• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Burning waste cooking oil

Started by Russell Kanning, August 21, 2005, 09:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Yes, people with ponds try to avoid it.  How about an algae removal business?

Pat McCotter

A guy I knew in VA used it to feed his methane digester in addition to his toilet and garbage disposal. The slurry from the digester went into the pond to grow more algae.

Lloyd Danforth

All of the gifts that keep on giving!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on October 12, 2005, 02:52 PM NHFT
It can't be too difficult to grow algae in your basement:
Now I just need to buy a basement. At home depot .... is that in the construction supplies or lawn and garden?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on October 12, 2005, 02:59 PM NHFT
You can use mirrors and a large magnifying glass to bring in focused sunlight during the summer.
Now I just need to cut down all my neighbors trees to let in sunlight.

Lloyd Danforth

If you want to know some of the stuff you might have to survive against, I would suggest you read "Why Geography Matters",  Three Challenges Facing America,  Climate Change, The Rise Of China, and, Global Terrorism,  by Harm de Blij.

From our perspective, he, probably should have includded 'and our government's reaction, further loss of our rights'.

In reality, what he predicts dwarfs anything the gov could do to us.
He predicts that, in spite of Global Warming, we could be near the edge of what he call 'inter glacial' period, that they have occurred before and climate changes occur 'overnight' in geologic terms.

The Sahara went from a Savanna with swamps and Crockadiles to a desert in "60" years!
The graphs he uses to show these climate changes look like thorns with the tips snapped off, the warm period being at the top, making the changes look more like falling off a cliff, than rolling down a hill.

In the event of that there isn't much we can do, but, in the short run, store food and try to keep warm, move south and warn our children and theirs who might bear the brunt of this.

I'm only part way thru the China section.  Most of us know that since allowing free markets in certain sections of their countries, the Chineese are rapidly becoming the 600 pound gorilla in the world and will be a major competitor in the world market and the need for oil, which is going to change things here in the US.

I don't know what he will have to say about Global Terrorism, but, I believe it would have,  and will effect us in spite of U.S. foriegn policy and the direct effects, for most of us, will pale compared to what our own government will do to us in reaction.

Anyway, I would suggest the book to anyone who is concerned about the future. Most of the books mentioned in the forums are about the past.

Russell Kanning

Burning the used oil in our woodstove is working fine. I just dump it on the woodchips.

Lloyd Danforth

A friend of mine heated his shop on waste engine oil, using a woodstove,  by hooking up a tank, higher than the stove with a valve and copper tube going to the woodstove.  He would start a wood fire in the stove and adjust the valve to have oil drip onto the fire.  Many older Kerosene space heaters worked this way also.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: russellkanning on October 13, 2005, 11:21 AM NHFT
Burning the used oil in our woodstove is working fine. I just dump it on the woodchips.

Cool! Any noticeable speed-up in burning? Or are you using less chips because of hotter temp?

Ron Helwig

I'm very interested in this as well. I'm planning on having a wood burning stove and a deep fryer. It would be good to have something useful to do with the used oil.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: russellkanning on October 13, 2005, 08:33 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on October 12, 2005, 02:52 PM NHFT
It can't be too difficult to grow algae in your basement:
Now I just need to buy a basement. At home depot .... is that in the construction supplies or lawn and garden?

Same here.  Let me know if you find one.

Kat Kanning

The wood and chips seem to last a little longer with the oil burning in there too.

Kat Kanning

Heating the oil on top of the stove would make it less viscous.  We'd have to filter it to get it through a nozzle.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: katdillon on October 13, 2005, 05:25 PM NHFT
The wood and chips seem to last a little longer with the oil burning in there too.

Thats because they are acting as a wick.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: patmccotter on October 13, 2005, 03:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on October 13, 2005, 11:21 AM NHFT

Cool! Any noticeable speed-up in burning? Or are you using less chips because of hotter temp?
Basically burns up the oil first then the chips. It is not very cold so I have to go slow for now.