• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom Couches

Started by ArvinJA, November 21, 2008, 07:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ArvinJA

Ok, it feels stupid for me to say what you should do, since I have only done minor civil disobedience in Sweden (The police wanted to talk to me for knocking on a school door for too long, so I confessed to killing the Swedish prime minister Olof Palme in the 70s, when I wasn't even born and it kinda took off from there. That and I've held a manifestation against government surveillence without a permit where I was kinda chicken.).
But I really think this is a good idea that should be executed by Keene people if they're willing to take the risk (IAN, not you, let other people have a go).

The Idea:
Get free couches from craigslist and put them on your lawns and put up signs where it says "Freedom Couch" next to it.
So, what do you think?  ;D

Here's couches:
http://nh.craigslist.org/zip/926199675.html
http://nh.craigslist.org/zip/927017695.html

Becky Thatcher

Quote from: ArvinJA on November 21, 2008, 07:00 PM NHFT
(The police wanted to talk to me for knocking on a school door for too long, so I confessed to killing the Swedish prime minister Olof Palme in the 70s, when I wasn't even born and it kinda took off from there.)

That's pretty damn funny. +1 to you.

ArvinJA

Quote from: Becky Thatcher on November 21, 2008, 07:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: ArvinJA on November 21, 2008, 07:00 PM NHFT
(The police wanted to talk to me for knocking on a school door for too long, so I confessed to killing the Swedish prime minister Olof Palme in the 70s, when I wasn't even born and it kinda took off from there.)

That's pretty damn funny. +1 to you.
I'm not the first Libertarian in Sweden to do that, so it's not too original anymore, but I guess I was the second Libertarian to do that though.

Rodinia

Not in Keene but it's the funniest Craigs list add I've ever seen!!
Which, don't get me wrong, isn't say too much.
http://nh.craigslist.org/zip/929146147.html

Lloyd Danforth

ArvinJA

Quote from: Rodinia on November 22, 2008, 07:33 AM NHFT
Not in Keene but it's the funniest Craigs list add I've ever seen!!
Which, don't get me wrong, isn't say too much.
http://nh.craigslist.org/zip/929146147.html
Priceless!  :) Or actually... FREE! ;)

EDIT: And yeah, the point of putting "Freedom Couches" on your lawns is showing the City of Keene that when they cut off one head, 2 new heads will pop up.

David

ArvinJA

ColdSoul

I actually think if you did this then it would be covered by the right to protest/free speech. For example there is a case of a women taking off her top  exposing her breasts where it was deemed legal because it was in protest against her lack of right to take off her top. So basically due to it being a protest even if it was illegal it was not ok to take her to jail because she was protesting a law. (This was on Penn and Teller BS)

dalebert

Quote from: ColdSoul on November 25, 2008, 09:37 AM NHFT
So basically due to it being a protest even if it was illegal it was not ok to take her to jail because she was protesting a law. (This was on Penn and Teller BS)

That might be cool to try in court, but I sure wouldn't bank on it!

ArvinJA

Quote from: ColdSoul on November 25, 2008, 09:37 AM NHFT
I actually think if you did this then it would be covered by the right to protest/free speech. For example there is a case of a women taking off her top  exposing her breasts where it was deemed legal because it was in protest against her lack of right to take off her top. So basically due to it being a protest even if it was illegal it was not ok to take her to jail because she was protesting a law. (This was on Penn and Teller BS)
I actually thought about that too.In Sweden the Swastika is a forbidden sign under certain circumstances, but used satirically (like putting it inside a david star to protest Israel) it's legal under Swedish free speech laws.

oscar_swede

Quote from: ArvinJA on November 25, 2008, 04:53 PM NHFTI actually thought about that too.In Sweden the Swastika is a forbidden sign under certain circumstances, but used satirically (like putting it inside a david star to protest Israel) it's legal under Swedish free speech laws.

Really? I haven't spent much time in Sweden lately, so I've completely missed this...or is it simply that the symbol itself could be considered "hets mot folkgrupp" (don't know the correct legal term for this in English)?

/O

ArvinJA

Quote from: oscar_swede on November 25, 2008, 07:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: ArvinJA on November 25, 2008, 04:53 PM NHFTI actually thought about that too.In Sweden the Swastika is a forbidden sign under certain circumstances, but used satirically (like putting it inside a david star to protest Israel) it's legal under Swedish free speech laws.

Really? I haven't spent much time in Sweden lately, so I've completely missed this...or is it simply that the symbol itself could be considered "hets mot folkgrupp" (don't know the correct legal term for this in English)?

/O
I'm not sure, but I looked it up because I used it to prove a point on a school assignment back in Sweden and they tld that was against the law. And I think you can only use the Swastika for political satire, educational purposes and so. I will google it again. It had something with "prejudikat" (Swedish law term) to do.

EDIT: "Om man offentligt visar upp svastikan i Sverige idag kan det t.ex. räknas som förargelseväckande beteende eller falla under lagen om hets mot folkgrupp, och därmed vara straffbart." Yup, seems like if it can be interpreted as racist or demeaning in any way it's forbidden, except if it's a political statement (because of the court interpretation).