• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Burning Porcupine 2009

Started by Russell Kanning, December 01, 2008, 02:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

So we need a rack for encouraging Sam to play dodgeball and Friday to play volleyball  ;)

dalebert

Dodge ball seems safer to me than volleyball. I've injured my wrist pretty badly hitting the volleyball wrong and then exacerbated it by continuing to play. Now I don't play it anymore. It may have been a combination of carpal tunnel and then hitting a volleyball wrong, but in any case, I'm very protective of my wrists and hands now, particularly now that <french accent>I am an arteeeest!</french accent>

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on June 22, 2009, 07:43 AM NHFT
Quote from: John on June 21, 2009, 07:04 PM NHFT
Since "dodgeball" is reportedly banned from the government indoctrination centers we should give kids (old and young) a chance to play that here.

That's like saying, "Now that they banned whipping slaves, let's all beat each other."
I only ever played that barbaric game under duress--never again!
i played dodgeball every recess in 4th grade

Russell Kanning

limp-wristed west L.A. guy .... i have met a few of your type ;)

Sam  looks like some of the guys I used to bean on the dodgeball court ... maybe watching the movie will rid you of some demons

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: dalebert on June 22, 2009, 11:19 AM NHFT
Dodge ball seems safer to me than volleyball. I've injured my wrist pretty badly hitting the volleyball wrong and then exacerbated it by continuing to play. Now I don't play it anymore. It may have been a combination of carpal tunnel and then hitting a volleyball wrong, but in any case, I'm very protective of my wrists and hands now, particularly now that <french accent>I am an arteeeest!</french accent>

Those lace-up wrist stiffener things look cool.

Friday

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on June 22, 2009, 07:43 AM NHFT
Quote from: John on June 21, 2009, 07:04 PM NHFT
Since "dodgeball" is reportedly banned from the government indoctrination centers we should give kids (old and young) a chance to play that here.

That's like saying, "Now that they banned whipping slaves, let's all beat each other."
I only ever played that barbaric game under duress--never again!
I couldn't agree more!  I don't know which childhood memory is more disturbing: the stark-raving terror of being inside the circle and having a hard ball hurtled at me (and as a kid with a birthday in October* and a late bloomer, I was always one of the tiniest kids in my class) or the Pon Farr-ish bloodlust that would bubble up being outside the circle trying to nail some other poor brat.  Never again.

*footnote - what I meant by that is that I was usually a year younger than the rest of my class. I understand they're really strict these days with the Sept. 1 (or whatever) cut-off date for sticking your kid in school, but either they didn't use to enforce that rule or my mother was so desperate to get me off her hands she talked the penguins into bending it.  

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 22, 2009, 11:53 AM NHFT

i played dodgeball every recess in 4th grade

I'm open-minded.  I have nothing against dodgeball between consenting adul-- Well, parties.

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Friday on June 22, 2009, 05:25 PM NHFT
I was usually a year younger than the rest of my class. I understand they're really strict these days with the Sept. 1 (or whatever) cut-off date

Me they jumped ahead a grade, so I was always at least a year younger, and not infrequently, nearly two. 

Russell Kanning

i see a pattern developing here

at burning porcupine we will not make you play sports against the bigger kids ;)

John

There has also been talk of a photo contest.

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: John on June 22, 2009, 09:20 PM NHFT
please choose the categories, judges, time for us

Kat Kanning

John

Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 23, 2009, 06:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: John on June 22, 2009, 09:20 PM NHFT
please choose the categories, judges, time for us

Same picture can win several categories!

All pictures entered may be used for the Grafton Welcome Wagon Booth at various events . . . :  ;D
We might actually award recognition (unlike some other photo contests.)  ;D

Categories:
Best picture from Hoyt Farm
Best picture from anywhere in Grafton
Burning Porcupine Sports pictures
Burning Porcupine Nature pictures
Best picture with people in it
Best picture without people in it
I think we talked about other possibilities, but they are not comming to mind.
More may follow.
Maybe best picture from each event/each day?

REMINDER: July 1st - July 7th

Judges:
Maybe we can vote here?

Time:
Submit photos by August 7th.

AntonLee

I am so down with this idea.  Down meaning I like it.