• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Coffee shop/bookstore

Started by AlanM, August 21, 2005, 10:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I like the idea of one in Manch , make it a sort of grand central station for Free Staters.

In the absence of that however, why not just pick an existing restaurant and designate it as our GSS?

KBCraig

Quote from: DadaOrwell on November 15, 2005, 05:13 PM NHFT
I like the idea of one in Manch , make it a sort of grand central station for Free Staters.

In the absence of that however, why not just pick an existing restaurant and designate it as our GSS?

"Grand Sentral Station"?  ;D

cathleeninnh

While it would be nice to think there was someplace we could hang out, I don't think we have the numbers yet. Maybe with a porcupine owned or managed estalishment, we could set up a porcupine table. How about a sign on this table that says This Table Gets Special Service/Coupon. Take a brochure to find out why.

Cathleen

AlanM

Just want to let everyone know that progress is being made on this. Negotiations have started.  :)

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

I drove by the Marlborough place yesterday at 6:04 in the morning and at 6:45 at night and it was closed both times. It was also closed last friday night at 7:15.
Do they do such brisk business in the day that they don't need to be open much? I was thinking that Alan, Scott and company would have that place rocking on a Friday night and up and rolling at 6am for the early coffee crowd. 8)

Lloyd Danforth

Selling 15-20 cups per hour just to pay one worker, not counting rent and utilities?

AlanM

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 02, 2005, 06:30 AM NHFT
Selling 15-20 cups per hour just to pay one worker, not counting rent and utilities?

Don't forget the Shorty Dawkins T-shirts, sweatshirts, coffee mugs, beer mugs, nhfree bumper stickers and stuff, plus the Song Books, posters, and other unique, must have items.
Oh yeah, be sure to take home some Shorty Dawkins Coffee Beans. Have you tried the Mad Mountain Jack Java Beans?

Kat Kanning

You need someone like John Connell in there singing freedom songs  ;D

AlanM

Maybe be a place to purchase silver coins.  ;)

Lloyd Danforth

While coffee is a universally desired product (read addiction), all the other stuff caters to a bunch of insiders limited to. say, 35-40 (liberal) Porcs within reasonable driving distance of Marlboro, who, after all, can only but so much Shorty Dawkins stuff.

Kat Kanning

Lordy, Lloyd....your curmudgeon factor is sure going up lately.

Lloyd Danforth

I will certainly be a customer when it opens.

What is a Curmudgeon anyway?

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor.  . . . . .   They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment.   . . . . .   Nature, having failed to equip them with a servicable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.
      Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.
      Perhaps curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message: They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor.
- JON WINOKUR

AlanM

Lloyd underestimates the power of Shorty Dawkins.  ;D

AlanM

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 02, 2005, 10:04 AM NHFT
I will certainly be a customer when it opens.

What is a Curmudgeon anyway?

? ? ? A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy. They ease the pain by turning hurt into humor.? . . . . .? ?They attack maudlinism because it devalues genuine sentiment.? ?. . . . .? ?Nature, having failed to equip them with a servicable denial mechanism, has endowed them with astute perception and sly wit.
? ? ? Curmudgeons are mockers and debunkers whose bitterness is a symptom rather than a disease. They can't compromise their standards and can't manage the suspension of disbelief necessary for feigned cheerfulness. Their awareness is a curse.
? ? ? Perhaps curmudgeons have gotten a bad rap in the same way that the messenger is blamed for the message: They have the temerity to comment on the human condition without apology. They not only refuse to applaud mediocrity, they howl it down with morose glee. Their versions of the truth unsettle us, and we hold it against them, even though they soften it with humor.
- JON WINOKUR

I think this fits Lloyd very well. He should wear the label as a badge of honor.