• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

So I went to get my concealed carry license earlier...

Started by AnarchoJesse, November 18, 2008, 04:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AnarchoJesse

And boy did I get a hard time.

It started with the secretaries-- they gave me an attitude for asking some questions (politely, I might add; I wasn't there to cause a scene), and they eventually directed me to the officers that were there to ask some questions.

Till then, my questions had been limited to "The RSA [which is on the back of the application] doesn't state that I need to give you my employment information-- is there any way you could void this section right now? [a legitimate question when dealing with paperwork]" The officer responded, and if I might editorialize, must have thought I was a dumbass; he said "if you don't give us your information on your employer, we can't do a background check on you". I replied pretty quickly with "Actually, you have my social security number-- which is all you need for a background check. And if you need to find my employer that badly, I'm sure the records are there." He followed this with "well, we will deny you if you don't give us your employer information".

I thought about this for a moment, and he looked at me with those beady little eyes of his, and I said something that felt so good-- "Then I'll see you in court, if that is the case." I think he was becoming aware that he couldn't just push me around, and said "just hand it in to the secretaries and they'll take care of it."

I went back the the secretaries, and handed them the form. The secretary said "You'll get a response in a few weeks--" and I cut her off and I said "You mean ten business days, right?" She got huffy and said "No, when you get it, you'll get it." She gave me a card and circled a number on it to call, and I took it and asked (politely again, because I would have liked her to comply) "Can you just initial and date this, for my own records? I don't get a receipt it seems, and I would very much like this just for myself"

Needless to say, this didn't go over well, and I got the whole "I don't need to do anything for you". So I just said "Ok, have a lovely day", and walked out.

I tell ya, I almost forgot how miserable it was to jump through hoops.

doobie

Wow, where are you?  I wouldn't give them my SSN or employer.  I don't even recall NH asking for that on their application.

Lloyd Danforth

I could work for three employers and I would still put 'self employed' on most applications.

Puke

The woman behind the glass at the Keene Taj ma Hall (sp?) seemed rather surly when I got mine.

I don't recall if there where employer questions.

Lloyd Danforth

I filled mine out months ago, but, keep forgetting to give it to the Chief of Police.  I'm gonna ask Merle if he will agree to give a half hour head start if there is a warrant out for me.

AntonLee

nice job Jesse, I think it pays to be kind without backing down.

Giggan

Which form did you get?

I didn't give my SSN in Concord, and I put 'student' for my employment 2 yrs ago when I got mine.

On this form:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

It says 'optional'. Did Keene PD delete the 'optional'?

If they take more than 10 business days, call Pro-Gun NH or Gun Owners of NH. Whenever there's a problem and either of those guys get involved, the police tend to suddenly become apologetic and hand-deliver the CCL the next day.

dalebert

I got hardly a second glance at the Manchester PD when I applied. I didn't show up right on time (10 days), but mine was ready when I went back for it.

FTL_Ian

MengerFan

Could be worse. In every other state (except maybe one other), you have to be fingerprinted for a CCW permit.

shyfrog

The people at the Peterborough Police Station were super nice. I got mine after 3 days wait. Someone called me when it was ready, I showed up later that day, paid, and walked out with my CCL.

William

Quote from: MengerFan on November 18, 2008, 10:35 PM NHFT
Could be worse. In every other state (except maybe one other), you have to be fingerprinted for a CCW permit.

Yup, 2 day class plus fingerprinting and FBI background check in AZ.

Free libertarian

A couple of questions...
How long is a permit good for? Is it 5 years?  (I had one almost 30 years ago damned if I can remember what it said)

Is a permit valid in all of NH only or can the bearer conceal carry anywhere?  IE : Is there reciprocity with any other states?

Is there a "standard State form" or do different municipalities get to make up their own rules?

What are reasons a person can be refused a permit?

Why would anyone have to give a Social Security number? I thought that you didn't have to give that out
in many cases?  New rules or just "because we say so" ?

doobie

The state police do their NCIS check without a SSN or employment information:  Self employed.  and a line through the SSN line (it says optional anyway). 

You can sue them if they deny you; and THEY pay your court costs if you win.

Giggan

Quote from: Free libertarian on November 19, 2008, 07:22 AM NHFT
A couple of questions...
How long is a permit good for? Is it 5 years?  (I had one almost 30 years ago damned if I can remember what it said)

Is a permit valid in all of NH only or can the bearer conceal carry anywhere?  IE : Is there reciprocity with any other states?

Is there a "standard State form" or do different municipalities get to make up their own rules?

What are reasons a person can be refused a permit?

Why would anyone have to give a Social Security number? I thought that you didn't have to give that out
in many cases?  New rules or just "because we say so" ? 

All answered here: http://pgnh.org/gunlawfaqs

SSN I believe is new to the form, I don't even remember it on mine from November 06. It should say 'optional' right on the form.