• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Failing to See the Trees for the Forest

Started by AnarchoJesse, November 24, 2008, 04:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AnarchoJesse

There is no forest. There are only trees. The "forest" is a human fabrication, an abstraction that exists only in our minds. Abstractions serve a purpose in human communication, certainly. Let's not try to deny that. However, we must never forget what they really are and that they only exist in our minds.

If you take a particular cluster of trees and establish boundaries in your mind and decide to name it Fangorn Forest, then until you tell others about it and they agree with you, Fangorn Forest exists only in your mind. Even when you do tell people about it and perhaps draw some boundary lines on a map, some may agree, some may disagree about what the boundaries are, or may want to call it something else, or may not want to acknowledge it at all. Even then, Fangorn Forest exists in some minds but not others. At no point has reality ever actually been altered. The "forest" does not exist. The forest has only abstract existence and even then it exists only to the extent that various people consent to it and to the extent that they agree on its properties....

Read more here.

Digg here

Kat Kanning

I like the forest. 

:weed: :weed: :weed: :weed: :weed:

(Those were the only tree-like smileys I could find  :P)

K. Darien Freeheart

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on November 24, 2008, 04:08 PM NHFT
I like the forest. 

(Those were the only tree-like smileys I could find  :P)

Oh sure!  A little something Freudian going on here ;D