• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Burning waste cooking oil

Started by Russell Kanning, August 21, 2005, 09:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 03:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: patmccotter on August 29, 2005, 03:22 PM NHFT
I called Rymes today. B100 55 gallon drum price is about $3.70/gallon and the price is volatile - I was told that it varies day to day. You would also need to arrange ahead of time for a barrel - they don't have them just waiting there.

Ther price for bulk delivery is by quote only. Depends on distance to deliver and quantity.

Ack!

That's why you mostly see lower blends in the marketplace -- it keeps the price premium down. The low blends get a lot more bio on the road, though, and do offer good enviro and health benefits.

Pat McCotter

Last year when I was using veg oil on a 60 mile one-way commute I was getting about 150 miles for each gallon of diesel I used. That diesel was just used to warm up the veg oil then the rest of the distance was on veg oil. At that distance B100 would have been OK to use as the warm-up fuel.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: russellkanning on August 29, 2005, 06:51 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on August 29, 2005, 01:45 AM NHFT
This is insane.? Now I'm becoming obsessed with diesel engines!? I blame you, Russell!? ;)? Don't make me sell my car!

I don't have a diesel right now either ..... I want to find cheap heating oil for now.

Pat .... what are you going to do with the oil you collect?

Missed this question. I will be using it in my car. If I get more than I need - which is a near certainty unless I just waste it to drive around showing it - I can sell it to those who would like to use oil but don't want the mess of collecting and filtering it.

Cheers!
Pat

Otosan

Found this article today, maybe others have read this and knows the update of it....
http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=829

Anything into Oil
Technological savvy could turn 600 million tons of turkey guts and other
waste into 4 billion barrels of light Texas crude each year
By Brad Lemley
Photography by Tony Law

Gory refuse, from a Butterball Turkey plant in Carthage, Missouri, will no
longer go to waste. Each day 200 tons of turkey offal will be carted to the
first industrial-scale thermal depolymerization plant, recently completed in
an adjacent lot, and be transformed into various useful products, including
600 barrels of light oil.

rest can be read at the above url.

Pat McCotter

Otosan

Found my own up date..... ;D

http://www.answers.com/topic/thermal-depolymerization

The plant in Carthage, Missouri is kinda up and running....

Final cost is $80/barrel ($1.90/gal), making it uneconomic compared to the net wholesale price of conventional diesel of about $72/barrel ($1.73/gal) (as of April 2005 -

P.S.  if you want to track todays fuel cost... http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_distillate.html

president

Quote from: patmccotter on August 29, 2005, 03:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: president on August 29, 2005, 03:27 PM NHFT

They told me between $3.30-$3.70 for bulk delivery.....and that was for off-road use.

Did they give reasons for saying off-road? Are they required by law to add a fuel tax?

They didn't say, but I assumed it was because of the fuel tax.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Otosan on August 31, 2005, 04:59 PM NHFT
Found this article today, maybe others have read this and knows the update of it....
http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=829

QuoteUnlike other solid-to-liquid-fuel processes such as cornstarch into
ethanol, this one will accept almost any carbon-based feedstock. If a
175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38
pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123
pounds of sterilized water. While no one plans to put people into a thermal
depolymerization machine

OMG, I knew this day would come!? ?:o :o? ?;)

Russell Kanning

cows and turkeys are easier .... they eat grass and don't need entertainment 8)

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

I had the plans for this and an air tight woodstove that MEN offered.  We built the woodstove, put it in the basement and heated a two bedroom house with it. I don't know what became of the plans, but, I know enough now to build with out them.

Pat McCotter

Russell Kanning

This was their improvement over the MEN one .... they have all of those old plans on their site also. 8)

It seems so simple. It seems like you would not have to filter the oil that much since it doesn't have to make it through an injector and the oil would stay warm since it is already inside the house.

We have a big wood burning stove already .... I wonder if I could add this sort of operation to it by running a tube in for the wvoil and have it drip on a plate that we would heat up with paper and wood first.
Our wood stove is already better because it gets it's air from outside. :)

Lloyd Danforth

Some old style Kerosene heaters worked by just dripping kero on some built up ash on the bottom of the burner.  I think they were called pot-burners.
A friend of mine heated his screw machine shop using an old woodstove with waste motor oil dripping into it.
I would do this in a shop or barn, but, not a home.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 03, 2005, 10:25 PM NHFTA friend of mine heated his screw machine shop using an old woodstove with waste motor oil dripping into it.
I would do this in a shop or barn, but, not a home.

but why not?