• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Coffee shop/bookstore

Started by AlanM, August 21, 2005, 10:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

He has it but he has to go to Montana to dig it up. :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Pat K on January 10, 2006, 07:51 PM NHFT
He has it but he has to go to Montana to dig it up. :)

Didn't Zappa sing about him?
...Movin? to montana soon
Gonna be a dental floss tycoon...
(Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay)

Pat McCotter

Coffee Mill in Concord is still vacant also.

Russell Kanning

Is the place in Concord and Marlborough closing a good or bad sign?

Kat Kanning

The for sale sign was still up at Jitterbeans the other day.

pcwallis

Hi Scott and Alan

Please check your e-mails.  I have e-mailed you both.

Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

pcwallis

Yes I got it.  I will be in meetings all day today.

Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

Mark

Quote from: patmccotter on January 10, 2006, 09:36 PM NHFT
Coffee Mill in Concord is still vacant also.

Coffee Mill was actually bought, and ran for a week or so before shutting down. I guess the owner has another place in Keene or somewhere nearby. There have been 4 different owners that I can remember. There are 4 other places to get coffee within a few minutes' walk on that side of N. Main St., which might have something to do with it.

Russell Kanning

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Scott Roth on January 23, 2006, 11:37 PM NHFT
Coffee...cheesecake...YUM! :D

You forgot the cognac! :o

Coffee...cognac...cheesecake...YUM!

Thespis

Quote from: joeyforpresident on August 24, 2005, 07:49 PM NHFT
One being that MANY, MANY patrons to coffee shops and bookstores are in fact younger people -- college-to-young-adult status (like me).

So plan the joint project to reflect that. Say, put an acoustic band or author-book signing in every Saturday night or something.

Or, have local musicians sit in and play in the shop during regular business hours.

Put lots of couches around . . . Put Wi-Fi spots all around

Also a good idea.

I'd also suggest having games on a shelf (chess, checkers, Trivial Pursuit, cards, etc.).

And, have at least one option for those of us who don't drink coffee, like hot chocolate, or something.

Thespis

Quote from: AlanM on December 05, 2005, 11:48 PM NHFT
  One of the things I want to do with the Cafe is have some educational stuff in the evenings, like lectures, or exhibits, or even classes. I was talking to Demi Papadinis of the New England Shakespeare Festival, and she and I will give a workshop or two on "Bringing Shakespeare Alive". Shakespeare is usually presented as dull, dull, dull. He's not. He is bawdy as hell, even more so than most people ever imagine. They just don't do the research.
  Demi is currently doing a new annotated version of Romeo and Juliet. She has been amazed at what she has discovered, that others have totally missed. I can't wait for her to finish it and have published.  8)

Yes.

Shakespeare is full of low humor.

I think this is a good idea as well.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Thespis on January 25, 2006, 04:51 PM NHFT
Quote from: joeyforpresident on August 24, 2005, 07:49 PM NHFT
One being that MANY, MANY patrons to coffee shops and bookstores are in fact younger people -- college-to-young-adult status (like me).

So plan the joint project to reflect that. Say, put an acoustic band or author-book signing in every Saturday night or something.

Or, have local musicians sit in and play in the shop during regular business hours.

Put lots of couches around . . . Put Wi-Fi spots all around

Also a good idea.

I'd also suggest having games on a shelf (chess, checkers, Trivial Pursuit, cards, etc.).

And, have at least one option for those of us who don't drink coffee, like hot chocolate, or something.

Apple cide is pretty big in New England.

Lloyd Danforth

This killing of apples has to stop!

Thespis

Quote from: TN-FSP on January 25, 2006, 06:49 PM NHFT
Apple cide is pretty big in New England.

Actually, after I posted I thought about hot tea as an non-coffee option.

Just throwing it out there.

But, cider's good too.