• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Murphy's and tipping

Started by djbridgeland, December 03, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: lastlady on December 03, 2008, 04:17 PM NHFT
"well, it's the policy to round up, we don't give back change."

"Oh, that makes sense! Who wants to mess with coins? But since you're rounding up, you owe me an extra dollar with my change."

;)

doobie

Quote from: lastlady on December 03, 2008, 09:10 PM NHFT
Or how about a little honesty?

Customer "Hi, can I have a glass of water when you have a chance?"

Waiter "No, there's no more money to be made on you."

She made enough on me earlier in the night (I tipped around 2.50 on 7.50).  And there was plenty more to be made the next week if she had gotten me my water without me having to ask someone else to get me a water.  And I might have tipped her just for bringing me a water, but nope.  She gets no more tip money from me, because I had to ask twice and then have someone ask for a water.

error

I am reading these reports with interest.

Since this all started with me saying I'm going out for a beer, who's up for one, I am considering the idea of going somewhere else.

Ironically, none of the things mentioned has ever happened to me at Murphy's.

J’raxis 270145

I wonder how many times things like this happen at other restaurants, but they just don't get talked about as much because there isn't a group of people as devoted to using public ostracism as a form of justice as we are. In other words, are we holding Murphy's to a much higher standard than other customers do?

Myself, I've had slow service on a number of occasions, but only witnessed truly bad service on a couple of occasions. Most of the waitstaff I've dealt with have been acceptable. Elijah's definitely the best waiter there now. None of the other people I remember being really good, or really bad, work there anymore. I've not yet had trouble with tips or change-counting with any of them, but I never rely on the waitstaff to do it right anyway: I either give them exactly what I intend to pay, tip included, or tell them exactly how much change I want back, the difference being the tip.

K. Darien Freeheart

Did you talk to Keith about the incident? I know last time he requested to be made aware of any complaints. I mean, if you're going to air your complaint here (knowing the other thread was brought up) you might honor that request.

I'd consider what she did to be theft unless she seemed genuine that it was a MISTAKE. I'd certainly let a manager know if I'd been stolen from in their place of business and I'd certainly not go back unles I was satisfied with that result.

AntonLee

if you go back and tell the manager you might be doing him a favor by allowing them to make good for you.  If you want to really stick it to a place you'll save your breath for the 10-20 others you might tell about your horrible experience.  Fair?  Not at all. . . but completely within their rights.

I've NEVER been stolen from on a check, if this happened to me I wouldn't think twice about skipping that place.

lastlady

Quote from: error on December 04, 2008, 01:53 PM NHFT
I am reading these reports with interest.

Since this all started with me saying I'm going out for a beer, who's up for one, I am considering the idea of going somewhere else.

Ironically, none of the things mentioned has ever happened to me at Murphy's.

maybe that's because you have the magic touch!  ;)  ;D

doobie

Quote from: lastlady on December 03, 2008, 04:17 PM NHFT
I paid the bill and the waitress came back with the change which was missing the coin part. When I let her know I was missing .75 cents she said "well, it's the policy to round up, we don't give back change."

I'm usually rounding up my tips to the nearest dollar, so if my bill was 7.25 and I give them $10 and they came back with $2 change only, they WOULD have gotten $2 in tip, but now only get $1.75.  I don't carry change around, but I collect it.

I've never said anything about this to Keith, but maybe I'll give them another chance when I go back and next time I get "screwed" I'll bring it up with Keith.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 04, 2008, 02:12 PM NHFT
I wonder how many times things like this happen at other restaurants, but they just don't get talked about as much because there isn't a group of people as devoted to using public ostracism as a form of justice as we are. In other words, are we holding Murphy's to a much higher standard than other customers do?
I think many are wanting to hold his place to a higher standard ... and actually commenting since they know the owner ... and are interested in nonviolent market solutions.

Friday

I believe many of us are holding Murphy's Taproom to a *lower* standard.  I would have decided not to go back there long ago, based on the service, if not for the fact that Porcupine events often take place there.  If a close friend, or spouse, had actually been banned, or if I personally had ever been cheated on my change, I would never set foot in the place again.    Porcupines are a forgiving bunch, IMO.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: error on December 04, 2008, 01:53 PM NHFT

You and Friday are on to something.  How about we have Freestate Fridays at Friday's?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Friday on December 04, 2008, 07:01 PM NHFT

I believe many of us are holding Murphy's Taproom to a *lower* standard.  I would have decided not to go back there long ago, based on the service, if not for the fact that Porcupine events often take place there.  If a close friend, or spouse, had actually been banned, or if I personally had ever been cheated on my change, I would never set foot in the place again.    Porcupines are a forgiving bunch, IMO.

I think there's a little bit of both: On the one hand, every little problem with Murphy's gets aired publicly, which is rare—most people don't bother complaining about bad business anymore, they just stop going to such places (or worse, put up with it). On the other hand, though, since Keith is a freestater, everyone, including myself, has a lot more tolerance for problems at Murphy's than we would dealing with other places.

I dunno... More quick to point out problems, but more quick to forgive them, too?

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on December 04, 2008, 08:00 PM NHFT
You and Friday are on to something.  How about we have Freestate Fridays at Friday's?

Better still, does New Hampshire have Ruby Tuesday's franchises?

Giggan

My friends and I are all cheap bastards and go to Applebees after 9 or 10 and get half prices appetizers. Wings for 4 bucks, what could be better? Sure, the food is garbage, but what a deal.

And I think they have like 1.99 beers or some deal, but the government doesn't let people like me do business with businesses regarding alcohol so I'm not sure.

AntonLee

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1GGLS_enUS291US303&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&um=1&q=ruby+tuesday,+nh&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

Ruby Tuesday? - Write a review
327 Loudon Rd, Concord, NH? - (603) 223-2505?

1500 S Willow St, Manchester, NH? - (603) 669-8342?

275 Amherst St, Nashua, NH? - (603) 882-0099?
?
99 Rockingham Park Blvd # 1105, Salem, NH? - (603) 870-9560?

1574 Woodbury Ave, Portsmouth, NH? - (603) 559-9740?
?
Ruby Tuesday?  (Unverified listing) - Write a review
327 Hopkinton Road, Concord, NH? - (603) 223-2505?
?