• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Murphy's and tipping

Started by djbridgeland, December 03, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Giggan

Quote from: Rearden on December 13, 2008, 12:01 AM NHFT
I expect customers to leave an appropriate tip.  15-20% for quality service isn't upscale, it's the industry standard.  If the service is bad, by all means leave no tip.  I've only ever said anything to one guy, because it was his policy to never ever tip.  I find it acceptable for someone to come into my business ten times, receive quality service every time, and never, ever tip.  But I will never blame anyone for not tipping for bad service.

emphasis added

You mean 'unacceptable', right?

Rearden

Hubbard

Quote from: AntonLee on December 03, 2008, 02:16 PM NHFT
I can't even believe that more than one person has been stiffed of their correct change.  I've never been stiffed of change at any restaurant I've been to and I would never return to a place that has stiffed me.

And for a waitress to bring up how much she makes in that setting to a person she's supposed to be serving is appalling.  What has happened to the service industry?  $3.65?  Wendy's is hiring for $8. . .but if I were manager I would never hire someone that would speak to a customer about how much money they make.

I like the suggestion of Vendetta, I got my food brought out, I brought the plate back.  I paid a generous tip for the mere fact that the food was fantastic, above and beyond the price I paid for it.  The man behind the bar was cheerful and never said a bad word about my lack of imbibing alcohol.  I've gone to places that have made it a bit of an embarrassing situation trying to get the bartender to understand that I don't drink anymore, and I don't feel the need to let him know why. 

I don't have anything against murphy's, but even the owner should know that these testimonials do not help him any.  I have heard grumblings that Free Staters should be thankful for such a meetup place and pay extra well because of it.  Because some people decide to drink and converse at your establishment??  I think I'd be happy with just having some paying customers, some that are willing to shell out the type of money asked for average food.  Again, not trying to be a dick, but I fancy myself a critic on restaurants.

The first time I heard a place I frequent wasn't appreciative of my business and was bitching about it - I'm done with them. Can't find a new place yet guys?

Rearden

Quote from: Hubbard on December 13, 2008, 06:00 PM NHFT
The first time I heard a place I frequent wasn't appreciative of my business and was bitching about it - I'm done with them. Can't find a new place yet guys?

What the hell are you talking about? 

I have never "bitched" about anyone's business, and have frequently both online and offline expressed immense gratitude for the business my customers give me.  Your statement is based on a lie.

It is that gratitude, as well as my support for small government causes, that leads me to frequently do things that no other business would do.  Just this afternoon, I made my back room available for an NHLA meeting, with absolutely no charge.  Normally the heat is off back there during the day - it costs a lot to use these big commercial HVAC units, and I try to save money where I can.  Turning on the heat back there for meetings like these essentially guarantee I'll lose money, but I do it because I support the NHLA's efforts and I try to be as accommodating as possible to my customers. 

Frankly, I'm getting a little sick of the outright lies and accusations being thrown around on this board.  I've only banned one person, nearly a year ago, but Sandy claims she's lost count.  Hubbard insists that I "bitch" about receiving business, when I can point to posts in which I express gratitude.  Barsky claims that my server stole from him, and only backed off that statement when I posted proof to the contrary in the form of a signed credit card slip.  A few people said they received bad service, but absolutely no one has complained to me about it in person or via email. 

Instead, they choose to come here and post these things on a forum, without giving me the opportunity to correct any problems.  In so doing, they cause harm to my business.  This is the business that closed to the public on a Red Sox playoff night so that Sandy could hold a fundraiser for the LPNH, that offered free meeting space for Bob Barr and Ron Paul and the NHLA, that essentially donates food and beverage to help pro-liberty candidates raise money for their campaigns.  We provide quality food and beverages at the very best prices in town.  And I'm the kind of owner who addresses every single problem brought to my attention. 

Every single one.  No one can ever claim they talked to me about a problem without me bending over backwards to fix it.

But rather than give me the opportunity a few people decide to come here and bash me and my business.  And I take it personally because I've poured my life and soul into this enterprise.  I'm here over 100 hours a week to ensure it runs smoothly. 

Here's the deal: come in, and I'll thank you for your business.  If there's any problem, from the service to the food to the atmosphere, let me know and I will address it post-haste. 

Or don't come in.  That's always your right and choice as a consumer.  But coming in time and time again, and then posting lies and half-truths on forums such as this one instead of giving me the chance to fix any problems - real or imagined (Barsky, Sandy, Hubbard, et al) - that's simply reprehensible. 

And I cannot respect people who post these sorts of lies publicly.  They amount to libel, and they cause very real damage to a business and a group of people that actively supports the very precepts in which members of this board are supposed to believe. 

Hubbard

Quote from: Rearden on December 13, 2008, 07:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: Hubbard on December 13, 2008, 06:00 PM NHFT

What the hell are you talking about? 

I have never "bitched" about anyone's business, and have frequently both online and offline expressed immense gratitude for the business my customers give me.  Your statement is based on a lie.

It is that gratitude, as well as my support for small government causes, that leads me to frequently do things that no other business would do.  Just this afternoon, I made my back room available for an NHLA meeting, with absolutely no charge.  Normally the heat is off back there during the day - it costs a lot to use these big commercial HVAC units, and I try to save money where I can.  Turning on the heat back there for meetings like these essentially guarantee I'll lose money, but I do it because I support the NHLA's efforts and I try to be as accommodating as possible to my customers. 

Frankly, I'm getting a little sick of the outright lies and accusations being thrown around on this board.  I've only banned one person, nearly a year ago, but Sandy claims she's lost count.  Hubbard insists that I "bitch" about receiving business, when I can point to posts in which I express gratitude.  Barsky claims that my server stole from him, and only backed off that statement when I posted proof to the contrary in the form of a signed credit card slip.  A few people said they received bad service, but absolutely no one has complained to me about it in person or via email. 

Instead, they choose to come here and post these things on a forum, without giving me the opportunity to correct any problems.  In so doing, they cause harm to my business.  This is the business that closed to the public on a Red Sox playoff night so that Sandy could hold a fundraiser for the LPNH, that offered free meeting space for Bob Barr and Ron Paul and the NHLA, that essentially donates food and beverage to help pro-liberty candidates raise money for their campaigns.  We provide quality food and beverages at the very best prices in town.  And I'm the kind of owner who addresses every single problem brought to my attention. 

Every single one.  No one can ever claim they talked to me about a problem without me bending over backwards to fix it.

But rather than give me the opportunity a few people decide to come here and bash me and my business.  And I take it personally because I've poured my life and soul into this enterprise.  I'm here over 100 hours a week to ensure it runs smoothly. 

Here's the deal: come in, and I'll thank you for your business.  If there's any problem, from the service to the food to the atmosphere, let me know and I will address it post-haste. 

Or don't come in.  That's always your right and choice as a consumer.  But coming in time and time again, and then posting lies and half-truths on forums such as this one instead of giving me the chance to fix any problems - real or imagined (Barsky, Sandy, Hubbard, et al) - that's simply reprehensible. 

And I cannot respect people who post these sorts of lies publicly.  They amount to libel, and they cause very real damage to a business and a group of people that actively supports the very precepts in which members of this board are supposed to believe. 

My statement was based on what  I was reading here. And was a general statement that you probably agree with. If the above facts aren't facts at all I apologize. I've never been to, I'm assuming, your place.

Rearden

Hubbard,

I agree that the owner of a business who doesn't appreciate his customers doesn't deserve patronage. 

I'm sorry if my statement seemed a bit high-strung, but it's hard to not take this personally.  Those same posts that led you to believe that I didn't appreciate my customers are the same posts that led to me being unhappy and more than a little worked up.  They were wrong, and if you ever come to my business - and I hope you do - you will see that with your own eyes.

Thanks.

Hubbard

Rearden, I plan to. Just haven't had the opportunity.

MengerFan

I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon / evening at Murphy's two weeks ago. I found it to be quite delightful. Had a comfy chair by the fire as well as power and internet for my computer. Keith was entirely accommodating even though no one had let him know that 60 extra people would be descending upon his establishment on an otherwise packed night. The service was prompt, considering people were packed in like sardines. They also have enough of a beer selection that even the more discriminate consumer should be able to find one or two flavors to their liking. Now, if only they would get Konkord Kombat Ale on tap...