• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Murphy's and tipping

Started by djbridgeland, December 03, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AntonLee

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 03, 2008, 02:22 PM NHFT
Vendetta is a bar.  You order at the bar, they bring it out to you.  There's a bartender and a cook, and sometimes just a bartender/cook, so no one should expect full service there.  That said, the food at Vendetta is quite good!

I know.  Taproom is a pub.  Bars (old school types like Vendetta) have almost no service.  Pubs have little service.  Restaurants may be full service.

Of course, Keith expects upscale dinning tip percentages at Taproom even though the places offers bad service (by upscale dinning standards).

Oh and LastLady, I tipped 30% because I got a half priced app at Taproom and it is customary to tip extra on discounted food :)  I would have just tipped 20% (because the service really was great, better than I've ever had at Taproom).

Puke

Looks to me like some of the wait staff know that tipping is mandatory and abuse it.

I hate wait staff. They are usually annoying or worthless. I just prefer to do stuff myself.

shyfrog

I have had 2 experiences in the last few weeks with one particular new waitress that has left me with a very bad opinion of her.

The first time was when she spilled a portion of the beer she was serving me onto and under my Mac Laptop.
Her reaction was, at first: "Oh...there are some napkins right there" as if she expected me to take care of it myself.
I think my visible reaction to that made her change her mind.

The following week, I sat in her section again and ordered. I was soon met by another waitress (who was very nice and accommodating) saying she was taking over for the first waitress and to let her know if we needed anything. Well...we waited for our food. Nothing came. Other people got theirs even though we had been there far longer. Finally I asked what was up. Our new waitress went in the kitchen to find that the original order was never turned in.

So this week. I moved into Elijah's section when I saw the original waitress was going to be serving me.

BTW...I always tip. 20%+  But if the service is bad, I go out of my way to make sure the offending party somehow reaps what they have sown ;)

lastlady

Ha! So interesting this topic is rearing it's ugly head again. You know I don't eat out that often anymore and when I do it is usually for business and someone else is paying or it's because I am being asked out and again someone else is paying. But! The last meal I had out came to $9.40, the service and meal was good. No complaints. Now what is a 15% tip on $9.40? Well it's $1.41 so I rounded up to $1.50. But that is still considered being cheap. WTF!

I have on one occasion eaten at an establishment that was a restaurant and bar. I paid the bill and the waitress came back with the change which was missing the coin part. When I let her know I was missing .75 cents she said "well, it's the policy to round up, we don't give back change." I actually thought she was lying and insisted I get my full change back. I later called her manager to report what I thought was deliberate theft and I was told that indeed that was their policy. Never ate there again.

All I can say is I just don't understand this type of shit at all.

Murphy's food is okay and their service goes from okay to shitty, but in full disclosure I've only eaten there about 4 times. The last time I was there it was nearly empty I think I was the only table, there were two of us. And the bar had about 2-3 people. I sat forever to get served. I mean forever.......

I wasn't in an hurry so it didn't really matter. I started to laugh at how ridiculous and pathetic it was. I thought maybe this is a New Hampshire thing. But I've been to about 10 other places and it didn't go down like that. At one point I got up and went to the bar to order a beer. The wiatress was just chatting away with someone. She didn't even notice or care, that I was her customer.

My new attitude, so I don't get pissed...

GO Ahead SAVE me money!!!!  ;D

doobie

Quote from: lastlady on December 03, 2008, 04:17 PM NHFT

I have on one occasion eaten at an establishment that was a restaurant and bar. I paid the bill and the waitress came back with the change which was missing the coin part. When I let her know I was missing .75 cents she said "well, it's the policy to round up, we don't give back change." I actually thought she was lying and insisted I get my full change back. I later called her manager to report what I thought was deliberate theft and I was told that indeed that was their policy. Never ate there again.

Next time go there and say, "It's my policy to round down, because I don't have change."

dalebert

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 03, 2008, 02:22 PM NHFT
Vendetta is a bar.  You order at the bar, they bring it out to you.  There's a bartender and a cook, and sometimes just a bartender/cook, so no one should expect full service there.  That said, the food at Vendetta is quite good!

50 cent wings!

Fluff and Stuff

The wings are only 58 cents are Taproom before 6pm :)

Oh, and last time I was at Vendetta I wasn't given my change back but I still tipped :)

Lloyd Danforth

It seems pretty clear that the safest thing to do is stay home, do your own cooking and pour your own drinks! ;D

AntonLee

Vendetta Vs. Murphy's Kombat

begin!

lastlady

Quote from: Seth on December 03, 2008, 08:52 PM NHFT
Heh, doobie, bringing a water to a person without food would be the very last thing on my list when I was a server.  I ranked it behind going and talking about the game in the break room.  ;)  It's called self-interest. 

This kind of thinking is why I wish there was no such thing as tipping. Perhaps I'm crazy but wouldn't it be nice if service was something that the server actually took pride in?

What a bunch of whores. Actually I find whores to have more integrity.

Friday

I tip well, and have repeatedly received poor service at Murphy's.  Plus, I go there relatively sporadically, so I can't imagine any of the waitstaff even knows whether or not I'm going to tip well as they're serving me. 

doobie

Quote from: Seth on December 03, 2008, 08:52 PM NHFT
Heh, doobie, bringing a water to a person without food would be the very last thing on my list when I was a server.  I ranked it behind going and talking about the game in the break room.  ;)  It's called self-interest. 

I've always had good service at Murphy's.  I mean, I usually have to specifically get a waitress' attention if I want something, but I get it right away.  Of course, I tip well too so that may be why. ;D

I had food earlier in the evening and had tipped really well; it was the first time she was there and I believe I tipped $2.50 on 7.50, I think I should have gotten a water at least the second time I asked and not having had to ask again.  When you regular a place, tipping nicely is not just for previous service, but on the expectation that I'll get good service the next time.  She's lost any semblance of me giving her a tip like that again.  And it makes me more likely to either go and just socialize or not go at all.

lastlady

Or how about a little honesty?

Customer "Hi, can I have a glass of water when you have a chance?"

Waiter "No, there's no more money to be made on you."

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Friday on December 03, 2008, 07:49 AM NHFT
Perhaps it's time to stop cutting Murphy's Taproom so much slack? 
we haven't gone to Murphy's in months
I can think of much better places to hold get-to-gethers in manchester.