• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cold Gas is Cool (literally and figuratively)

Started by PowerPenguin, November 17, 2008, 06:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

According to the maintenance guide for my Subaru, you can get a bit more bang for your buck by filling up your tank in the evening or early morning when it's cold and the fossil fuels are the most dense. This would theoretically give you a bit extra juice in your tank for the same price. Not knowing anything else, I assume you won't be getting more than a percent or two extra, but maybe someone who's a chemistry expert can provide more details.

doobie

I once stopped at a gas station when I was empty, and it was COLD (-10 according to my thermometer).  The pump wouldn't work.  I went inside and they said when it gets cold you usually just have to wait..so I waited about a minute or two and it finally started pumping.  It was the slowest fuelling I ever had...

I think myth busters proved your statement wrong though.

freeborn

Gas coming out of an undergrand tank is always at the same temperature as the underground environment which is about 55 degrees. It doesn't matter if you pump your gas when the air temperature is 100 degrees or 20 below zero.

KBCraig

Quote from: doobie on November 17, 2008, 06:10 PM NHFT
I once stopped at a gas station when I was empty, and it was COLD (-10 according to my thermometer).  The pump wouldn't work.  I went inside and they said when it gets cold you usually just have to wait..so I waited about a minute or two and it finally started pumping.  It was the slowest fuelling I ever had...

I've had that during a sudden cold snap. The local news said the flow rate slows when the leak detectors trip, and apparently they're sensitive to cold.

PowerPenguin

Quote from: KBCraig on November 18, 2008, 10:56 AM NHFT
Quote from: doobie on November 17, 2008, 06:10 PM NHFT

I've had that during a sudden cold snap. The local news said the flow rate slows when the leak detectors trip, and apparently they're sensitive to cold.

Damn are you saying Fuji Motors, or at least the local dealership that published the flier is ignorant or lying!?? (Stranger things have happened)

Roycerson

I think so.  Don't know much about flow rates and leak detectors but most tanks are underground.  Might change a few degrees depending on the season but not a significant difference by time of day.