• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Police visit

Started by Kat Kanning, December 03, 2008, 08:58 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

William

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on December 04, 2008, 05:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 04, 2008, 12:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on December 03, 2008, 07:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: Libertine on December 03, 2008, 06:58 PM NHFT
I asked him "Why?"
A more polite question: "Are you investigating a crime? and if so, how can I help you?"
I don't help cops investigate "crimes".

That's understandable. But what about real crimes. Like robbing the Grafton Store?

The store didn't get robbed. Nothing was taken. As it turns out, there was no victim and therefore, no crime.

Kat Kanning

They told me they hadn't been robbed before.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: William on December 05, 2008, 12:53 PM NHFT
The store didn't get robbed. Nothing was taken. As it turns out, there was no victim and therefore, no crime.

Huh?  Threatening, especially with a weapon, creates a victim.

FTL_Ian

Presuming this is the truth, there was clearly a crime committed:

Quotethe man entered the store carrying a rifle, immediately demanded money from the clerk and tried unsuccessfully to pull the cash register off the counter.

(emphasis added)

Just because he got no money, doesn't mean there was no victim.

Russell Kanning

they didn't seem victimized

Kat Kanning

One of the clerks was scared.  The one who actually had the rifle pointed at her was cool as a cucumber :)

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: William on December 05, 2008, 12:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on December 04, 2008, 05:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 04, 2008, 12:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on December 03, 2008, 07:54 PM NHFT
Quote from: Libertine on December 03, 2008, 06:58 PM NHFT
I asked him "Why?"
A more polite question: "Are you investigating a crime? and if so, how can I help you?"
I don't help cops investigate "crimes".

That's understandable. But what about real crimes. Like robbing the Grafton Store?

That a threat of aggression was made makes it a crime to me—now perhaps little to no restitution would be in order, since it's difficult to impossible to quantify a "loss" suffered by the victims of the threats, but it was certainly a situation in which deadly self-defensive force was warranted.

But none of this changes the fact that handing the criminal over to the bigger gang of criminals to be put in a cage isn't a proper solution.

lastlady

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 05, 2008, 04:57 PM NHFT
But none of this changes the fact that handing the criminal over to the bigger gang of criminals to be put in a cage isn't a proper solution.

Agreed!

You know when I was 11 my family became homeless and to make a long story short, I realized there were a lot of good people out there doing really fucked up things because of their circumstances. I'm not making any excuses for people who harm others. But! If some individuals got a little help from their neighbors and someone showed that they gave a fuck we could really reduce "crime".

With that said I am a firm 2nd amendment supporter and would not think twice protecting my family and friends with lethal self defense.

But I just think a little love and compassion can go a long way.

burt43

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 05, 2008, 01:25 PM NHFT
One of the clerks was scared.  The one who actually had the rifle pointed at her was cool as a cucumber :)

You never can tell.  I was once in a scary situation and felt just fine--until about twenty-four hours later, when my mind finally grasped what had happened.

lastlady

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on December 05, 2008, 06:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 05, 2008, 01:25 PM NHFT

You never can tell.  I was once in a scary situation and felt just fine--until about twenty-four hours later, when my mind finally grasped what had happened.

It's very true. People handle stress and fear differently. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is very real and can be a lengthy thing to recover from, especially if you come from a situation with specific factors.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 05, 2008, 04:57 PM NHFT...but it was certainly a situation in which deadly self-defensive force was warranted.
so ... would you have killed him?

anthonybpugh

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 06, 2008, 02:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 05, 2008, 04:57 PM NHFT...but it was certainly a situation in which deadly self-defensive force was warranted.

Yes

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 06, 2008, 02:16 AM NHFT

Ayup. Assuming this is actually what happened:—

QuotePolice said the man entered the store carrying a rifle, immediately demanded money from the clerk and tried unsuccessfully to pull the cash register off the counter.

I tend to be very forgiving of people doing stupid or irresponsible stuff, even committing acts of aggression that don't involve putting someone's life or property at immediate, violent risk. This situation was clearly the latter.

Kat Kanning

They told me at the store that he actually pointed the rifle at the clerks.