• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A cool looking, affordable legal services company

Started by PowerPenguin, November 17, 2008, 05:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

I just saw the following as an ad on Facebook: https://www.prepaidlegal.com/Multisite/JSP/info/mem.jsp. It looks like there's a company offering affordable legal services for a regular monthly fee. Sort of a free market "insurance-ified" approach to legal issues. I haven't dealt with this company myself, so I can't attest to its merits, but it looks cool. Anyone here know more?

doobie

Quote from: PowerPenguin on November 17, 2008, 05:09 PM NHFT
I just saw the following as an ad on Facebook: https://www.prepaidlegal.com/Multisite/JSP/info/mem.jsp. It looks like there's a company offering affordable legal services for a regular monthly fee. Sort of a free market "insurance-ified" approach to legal issues. I haven't dealt with this company myself, so I can't attest to its merits, but it looks cool. Anyone here know more?

We have a similar thing at work.  It's like $20 a month.  I called them up and asked them if it would cover me if I legally used a rifle, shotgun, or pistol in self defence and someone was legally injured or killed.  They said no it didn't cover me killing someone, I asked even if it was legal for me to kill them?  They seemed confused about how it could be legal to kill someone.  I explained that if someone breaks into my house I have the legal right to shoot and kill them.  They told me why not just call the police, I told them it takes 30 minutes for them to get here, my pistol will take care of business in 5 seconds flat, then I just have to wait for the clean up crew.

I think the lady was a bit disgusted.

PowerPenguin

Dude what did you expect? 8-) If it's not agorist, you can't trust it. Such orgs could be very good for generic issues, and could help in more... "interesting" circumstances, if only by staving things off a bit.

doobie

Quote from: PowerPenguin on November 17, 2008, 05:48 PM NHFT
Dude what did you expect? 8-) If it's not agorist, you can't trust it. Such orgs could be very good for generic issues, and could help in more... "interesting" circumstances, if only by staving things off a bit.

The only things I need aren't worth the services for a year, so I never bothered with it....however lawyer insurance if they'd protect me in the case of a civil/criminal suit coming from me injuring or killing someone who breaks into my house, car, or attacking me would be nice.

The hundred or two for a trust setup isn't worth the fee.  Maybe when I go to get married so I can have them draft up the contract, but that probably won't be worth it either.

dalebert

I signed up for a service like that through American Express and it was worthless. They don't actually want to provide anything that requires any effort whatsoever. I don't know. Maybe this one will be different, but I doubt it. Lawyers don't have any trouble finding customers for their ridiculous fees so why provide it at such a discount?

Peacemaker

Pre Paid Legal, I enrolled with this company, sold a few "policies," as well as used the service.  Generally speaking, in this legalese world, it's hard to miss based on the low cost of it.  How it works is you build up hours over the years and can really have a pretty handsome pile of man hours for money.  There are a few exclusions as in a Murder case for example, but if you aren't planning on taking anyone out, it is pretty handy to pick up the phone and get a call back on from a lawyer and get your questions answered.  The trick is getting in before you need them, so you can build up some hours.

The law firm I ended up being referred to/used was a pretty big firm and the way they make money is the firms get a super nice chunk of cash for not doing much of anything because in reality, not many people use the service.  If you are in small town, they will even put a lawyer on the road to represent you for even the smallest things, thus saving you money.  With that said, I dropped out the program to save money because I wasn't using it, but like I say, for the coin, you can't miss as it's like you can use them for "free" on 90% of matters where you would need a lawyer.

SpeedPhreak

a friend sold this - & I bought a policy... so did my brother.  I never used it because after he was screwed by his lawyer (that we still had to pay 3500 on top of the pre paid legal referal) I dropped it.  The only thing that "saved" my brother was he told the judge he was joining the army (which he did & serves now).

his "crime" "felony menacing".... he pointed my gun at a "huge" dude that was in my apartment, while I wasn't there, that neither of us knew & did not have permission to be there.  he was there because my ex g/f gave him her key (which she refused to give me after I kicked her out) & told him to run up & grab her stuff.

the cops confiscated ALL my guns & it took me almost a year after his case was dismissed to get them back... sorry but screw PPL.

Peacemaker

how long had you had the membership before needing to use them?  I think the biggest draw back is you need to be in for several years before you can build up any major hours, but also, any gun related crimes are treated differently and that should have been explained up front.. (when i was in, it's was like $15 a month..honestly, how much coverage can one really expect and demand for so little coin up front?)  I would guess it still saved you money overall since any decent lawyer (or gov. spy, oh i guess I shouldn't say that) seems to get at least $150 an hour).

SpeedPhreak

I will say - nothing much was explained up front.  It was made to sound as if we would get 100% benefit from day 1.  Actually - until today I didn't know you had to bank hours.

That said - the lawyer we got was crap.  He tried to get my brother to take a deal that was probably the same as if he would have gone with a public defender.  I don't think he spent more than 10hrs on the case (more than likely less than 1hr).  It was my brother who spoke to the judge & got the charge dropped (due to military service).

Peacemaker

Obviously even the most expensive law firms can leave the client saying "my lawyer was crap.'  Sad but true.  And I'm sorry you expected the best lawyer money could buy for $12 bucks a month.  For a fair analysis, the exact details are very important which it sounds like you don't have exactly.  Don't get me wrong, I dropped the service too because I did not see that I was going to use it as I''m not a business owner and have limited risks but I'd rather have it as another benefit is you can build an lawyers' retainer fee as well, all included in your monthly charge.

Regarding not much explained up front, again, a $12 sale (month to month, can cancel at anytime) typically doesn't get the presentation of a major insurance plan, but the brochure does say it .   And if you're a business owner, it is especially handy.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on November 18, 2008, 08:26 PM NHFT
a friend sold this - & I bought a policy... so did my brother.  I never used it because after he was screwed by his lawyer (that we still had to pay 3500 on top of the pre paid legal referal) I dropped it.  The only thing that "saved" my brother was he told the judge he was joining the army (which he did & serves now).

his "crime" "felony menacing".... he pointed my gun at a "huge" dude that was in my apartment, while I wasn't there, that neither of us knew & did not have permission to be there.  he was there because my ex g/f gave him her key (which she refused to give me after I kicked her out) & told him to run up & grab her stuff.

the cops confiscated ALL my guns & it took me almost a year after his case was dismissed to get them back... sorry but screw PPL.

Wow, that's really messed up!  Your brother getting charged for pointing a gun at a "stranger" in your apartment.   I wonder if they make up new names for charging people with crimes, felony menacing, ridiculous!  ::)

SpeedPhreak

Quote from: Peacemaker on November 19, 2008, 09:10 AM NHFT
Obviously even the most expensive law firms can leave the client saying "my lawyer was crap.'  Sad but true.  And I'm sorry you expected the best lawyer money could buy for $12 bucks a month.  For a fair analysis, the exact details are very important which it sounds like you don't have exactly.  Don't get me wrong, I dropped the service too because I did not see that I was going to use it as I''m not a business owner and have limited risks but I'd rather have it as another benefit is you can build an lawyers' retainer fee as well, all included in your monthly charge.

Regarding not much explained up front, again, a $12 sale (month to month, can cancel at anytime) typically doesn't get the presentation of a major insurance plan, but the brochure does say it .   And if you're a business owner, it is especially handy.

your right about not expecting much for the $12.  But for the additional $3500 we should have been offered a better deal than what he would have got with a public defender.

Also - I had my policy going on a year & him about 9 months at the time (roughly).  I also failed to mention that I received a speeding ticket that they didn't help with at all (it was on the other side of the state & I don't remember their excuses).

If others have had a good experience - great.  Mine sucked & that is what I am offering.  You bring up valid points & arguments... so people reading his will need to weigh what I say w/what you say & what others say & after some reading of their own they can make a decision.

Peacemaker

Thanks for your comments.  Your stories have made realize something about the plan that was in front of my face, but never really hit me.

That is plan is amazing legal plan, (bang for the buck if you will), if you use it for anything other than criminal charges (police officer got your butt stuff).