• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Burning waste cooking oil

Started by Russell Kanning, August 21, 2005, 09:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I am thinking I might burn used oil in the fire during the cold and in the car during warm weather. We are using 10 gallons a week.

Pat McCotter

Mike! You can lose more sleep now! >:D

Click here

(Thank you, Kat)

KBCraig

I think it would take quite a few model aircraft engines to run his car.  ;)

And while they're diesel engines (spontaneous combustion instead of spark), they don't run on diesel fuel. They're a bit picky.  :)

Pat McCotter

Wasn't looking at the car running. :)

What fuel would they be using? What's the comp ratio?

I know. I know. I can research myself but shortcuts help, ya know.

Pat McCotter

OK, found the fuel - kerosene+ - not diesel
Model diesel fuel

Kerosene - 42%
Ether - 30%
Castor Oil - 24%
Amyl Nitrate - 3%

You can sleep now, Mike.

Russell Kanning

If Mike is awake at night ... I hope we have him on a treadmill hooked to a generator. ;)

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on November 19, 2005, 07:51 PM NHFT
If Mike is awake at night ... I hope we have him on a treadmill hooked to a generator. ;)

LMAO... my brother-in-law is here, and just commented that we need to hook our gerbil's wheel to a generator.  ;D

Kat Kanning

I think that if you're going to have TV for the kids, it should be powered by bicycle generator :)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: patmccotter on November 19, 2005, 04:51 PM NHFT
Model diesel fuel

Kerosene - 42%
Ether - 30%
Castor Oil - 24%
Amyl Nitrate - 3%

You can sleep now, Mike.

:(

Nice try though! :)

Pat K

Quote from: KBCraig on November 19, 2005, 07:56 PM NHFT

LMAO... my brother-in-law is here, and just commented that we need to hook our gerbil's wheel to a generator.? ;D

If you put the gerbils on steriods, you could power the whole house.

KBCraig

Quote from: Pat K on November 20, 2005, 07:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on November 19, 2005, 07:56 PM NHFT

LMAO... my brother-in-law is here, and just commented that we need to hook our gerbil's wheel to a generator.  ;D

If you put the gerbils on steriods, you could power the whole house.

If we put the ferret on a wheel, and our dogs on wheels so they could chase him, we'd light up the neighborhood!

Michael Fisher

Current needs for our SAO (straight algae oil) experiments:

-Freshwater algae.
-Microscope to view cellular structure and the effect of mechanical extraction methods.
-Grinder, crusher, or strainer to extract oil from the cell.
-Small diesel engine.  Possibly a model car, boat, or airplane engine.  Preferably for under 10s.
-Separate algae fertilizer nutrients for use in nitrogen-starvation phase.

-Knowledge on existing vegetable oil extraction methods!  This is the easy one.  ;)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: patmccotter on November 19, 2005, 04:51 PM NHFT
Model diesel fuel

Kerosene - 42%
Ether - 30%
Castor Oil - 24%
Amyl Nitrate - 3%

You can sleep now, Mike.

Pat,

It was good to talk to you at the tuath meeting about our SAO experiments. :)

This link you posted refers to only one specific type of model airplane engine, the "Diesel Combat".

Luckily for us, there are MANY types of model diesel engines!? ?8)

Ebay search:? diesel engine model

president

I have a MDS 15 diesel model airplane engine that was imported from Russia. I got it a couple years ago to try to use for portable biodiesel demos....like others have said, the fuel they use isn't really diesel. Fuel blends in these engines are pretty picky.  Don't waste you time, or how much would you pay it for?

I ended up getting a 5.5Kw diesel generator/welder for my experiments. Most diesels run around $1000 or more, but you can get a gas one for a little more then $300. I needed a generator anyway.....

Lloyd Danforth

Have you thought about running it on filtered, heated fryer oil to get around making bio-diesel, or, conserving the bio-diesel for your furnace or car?