• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Murphy's and tipping

Started by djbridgeland, December 03, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodinia

I honestly can't imagine getting a pleasant response from any business owner where you walk in, take up space, spend nothing and make customers uncomfortable. Loitering on private property is just annoying.

Me either. Not only can I not imagine getting a pleasant response from the owner, who would expect it?  It's downright inconsiderate on the part of the individual to expect to enter an establishment and not spend any money AND assume your presence is appreciated. For fuck's sake, at least buy a soft drink!!
You can hang out at your house and your friends houses free of charge. Business is business. That said, bad business is not worth spending money on.

dalebert

Border's would be a sad replacement for TT which is primarily a social event; not a meeting per se. Border's isn't necessarily bad for meeting to make plans for something though. You need a place where people can eat, drink (especially drink), and be merry.

Rodinia

Beer is an absolute...no, wait, GOOD beer is an absolute necessity for any good meeting. At La Festa on Wednesday's they've got pizza by the slice for a couple bucks and deliciously good beer on tap. 22oz tall frosty mugs for 4.50 a glass. Rogue yellowsnow IPA is the current delight I'm enjoying.

lastlady

Unless so many are unhappy, just keep going to Murphy's Taproom on Tuesdays. Unless they don't want you there? Borders wouldn't be right, not the right mood, but I disagree they have big comfy chairs for sitting and reading, one doesn't always have to spend money to enjoy Borders.

Shit happens in every restaurant, servers all over the country can be horrible at their job.

Murphy's can't really be all that different. I do like Murphy's, just get shitty service sometimes, but then again that is just the American way.  ;)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on December 05, 2008, 09:36 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jon Maltz on December 05, 2008, 09:22 AM NHFT
We've never had a problem with Elijah.  Thus, we make a point of sitting in his section.

I can't recall any problems with him either. Unfortunately, I don't seem to get him very often. Maybe I should make a point to ask him which are his tables next time. Last time I sat where my computer cord could reach the socket since my battery is shot.

He'd been moved from the Tuesday shift for a while, but was back on it as of a couple weeks ago.

He usually has the round table in the corner.

Coconut

Quote from: Rodinia on December 05, 2008, 02:30 PM NHFT

I honestly can't imagine getting a pleasant response from any business owner where you walk in, take up space, spend nothing and make customers uncomfortable. Loitering on private property is just annoying.

Me either. Not only can I not imagine getting a pleasant response from the owner, who would expect it?  It's downright inconsiderate on the part of the individual to expect to enter an establishment and not spend any money AND assume your presence is appreciated.

I knew someone that worked at Borders. Their policy is very lenient on "customers" that don't spend money. People are pretty much welcome to come in, read all day for free inside, and leave if they want.

Rodinia

I would argue that that is different situation than an individual who enters a non-franchise restaurant, takes a spot and doesn't patronize the joint. Customer turnover is an important consideration to a restaurant.
When I go to a book store to buy a book, I don't sit inside and read it.

Lloyd Danforth

Years ago book stores were a lot smaller and the owners would sometimes watch you like a Hawk. When I went into my first Barnes & Noble and saw the chairs and tables, and people sitting around reading I thought it was great.
Some people carry the concept to extremes. I was at the register once when a woman walked up with her finger in a book she carried, marking the page and asked if they had a copier ;D

KBCraig

When bookstores added overstuffed chairs and coffee shops, they did so to invite people to sit and read, or otherwise enjoy themselves.

Borders, B&N, and Books-A-Million all openly invite people to come in, sit, meet, read, use the free wifi, etc. They hope you'll buy something while you're there, whether it's a book or a grande latte, but they don't kick out people who don't (unless they're annoying other customers).

Lloyd Danforth

If there is a coffee shop I will usually get some coffee and some woodworking magazines, look thru the magazines, and leave buying one of the mags and a paperback mystery or once or twice  a year a hardcover.

Rearden

Quote from: djbridgeland on December 03, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT
I just wanted everyone to know what happened to me at Murphy's tonight. I do not want to start another controversy about tipping all over again, just about the practice that happened to me.  I had a tab of $4 something for 2 beers.  I gave the waitress a $20, and she gave me back $14 change and walked away.  Then she comes back and asks me if she did something wrong because I didn't tip her, and about how she only makes $3.65 a hour. I said excuse me but you gave me $14 change, which means you got your tip in the payment. Now I do not have a problem tipping, however when you didn't give all my change back, so I considered that your tip.
What do you guys think? I think that is kind of a questionable practice to not give back all of ones change, without the customer acknowledging keep the change. What really irks me is that this practice seems to vary amongst all the wait staff there.  Some will give me back all of my change, while others will not.     

If you know who 1) asked why you didn't tip, or 2) didn't give you back full change, please let me know and I will ensure she no longer works for me.  I do not tolerate this behavior from any staff member.  I've fired employees for it in the past, and I'll do it again.  Please tell me who it was.

Rearden

Quote from: Friday on December 03, 2008, 07:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: djbridgeland on December 03, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT
What do you guys think?  
I think you were completely in the right.  That's quite obnoxious of a waiter to just pocket some of your change without your consent. 

I agree.  I need to know who it is to fix the issue.  I've made it extremely clear to all of them that doing this means their job.  If it happens to you, please let me know.
I was thinking about Murphy's Taproom last night ...

I get a lot of compliments on the service here, and very few complaints.  I wish someone would actually complain to me about service if there was an issue, instead of posting about it online.  I'm not hard to find.  I'm virtually always here, and most of you have my email address.

And how many people have now been banned from the place; honestly, I've lost count.

Exactly one.  I'm pretty sure you can count to one, Sandy.

Rearden

Quote from: AntonLee on December 03, 2008, 02:16 PM NHFTI don't have anything against murphy's, but even the owner should know that these testimonials do not help him any.  I have heard grumblings that Free Staters should be thankful for such a meetup place and pay extra well because of it.  Because some people decide to drink and converse at your establishment??  I think I'd be happy with just having some paying customers, some that are willing to shell out the type of money asked for average food.  Again, not trying to be a dick, but I fancy myself a critic on restaurants.

I've never every said anything remotely like this.  Ever.  On the contrary, I've repeatedly thanked people online and offline for their patronage. 

Rearden

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on December 03, 2008, 02:33 PM NHFT

Of course, Keith expects upscale dinning tip percentages at Taproom even though the places offers bad service (by upscale dinning standards).

I expect customers to leave an appropriate tip.  15-20% for quality service isn't upscale, it's the industry standard.  If the service is bad, by all means leave no tip.  I've only ever said anything to one guy, because it was his policy to never ever tip.  I find it acceptable for someone to come into my business ten times, receive quality service every time, and never, ever tip.  But I will never blame anyone for not tipping for bad service.

ColdSoul

Quote from: Rearden on December 12, 2008, 11:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: AntonLee on December 03, 2008, 02:16 PM NHFTI don't have anything against murphy's, but even the owner should know that these testimonials do not help him any.  I have heard grumblings that Free Staters should be thankful for such a meetup place and pay extra well because of it.  Because some people decide to drink and converse at your establishment??  I think I'd be happy with just having some paying customers, some that are willing to shell out the type of money asked for average food.  Again, not trying to be a dick, but I fancy myself a critic on restaurants.

I've never every said anything remotely like this.  Ever.  On the contrary, I've repeatedly thanked people online and offline for their patronage. 

I didn't take it that Anton was saying you were grumbling, I took it that some FSP members (which I have seen) have basically said well were lucky to have place to meet up. I think that is what Anton was referring to but I can't speak for him, but I just know thats how *I* took it.