• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Burning waste cooking oil

Started by Russell Kanning, August 21, 2005, 09:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

Quote from: katdillon on October 31, 2005, 07:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on October 31, 2005, 05:53 PM NHFT
I think t/v is a great thing if you use it right.

As an endtable?? ;D

Well mine does end up as a secondary book shelf, sometimes.

KBCraig

Quote from: Scott Roth on November 02, 2005, 09:07 AM NHFT
OK, people.  Back to burning waste cooking oil... ;)

Oooh, so you want to talk about flaming TVs, huh?  ;D

Pat K

Pat K

Lloyd Danforth

Sometimes they will drain it back into the containers it comes to them in.  A handy sized thing with a handle.

president

I saw a show on PBS about global warming last night that had a segment about Keene. They said city vehicles run on biodiesel. It looks like it is B20.

http://www.theenvironmentsite.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=100
The Solutions segment on the City of Keene, NH tells how city staff instituted a landfill methane-recovery project that generates electricity to power a regional recycling facility - a triple saving that keeps methane out of the atmosphere, avoids the pollution that would have been generated and purchased from the grid, and makes recycling more economical. The city also switched to less polluting, less toxic biodiesel fuel to power city vehicles, from ambulances and fire trucks to snowplows.

http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/publicworks/recycle/monitoring.html
The gas extraction wells collect the gas and direct it to a gas collection piping system. The gas flows to an on-site "gas-to-energy" facility, where the gas is combusted to produce electricity. The electricity produced is used to power the three on-site buildings including the recycling center.

Using Sheep to Control Vegetation on a Closed Landfill

In September 2001 the City of Keene hired Bellweather Solutions to provide sheep to control vegetation on the landfill's 20 acres. The sheep will be moved to greener pastures during the winter and will return in the Spring for continued vegetation control.

AlanM

Keene importing sheep? Don't they have enough sheep under their control?  ;D

Dreepa

Quote from: AlanM on November 03, 2005, 10:20 AM NHFT
Keene importing sheep? Don't they have enough sheep under their control?? ;D
Sexual appetites are growing so they needed more sheep.

Pat K

Hey I did not see any Black sheep in that pic, what  is the Keene goverment racist?

Russell Kanning

It has been working to just pour the used oil into a pan inside our wood burning stove. Once the temperature is high enough then it will start burning away. :)

Kat Kanning

We got two 5 gallon buckets from home depot.  That was apparently all the one chinese place could fill in a week.  We've only used up like 4 gallons this week, but it's been me minding the fire and I haven't been pouring it in as much as Russell probably does.  Just pouring it in a pan, it burns up in like an hour.

Mark

I'm no expert on wood stoves or grease, but I think I'd be worried about a chimney fire. Wouldn't the grease build up on the inside of the chimney after a while?

Either way, sounds like a pain in the ass.

Lloyd Danforth

Probably not, as it is being burned, not splattered or deposited in a condensing vapor.  Might be creating some interesting soot, though.

Russell Kanning

The soot is different, but since we are also burning wood it is mixed in.

Kat Kanning

I was up on the roof the other day and thought the soot buildup looked real greasy.