• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Let's Start A - Post Your Skills

Started by pcwallis, August 21, 2005, 10:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli

And never respond to email inquiries about your business. ;)

Lex

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 21, 2005, 07:50 PM NHFT
I make toys and take great pleasure in making the greatest amount of parts and assemblies in the shortest amount of time using my power tools and the  jigs and fixtures I have designed and built.
But, sometimes I just like to rip a board with a handsaw I have sharpened, or dovetail a couple of boards together , just to keep my hand in it!
I also love to plane cedar, just for the smell.

Do you have an apprenticeship program? :-) I would love to learn!

I have some wood working experience (i took a few classes in this guys garage) but I would love to do more. I currently have a ridgid table saw, delta mitersaw, bosch router, sander and jigsaw. So far that's been keeping me busy but I still have A LOT to learn. Currently I'm working on a workbench for my basement where i work.

This is the plan i'm using:

http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm

Kat Kanning

polyanarch

Quote from: eukreign on October 24, 2005, 12:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 21, 2005, 07:50 PM NHFT
I make toys and take great pleasure in making the greatest amount of parts and assemblies in the shortest amount of time using my power tools and the  jigs and fixtures I have designed and built.
But, sometimes I just like to rip a board with a handsaw I have sharpened, or dovetail a couple of boards together , just to keep my hand in it!
I also love to plane cedar, just for the smell.

Do you have an apprenticeship program? :-) I would love to learn!

I'd love to apprentice under Llyod!

Just being paid in smiles would be enough...

Lex

Quote from: katdillon on October 24, 2005, 01:02 PM NHFT
http://eukreign.net/ is slick-looking :)

Thanks, I need to get my butt in gear and start posting on there...

I've been kinda depressed lately over work. Working as a software developer puts a lot of strain on my eyes from sitting at the computer and I have to take a lot of breaks which makes it very hard to work.

Hopefuly when we move to NH and start our horse barn I can spend more time outside. Honestly, I'd rather clean stalls than do computer work.

Eli

But sadly, cleaning stalls will never pay as well.

president

Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2005, 03:00 PM NHFT
You don't know what thy make in India.....

Eli

Perhaps I should have said, "...within a region."

Kat Kanning

Quote from: eukreign on October 24, 2005, 02:13 PM NHFT
Hopefuly when we move to NH and start our horse barn I can spend more time outside. Honestly, I'd rather clean stalls than do computer work.

/nod  We're enjoying doing yardwork.  Especially since Russell does most of it  ;)

Lex

Quote from: Eli on October 24, 2005, 03:00 PM NHFT

It will if you own the stalls and charge a good fee for board ;-)

You would be surprised how much board can cost. Here in Illinois most of the barns in our area charge about 400-500 a month to keep a horse. People are willing to pay that much if their horses are well sheltered, fed and taken care of. If you have 30 stalls available that adds up.

But it's not easy, it's A LOT of work, i'm just saying that it does pay well if you are willing to work hard.

president

Don't forget you can give riding lessons too....

Lex

Quote from: president on October 24, 2005, 04:23 PM NHFT
Don't forget you can give riding lessons too....

Riding lessons usually do not have enough of a profit margin to make them worthwhile (unless you like doing them enough to not care how much you make). The main reason boarding places offer lessons is to attract customers to hold their horses there.

But we will definitely do lessons. My wife used to teach horse riding full time (she loves teaching horse riding) until it started costing her in gas more than she was making working there at which point she had to quit or she would go broke :-(

ladyattis

Okay, I'll take a stab on this thread....

Industrial

- General warehouse inventory.
- UPS shipping(warehouse orders).
- Plastics vacuum molds(operator and inspector).
- Haz-Mat experience but no certification... :(
- CDL B, but no airbrakes... :P
- And etc obvious stuff you need to know like how to measure things... DUH!

Computers

- General C and C++ experience, some java and jscript
- HTML4 and DHTML :P
- Photoshop
- Spline-based 3d modelling
- Network(hardware implementation(setting up the ol routers and etc) and software(making sure the OS' chattered with each other correctly)). :P
- Typing(QWERT 50WPM[yes I'm S L O W...])

Misc

- Philosophy(Objectivism, Critical Rationalism, Logic, and Aesthetics).. :P
- Science(Methodologies and statistics)
- Mathematics(Biz Calc, Algebra, and etc)...
- Physics(Electromagnetics[Radio and Electronics], and General knowledge in other fields)
- Decent Artist(Pen and Pencil, some watercolour technique)
- And I'm cute too.  :P :P :P :P :P :P

-- Bridget

polyanarch

Quote from: ladyattis on October 24, 2005, 06:26 PM NHFT

- And I'm cute too.  :P :P :P :P :P :P

-- Bridget

I bet.

Do you have an amateur radio license?  Ham chicks are the best ;)

ladyattis

I never applied, I hated the idea of paying the FCC for something that should be free, I just stuck to playing with quarter wave antennas and trying to get deep space radio observations going, no dice on that either the city had too much noise around the spectrum of the gas giants. :(

-- Bridget