• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Coffee shop/bookstore

Started by AlanM, August 21, 2005, 10:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencer

For a model of how to "compete" with Borders, etc. by being unique, check out Powell's Books http://www.powells.com in Portland, Oregon.

They have new and used books right next to each other -- the main store is three stories, taking up an entire city block, and has over 1 million books in stock.

Powell's is probably the best bookstore in the world (and I've been to a lot of bookstores).

Spencer

Kat Kanning

I grew up in Portland.  Mmmmmm....Powell's :)  :icon_study: :read2: :read:

Russell Kanning

Powell's also had the advantage of being around .... before ... the other guys.

Lloyd Danforth

I have always been an avid reader and lover of books.  When I was young books were more expensive than they are now.  Bookstores were smaller, stuffy and if you lingered too long with an open book in your hands the clerks would begin to clear their throats in warning.
In the late 60's and early 70's their was a revolution in 'self help' and 'how to' books and book stores changed.  I was in California in 1972, and spent time in towns along the S.F. peninsula. I could not believe the size of the bookstores!  They were in what had, apparently, in the past, been small supermarkets and department stores.  They were enormous, with stacks of books about everything and walls covered with posters, very popular at the time.
When a Barnes and Knoble opened in a town near me in the 80's with chairs and tables and people hanging around reading, I thought that was a wonderful thing.  I did witness one customer, carrying the concept to extremes,  come up to the counter,  thumb keeping her place in a book, asking if they had a copier.
Now all the bookstores have coffee and I am in Heaven!  I drop some books and magazines on the table and get my coffee and thumb thru the reading material, always buying something when I leave.

ravelkinbow

There is an empty store right across the street from the fed. building in Concord...hehe

ravelkinbow

on second thought do we really want to make it that easy for them to get us on camera....hum

Pat McCotter

Yep. Also, the coffee shop across from the state house is still available.

Pat McCotter

Well, could be, but it is still empty.

Pat McCotter

Pleasant St. across from Fed bldg has no signs in the windows.

The old Coffee Mill on N. Main across from State House does.
Leonard, Lee & Co. 603-672-5100.

KBCraig

Quote from: ravelkinbow on May 29, 2006, 01:15 PM NHFT
on second thought do we really want to make it that easy for them to get us on camera....hum

But it would also make it easier for us to get them on camera.  >:D

ravelkinbow

Quote from: KBCraig on May 29, 2006, 03:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: ravelkinbow on May 29, 2006, 01:15 PM NHFT

But it would also make it easier for us to get them on camera.  >:D

good point   >:D

AmerTownCrier

This thread is up to 20 pages. On page 19 I saw Russells comment about me!!! The guy from Michigan who is interested. Not only do I enjoy the setting of a coffee shop but if anyone ever wants to print their own book...I can print it...'in house' so to speak. So, count me in. I'm also waiting to hear from calibaba77 (I might have his screen name wrong) on how to start a thread.) I have an idea for helping people move as well as helping the FSP that is in need of hashing out some details to make it work...assuming it can be done. So, like I said...count me in...and help me get the hell out of Michigan and into NH where I belong.

Dreepa

ATC

Click on the NH underground link (right above this box).
Then click on General Discussion.
Then on the right hand side there is a tab marked 'Start a new topic'.

Hope that helps.

Russell Kanning

I need to check on some spaces in the middle of Keene.... I have been a slacker.

The library idea in Amherst would include coffee and such, but we will have to share space ..... so it isn't going to be like the coffee shop idea.