

cxxguy

Thanks!

I'd just like to mention here, since I reported the layoff, that although I have not yet found programming work (though I'm being interviewed by Linden Labs), I think that getting laid off is probably the best thing to happen to me since I met the love of my life.

Retailing Gold and Silver:                                Enough to Get By
Bottling Beer:                                              Some Extra Cash
Little Room to Sleep:                                     Cheap

Daily Contact with people who understand me:   Priceless.

Ryan McGuire

Quote from: cxxguy on March 15, 2009, 11:10 PM NHFT
Daily Contact with people who understand me:   Priceless.

No kidding! Despite the government constricting around our necks more so than ever, having people like you around with their cheerful and friendly attitude makes me feel more comfortable than ever.