• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How much interest is there in a RidleyReport DVD?

Started by Dave Ridley, November 24, 2008, 10:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I am thinking of collecting all the ridley reports onto one or two dvd's so people can watch them in chronological order from the beginning in somewhat higher quality.  Obviously this would save your bandwidth too. 

How interesting is this to you , and how much would likely be a fair price for each disk?  how much does it cost to burn dvd's usually?  how much do dvd's themselves cost?

Also I'm likely not going to spend the twenty hours it would take to remove the ads, so they would need to remain on the disk.   I'm not sure if there would be a way for me to profit from ads that get seen on DVD, but it would be good for the advertisers and impractical to remove them.

Coconut

Quote from: DadaOrwell on November 24, 2008, 10:35 AM NHFT
How interesting is this to you , and how much would likely be a fair price for each disk?  how much does it cost to burn dvd's usually?  how much do dvd's themselves cost?

A DVD itself, when bought it stacks of 50 or more, won't be more than 50 cents for some of the best quality printable DVDs. If you don't have a color printer that prints on DVDs though, no point in getting that. I would suspect it would take an average of 6-8 minutes per DVD to burn, depending on your hardware. Of course you don't have to sit and watch each one burn, so you'll have to do your own calcultions on how much actual "labor" it will take you.

dalebert

I think what makes the reports interesting is that they're topical to what's going on right now. I'm interested because I like to find out what's going on. I'm well caught up and have seen just about all the Ridley Reports so I probably wouldn't be interested in a compilation myself.

What might work better is a more careful editing of the reports used to tell a story. You could sort of tell a story about the FSP and the progress that's been made and show the changes over time with clips from your reports. I think that, if done well and promoted well, might interest even those who've seen all the reports already.

You'll have to decide whether now is the time for it or whether to wait a little while for a certain event that might be a nice way to top it off.

Kat Kanning

Ron Helwig

J’raxis 270145

I am thinking of collecting all the ridley reports onto one or two dvd's so people can watch them in chronological order from the beginning in somewhat higher quality.  Obviously this would save your bandwidth too. 

This is an excellent idea! I keep meaning to download them all myself, at some point, but never have the time to do so.

Quote from: DadaOrwell on November 24, 2008, 10:35 AM NHFTHow interesting is this to you , and how much would likely be a fair price for each disk?  how much does it cost to burn dvd's usually?  how much do dvd's themselves cost?

I think doing something like making a DVD (or DVD set) for each year, at a cost of, say, no more than $20, would be reasonable. Naturally the 2007 DVD should be cheaper since you only started doing Ridley Reports in the fall of '07.

Also I'm likely not going to spend the twenty hours it would take to remove the ads, so they would need to remain on the disk.   I'm not sure if there would be a way for me to profit from ads that get seen on DVD, but it would be good for the advertisers and impractical to remove them.

If you mean your own ads, I'd prefer them to be left in, considering how amusing they usually are. ;D

Giggan

This is something I'd be interested in if the price were not too high. Less than 8 FRNs a DVD I could go for. I'm thinking having the set ready to play anywhere might appeal to new porcs, people just turning on to the movement. Seeing all the ridley reports in order would be like an NH Liberty history lesson.

I made a mockumentary about a janitor from my high school and self produced the DVDs, and was pleased with the end result. I bought 100 nice dvd cases on eBay for 25FRNs, had a friend of mine at Kinko's print out 50 cover inserts for around 16FRNs, and bought a reel of DVD-r's, and manually burned copies. Then I bought Avery CD-cover design things and just photoshopped together a design, printing them myself and sticking them onto the DVD-r's. If demand is low but you still wanna make it happen, that could be one avenue.

tony

I am interested. Not to excited with the comercials though. :)

Peacemaker

A couple months ago, I had the idea of you doing a DVD, featuring "The Best" of Ridley....and basically the focus of the videos would be ones that you could give to someone who's totally unaware of the movement  (for example, I'd love to show my family both of Ian's challenges in court (couch)...and another one that I thought was brilliant was the one where you were in front of City hall petitioning....and the cops came...and they questioned you..and then you questioned them, and then they ran away from you!....it was awesome!...I think the cop ones are especially fun to watch...Hunter's Video comes to mind....maybe you could compile a few outside ones as well.....

"Defying the State Peaceably"...maybe add Dave Ryder's speeding Ticket...just a bunch of victories....perhaps it could even be used by the FSP for recruting?  The videos would have the focus of what the FSP has done, impacted....actually, not that I mention, I suddenly see you doing a little bumper and maybe some analysis footage to add to the DVD, as you tell the story of your "capturing the Wevoulution"

Price...I"m sure 10 would sound good..but if $5 sure sounds a hell of alot better for FSPers!...Either way, I would still pay $10 for it..

Coconut

Quote from: Giggan on November 29, 2008, 04:41 PM NHFT
Then I bought Avery CD-cover design things and just photoshopped together a design, printing them myself and sticking them onto the DVD-r's.

oh dear.

How long ago was this? Do your DVDs still work? CD labels will warp DVDs to an extent that they become unplayable in some players. Everything I labeled went bad in less than 8 months, one customer reported it in under 3. If the video is less than 10 minutes you might be okay, because it warps it like a bowl, so the outside of the DVD is more sensitive to it than the inside.

Giggan

They're only 30 minutes long, and so far, no problems. I printed them back in May, so it's been...7 months? I have like 5 left and need to print more, maybe 20 copies have been distributed so far.

Coconut

Quote from: Giggan on December 02, 2008, 12:25 PM NHFT
They're only 30 minutes long, and so far, no problems. I printed them back in May, so it's been...7 months? I have like 5 left and need to print more, maybe 20 copies have been distributed so far.

Hope it works. I don't risk it anymore since I have a 100% failure rate :) Some of them would play in my computer and portable DVD player, but not one hooked to a TV, so some players are more sensitive to it than others.