• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Coffee shop/bookstore

Started by AlanM, August 21, 2005, 10:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on August 24, 2005, 03:12 PM NHFTI have noticed a strange phenomenon in Manchester; most cafes close around 3:00PM! That is incredibly bizarre to me. Late afternoon is when I'm most likely to get sleepy and need a jolt of java. I would guess that is a market niche waiting to be filled, at least in this town.
maybe ours could be open lunch onwards 8)

joeyforpresident

Friday, stop being so negative. A coffee shop/bookstore would take off in no time, if certain things are considered.

One being that MANY, MANY patrons to coffee shops and bookstores are in fact younger people -- college-to-young-adult status (like me).

So plan the joint project to reflect that. Say, put an acoustic band or author-book signing in every Saturday night or something.

Stay open real late if possible.

Put lots of couches around - Barnes & Noble sucks at this.

Put Wi-Fi spots all around, even allow for the use of the Internet at "stations" with the price of a book or something. Become a Half.com dealer!

You could even allow kids to bring in their old books to sell online.

BIGGIE: Sell college textbooks for 40% lower than what the monopolies are charging!

I guarantee if you implement these ideas, you won't just be worried about "scraping by."

And hell, why stop with books and coffee? Put a miniature golf course inside the thing, 18 holes, and allow people to study, drink-and-chat AND play :)

And name the thing ConverStation lol.

BTW: I can, in fact, sell employee life & health insurance policies :) Something to consider for benefit packages :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: joeyforpresident on August 24, 2005, 07:49 PM NHFTFriday, stop being so negative.

Stay open real late if possible.

Put lots of couches around - Barnes & Noble sucks at this.

Put a miniature golf course inside the thing, 18 holes, and allow people to study, drink-and-chat AND play :)

huh?

8)

8) 8)

how big do you think this place will be? ..... you can't even do that in a "big box" bookstore

Russell Kanning

how about 1 long hole with changable hazards/paths? if the place is big :-[

Pat K

I always thought golf would be more interesting if you could stand to the side with a shotgun when your oppent tees off and try to shoot his ball out of the air.

Pat McCotter

AlanM

Joey, we are talking about a coffee shop/bookstore, not an entertainment center. You are free to start such a place, but count me out. One size does not fit all.

Russell Kanning

AlanM

If we are to get anything up and running we need to start focusing ideas. That is what pcwallis is trying to help us do.

Russell Kanning

are you discussing the details here?

Where do you want to have this shop?

I can help with bookkeeping and such. 8)

Friday

I'm not in a position to contribute funds to buying or opening a business.  However, if others buy/open one, I might apply for a part-time job.

YeahItsMeJP

I'd hire Friday at a moments notice! I just need to deal with some familiy matters (my grandfather is not well at all, and I am his health care proxy - and yes, that means he is not well enough now that I have to start thinking about the duties of a healthcare proxy) and then I want to work on my business plan.

JP

Friday

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on August 30, 2005, 04:47 PM NHFT
Friday, Scott wants to know if anyone has hired you yet?  Scott, I believe "her" is here.

Nope, not yet!

Friday

Quote from: Jim C. Perry on August 30, 2005, 08:37 PM NHFT
I'd hire Friday at a moments notice! I just need to deal with some familiy matters (my grandfather is not well at all, and I am his health care proxy - and yes, that means he is not well enough now that I have to start thinking about the duties of a healthcare proxy) and then I want to work on my business plan.

Gee, thanks!  :)  Is this business plan something you've posted about elsewhere, or is this the first mention you're making of it? Sorry to hear about your grandfather.  :-[

YeahItsMeJP

Well, basically I had mentioned I wanted to open a bookstore/cafe type of deal. My focus would be on subversive, anti-authoritarian books, t-shirts, flags, bumperstickers, etc.

The basic outline thus far is to stick to working on an online business and to open up shop at county fairs.

Anyone interested in the idea can email me privately.