• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What is our current status regarding live video ability?

Started by Dave Ridley, December 02, 2008, 12:40 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

generally live broacasting is overrated...

However there are three different ongoing situations that are already before us which might call for a clear need to broadcast video live, and which might result in the confiscation of the broadcasting camera:
  1) civil dis against the wildly inconsistent camera restrictions at keene district court
  2) civil dis against the draconian but long established camera restrictions at concord federal court
  3) civil dis against the not-fully-explored camera restrictions at manchester district court

Any of these scenarios could result in the seizure of cameras, thus the need for video broadcast ability.

I keep hearing various reports about what is and isn't possible for us in terms of live video uploads ...

via cell networks
via wireless networks
via transmission to nearby receiver.....

what do we have at our disposal at this time?
Is it in our hands or would we need to buy it?
would we need to put multiple pieces of equipment together or is there something off the shelf?
how expensive or disposable is it?
is it going to be necessary to have an internet connection on the phone or will a connection the cell tower do the trick?
is the equipment involved going to be cheap enough so that it will not financially aid the authorities who get it?

Qik seems to be the most straightforward solution

who is willing to do what in preparation for such a situation?

for my part, depending on the situation, I might be willing to be arrested.  that's what i can contribute.
I'm not willing to buy the equipment at this point or get deep into the technical issues.

if someone wants to hand me something, and it can do the job, and you are willing to see it confiscated, then maybe i can take it the rest of the way.   so far i have yet to hear of anyone among us who can qik or who has a practical live setup for this type of purpose.

jerry

Perhaps an Eye-fi card in a Canon video camera transmitting to a notebook computer in someone else's backpack.
http://alex.polvi.net/2008/09/11/eye-fi-video-support-using-chdk/

Dave Ridley

Quote from: jerry on December 02, 2008, 02:29 AM NHFT
Perhaps an Eye-fi card in a Canon video camera transmitting to a notebook computer in someone else's backpack.

if someone wants to set it up i'm intermittantly available to get arrested with it...assuming the circumstances are appropriate

Kat Kanning

Maybe we need some sort of forum tag:  "Hi my name is ___ and I'm available to be arrested today!"

Lloyd Danforth

FTL_Ian

Good news: streaming video website Stickam.com has launched a free streaming service from celphones.  Bad news is it's only two Nokia phones and they cost hundreds.  Not sure what the data charges are, either.

http://www.stickam.com/mobile.do

Coconut

Quote from: FreeKeene.com on December 02, 2008, 03:13 PM NHFT
Good news: streaming video website Stickam.com has launched a free streaming service from celphones.  Bad news is it's only two Nokia phones and they cost hundreds.  Not sure what the data charges are, either.

http://www.stickam.com/mobile.do

Who is posting as freekeene.com?

FTL_Ian

Mike Barskey

Quote from: jerry on December 02, 2008, 02:29 AM NHFT

I have an Eye-fi card and a Canon SD850 (which is a CHDK supported camera) that I'm willing to use or lend for this purpose. CHDK might be a bit over my head technically, though (haven't read the article yet) so I might need some help setting it up.

Coconut

FTL_Ian

Ryan McGuire

I doubt the eye-fi hack allows you to stream video, but rather that it will upload a video that has been saved. What that means is that you would have to constantly start and stop recording in order to get it to upload.

Just my intuition, I haven't used the thing.

Mike Barskey

FYI: I now have the ability to stream video live, so I will be using this at events in the future. You can view my Qik videos here, although I don't have any vids up yet.

TackleTheWorld

Sweet! 
In the event that some really good footage gets qikd, the authoritays may command it to disappear, and the qik people may remove it. You can subscribe to these qik channels for immediate download.  Then as soon as the video is on qik, it will be copied your computer as well.  Once hundreds of people have done this, there will be so many copies, the authoritays can't destroy them all. :)

Subscribe to Ian's, Antijingoist;s and Mike's channels.

A fair amount of people in Keene have qik, myself included. I also have a 4 gig removable micro sd card in my blackberry for any extra long videos.

It seems like any event in Keene worthy of video can and will be qikked.