• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What happened to mail flags?

Started by dalebert, November 21, 2008, 09:36 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

This is a whining thread. Where I grew up outside Atlanta, everyone had a mailbox by the end of their driveway with a rigid metal flag that you raise when you had outgoing mail. Here, there is a box on the inner door with no flag. If we put outgoing mail, the mailman doesn't even check unless we're receiving mail that day and he doesn't pick up our mail. WTF?
>:(

doobie

Here I thought you had a type and meant "male flags" but was wondering what they were....

.... probably the same usage of garage in N.E.  A garage is for storage of anything but cars.

AntonLee

I've left mail out in the mailbox with the flag up.  It wasn't taken.  I called and they told me to bring it to a mailbox.  I hung up.

Lloyd Danforth

When I lived in the city we had a clothes pin on our porch mailbox to clip outgoing mail.  They always took it.

FTL_Ian

There are mailboxes outside a certain radius in Keene.  For whatever reason, they just don't exist in downtown Keene.  You can try the clothespin idea, or just drop your mail in the blue boxes that are around.

I have also had the postal bureaucrats ignore my outgoing mail on days they have nothing to deliver.  Depends on the bureaucrat.

dalebert

I think we have tried to paper clip letters to the box but I don't think he even glances our way when he doesn't have mail to deliver.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: dalebert on November 21, 2008, 11:04 AM NHFT
I think we have tried to paper clip letters to the box but I don't think he even glances our way when he doesn't have mail to deliver.

Sounds about right.  I have a blue mailbox down the street from me.  If I have something I need to ensure gets out that day, I use it.

AntonLee

probably don't get mine picked up because we don't leave a 'christmas bonus'

K. Darien Freeheart

Is it a top loader or a side loader? If it's a top loader, leave outgoing mail halfway lodged in it, they always take it when I do that.

Except the one time the (not my regular) butthole carrier actually took all of that out, dropped it on the floor and put my mail in the box then left.

error

The mailman today here delivered mail and STILL ignored the outgoing mail.

dalebert

It was about 20 til 4 today when I realized the mailman hadn't taken the postcard for Lauren. I hurredly got my shoes on so I could walk downtown and put it in the box which picks up at 4. Just barely out my door, I see the mailman coming. Apparently he was having a late day. So I just handed it to him and was relieved I didn't have to rush downtown in hopes of beating the pickup.

Friday

The Feds use mail as a method of tracking proles these days.  Before I moved to NH, I looked into the possibility of just buying a mailbox and sticking it on the front of my parents' house, with an "A" or something tacked onto their street number.  But it doesn't work that way.  You need to REGISTER in order to make your box "official".   ::)

I have had the experience of having the mailman just plain skip my entire apartment building for several days straight (which would be a felony if you weren't, you know... a FED  ::) ).  Complaining does no good.

Pat K

Quote from: dalebert on November 21, 2008, 09:36 AM NHFT
This is a whining thread. Where I grew up outside Atlanta, everyone had a mailbox by the end of their driveway with a rigid metal flag that you raise when you had outgoing mail. Here, there is a box on the inner door with no flag. If we put outgoing mail, the mailman doesn't even check unless we're receiving mail that day and he doesn't pick up our mail. WTF?

It is a real bummer when your rigid raised flag is ignored.

AntonLee

UPS/FedEx/DHL would definitely not have as much business if they decided to just 'skip out' and go whack off in the truck for a day or two.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on November 21, 2008, 08:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on November 21, 2008, 09:36 AM NHFT

It is a real bummer when your rigid raised flag is ignored.

Or, worse yet, laughed at