• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

So I went to get my concealed carry license earlier...

Started by AnarchoJesse, November 18, 2008, 04:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

neggy

I do not believe they can REQUIRE a SSN, the law used to be that SSN's were for SS use only, and they were used for all sorts of things anyway. Due to  identity theft most agencys.. DMV for example, have stopped using your SSN as an identifier.

The reason they would like your SSN is because when they run NCIC on you and someone with your DOB and name pops up with 20 wants on him, or a record that would be a disqualifier, they can make sure it is not you. If you have a common name, it happens all the time.

Principles over personalities. A concept from AA. I understand some people in here have a hatred of all things government. As someone who works for a government agency, I get crapped on all the time. I won't tolerate it, and I do take it personally and will make sure that every i is dotted, and every T is crossed in the execution of my tasks. If you come to me with something, and leave the attitude outside, I am going to bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need as soon as I can get it done.

You catch more Bees with honey than you do with vinegar.
You can dislike all things governmental and still deal with the BS in a civil way. Personally if I can piss someone off when they get in my face at work, I know I have won.

Nothing is going to do more to erode the right to open carry in NH, or the MUST ISSUE wording in the law faster than someone with an attitude problem carrying a weapon. Nobody needs to know you are carrying a gun, and nobody should. It takes away your advantage. Walk softly, carry a big gun, but hide it.

I would suggest that anyone who carries a gun, OC or CCW read Massad Ayoob's book "In the Gravest Extreme" and take it to heart.

You can disagree with someone, you can object to something, make your objections with facts and a smile, and when you prove them wrong in their actions you can smile even more.

Recumbent ReCycler

This is a link to the only state approved resident application. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf
If you are told you need to submit anything else, they are wrong.

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteI understand some people in here have a hatred of all things government.

QuoteI won't tolerate it, and I do take it personally and will make sure that every i is dotted, and every T is crossed in the execution of my tasks. If you come to me with something, and leave the attitude outside, I am going to bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need as soon as I can get it done.

At this time, I'll point out the causal relationship between the two.

The right to carry a firearm is indeed a RIGHT. The government putting conditions on it is an infringment upon a right. While I'm not sure WHAT government agency thing you work for you're part of the problem if you carry the mentality that you doing your JOB is somehow doing the people you deal with a favor.

The people in Wal-Mart aren't doing somebody a favor, they're doing them a SERVICE. Get pissy with me (the customer) and make my shopping difficult and I'll go elsewhere. When you (as a bureaucrat) get pissy with me KNOWING I can't simply go to a competing service because of that violence-backed monopoly you inspire RAGE and HATRED, not respect.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: neggy on November 19, 2008, 10:32 AM NHFT
I do not believe they can REQUIRE a SSN, the law used to be that SSN's were for SS use only, and they were used for all sorts of things anyway. Due to  identity theft most agencys.. DMV for example, have stopped using your SSN as an identifier.

DMV uses it to identify "deadbeat dads" in accordance with federal "carrot-and-stick" legislation.

Quote from: neggy on November 19, 2008, 10:32 AM NHFT
Principles over personalities.

Yes. The principle that gun ownership and carry is a right, defined by the right to life. I have a right to life so then I also have a right to defend that life, with whatever means necessary. The government cannot give me that right nor remove that right, even if the 2nbd amendment was not there.

These days though, the principle of defending my life is overridden by the personality of statists who have decided that I have no need to defend my life because they think I will automatically become a raving lunatic when I get a gun in my hand.

COG

Link to the "Application for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License" at the City of Keene website
http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/police/docs.htm

Notice the link to the "Application for Keene, NH Bicycle Registration"
What a joke !

Coconut

Quote from: COG on November 19, 2008, 08:16 PM NHFT
Notice the link to the "Application for Keene, NH Bicycle Registration"
What a joke !

Bike registration helps them confirm the finding of a stolen bike. Wish it wasn't "on the books" as mandatory, though Keene Police do not enforce it.

J’raxis 270145

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Pat McCotter on November 19, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT
Yes. The principle that gun ownership and carry is a right, defined by the right to life. I have a right to life so then I also have a right to defend that life, with whatever means necessary. The government cannot give me that right nor remove that right, even if the 2nbd amendment was not there.

These days though, the principle of defending my life is overridden by the personality of statists who have decided that I have no need to defend my life because they think I will automatically become a raving lunatic when I get a gun in my hand.

There's no such thing as a right to life. That would imply things like a "right" to food, water, health care, &c.. Did you mean the right of self-ownership?

Giggan

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on November 20, 2008, 05:24 PM NHFT
It's fourteen days according to RSA 159:6, not ten business days.

Here's where I heard that, Concord PD says on its site that "The permit must be picked up in person upon notification of issuance, which takes approximately 10 business days."

http://www.onconcord.com/Police/concordv2.asp?siteindx=P20,27

It also calls the license a 'permit' while there is no such thing under NH law, which I know has been brought to there attention but they never bothered to change.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Giggan on November 20, 2008, 08:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on November 20, 2008, 05:24 PM NHFT
It's fourteen days according to RSA 159:6, not ten business days.

Here's where I heard that, Concord PD says on its site that "The permit must be picked up in person upon notification of issuance, which takes approximately 10 business days."

http://www.onconcord.com/Police/concordv2.asp?siteindx=P20,27

Probably simply that specific police department's own implementation of the actual statute. Ten business days probably works better for their bean-counters, and is always less than or equal to the fourteen days the statute allows for.

Quote from: Giggan on November 20, 2008, 08:20 PM NHFT
It also calls the license a 'permit' while there is no such thing under NH law, which I know has been brought to there attention but they never bothered to change.

Idiots.

Caleb

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on November 20, 2008, 05:25 PM NHFT
There's no such thing as a right to life. That would imply things like a "right" to food, water, health care, &c..

Hmmm.  Imagine that.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Pat McCotter on November 19, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT

There's no such thing as a right to life. That would imply things like a "right" to food, water, health care, &c.. Did you mean the right of self-ownership?

I have a right to life; therefore I have a right to act to prolong that life.

That being said; others have the same right; therefore I do not have the right to interfere in their right to life; unless they interfere in mine.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Caleb on November 20, 2008, 08:40 PM NHFT
There's no such thing as a right to life. That would imply things like a "right" to food, water, health care, &c..

Hmmm.  Imagine that.

Vote for Obama, Caleb?

Caleb

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: William on November 19, 2008, 12:38 AM NHFT
Quote from: MengerFan on November 18, 2008, 10:35 PM NHFT
Could be worse. In every other state (except maybe one other), you have to be fingerprinted for a CCW permit.

Yup, 2 day class plus fingerprinting and FBI background check in AZ.

Same in TN except it has takes 2-3 months to get and the total cost is around $150.  Oh, and than you can hardly use it anywhere...

Anyway, I agree with Lloyd.  If something asks about employment, I tend to write self, which is true.