• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Burning waste cooking oil

Started by Russell Kanning, August 21, 2005, 09:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 27, 2005, 08:11 AM NHFT
Let me know when.

Hi Kat and Lloyd,
I hadn't forgotten about this. I was hoping to get my car converted to using veg oil before I did this. It looks like I am going to have to put it off for a couple more weeks.

Let's go ahead and schedule the biodiesel demonstration.

When is a good date for you. Lloyd, let us know a good date for you.

I will be demonstrating how to make biodiesel from new vegetable oil from the grocery store. The process ionvolves methanol and lye so safety precautions will be followed. It is not an extreme reaction but it is exothermic (generates its own heat).

I will then demonstrate how to use waste veg oil (WVO). This will involve titration with phenol red (a common chemical used to test swimming pools) to determine the pH of the oil. This is needed to determine the amount of lye needed to react with all of the free fatty acids so that there is enough sodium methoxide to react with the triglycerides in the oil.

Wikipedia on Biodiesel

The demonstration method I will use is the "World Famous DR Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)" found at http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=447609751&f=719605551&m=857600061

Kat Kanning

There's no hurry.  Whenever you're ready.  Kira's leaving town for November.

Lloyd Danforth

No hurry here either.  I'm already making 3 trips to NH in November, not counting one I hope will be a move.  Wait till I'm living there.

Pat McCotter

Pat McCotter

Pat McCotter

Quote from: patmccotter on October 27, 2005, 07:24 PM NHFT
The demonstration method I will use is the "World Famous DR Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)" found at http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=447609751&f=719605551&m=857600061

Here's a better link for the Dr. Pepper method and biodiesel tutorial.

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/index.php

KBCraig

We enjoy the Discovery Channel program, "Dirty Jobs". We caught an episode this weekend where the host cleaned the kitchen of  Mexican restaurant in exchange for waste cooking oil, which then got converted to BioDiesel (with a tour of the shop and an explanation of the process).

The biodiesel guy said WVO converted to BioDiesel costs about $0.55/gallon, and his Datsun pickup gets 40MPG just fine, thanks.

Looks very cool

Lloyd Danforth

Pat McCotter

Pat K

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on October 31, 2005, 07:08 AM NHFT
Ewww! You watch 'Evil' TV!

I think t/v is a great thing if you use it right.

KBCraig

Quote from: patmccotter on October 31, 2005, 04:08 PM NHFT
Kevin's got some catching up to do:
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=1611.msg33727#msg33727 ;D

No, I saw that earlier. I just meant to point out that I'd finally seen the program.

The guy has quite a setup. Better hope he doesn't piss anybody off, or they'll be raiding his "backyard WMD laboratory".

Kevin

Pat McCotter

Oh, OK.

I've seen some of these biodiesel "refineries." It's pretty cool to be "refining" your own fuel. It's why I've often thought that third world countries - non-OPEC related - could use this as a way to become oil exporters. Jatropha is an easy to grow tree and a high oil yielding tree.

Of course, Changing World Technologies will surpass this with their Thermo-Depolymerization process. Right now it costs $70.00 a barrel to make oil using this process.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Pat K on October 31, 2005, 05:53 PM NHFT

As an endtable?  ;D

Pat McCotter

Quote from: katdillon on October 31, 2005, 07:26 PM NHFT

As an endtable?? ;D

What does using transvestites as end tables have to do with "Burning waste cooking oil?"?

Kat Kanning

Quote from: patmccotter on October 31, 2005, 09:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on October 31, 2005, 07:26 PM NHFT

As an endtable?  ;D

What does using transvestites as end tables have to do with "Burning waste cooking oil?"?

You'd have to watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show to find out the answer to that.