• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Protest Re Police Misconduct

Started by smiley, December 04, 2008, 02:14 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

smiley

CALL TO ACTION
        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Seacoast Liberty Police Anti-Corruption Campaign
December 4, 2008

Seacoast Liberty Police Anti-Corruption Campaign (abbreviated "SEAL PAC") will be holding a demonstration this Saturday, December 6, 2008, from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M., at the corner of Central Ave. and First St. in downtown Dover, NH.(*) This event is aimed at raising awareness about abuses of police power in Dover, and protesting last week's arrest of SEAL PAC's David Montenegro.

SEAL PAC (see enclosed information sheet) was formed in July of 2008 to raise public awareness about, and work to eliminate, abuses of police power. Over the past nine months, Mr. Montenegro has been collecting testimonials from people claiming to have suffered misconduct by members of the Dover police department.

Mr. Montenegro was arrested last Saturday, November 29, 2008, while hosting an information table on the topic in downtown Dover. Despite having a permit to hold the event, the Dover police called this "disorderly conduct," arrested Mr. Montenegro, and removed SEAL PAC's display from the sidewalk.

Come, help spread the word about police misconduct, and protest this illegal arrest. Free speech is not a crime!

Note: This is intended to be a peaceful, legal, demonstration, and a permit has been obtained for this event. Visitors are welcome to make their own signs, or other items which may be held or worn. If you wish to obstruct traffic or throw firecrackers at the mounted police horses, please just stay home.

Members of the press are welcome to attend. More information about SEAL PAC, including all of SEAL PAC's press releases, can be found on the organization's website: http://tinyurl.com/sealpac (**)

* In case of rain or snow, the event will be held at the same time on the following day.
** Also online at http://peapod.podzone.net:1234/hive/sealpac/.

Dave Ridley

I got this in my email box.  would be great if someone can videotape, not sure if i will be there
the guy says he was arrested the other day while demonstrationg against cop behavior...WITH a permit

---

CALL TO ACTION
                        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 4, 2008

Seacoast Liberty Police Anti-Corruption Campaign (abbreviated "SEAL
   PAC") will be holding a demonstration this Saturday, December 6,
   2008, from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M., at the corner of Central Ave.
   and First St. in downtown Dover, NH.(*) This event is aimed at raising
   awareness about abuses of police power in Dover, and protesting last
   week's arrest of SEAL PAC's David Montenegro.

SEAL PAC (see enclosed information sheet) was formed in July of 2008
   to raise public awareness about, and work to eliminate, abuses of
   police power. Over the past nine months, Mr. Montenegro has been
   collecting testimonials from people claiming to have suffered
   misconduct by members of the Dover police department.

Mr. Montenegro was arrested last Saturday, November 29, 2008, while
   hosting an information table on the topic in downtown Dover. Despite
   having a permit to hold the event, the Dover police called this
   "disorderly conduct," arrested Mr. Montenegro, and removed SEAL PAC's
   display from the sidewalk.

Come, help spread the word about police misconduct, and protest this
   illegal arrest. Free speech is not a crime!

Note: This is intended to be a peaceful, legal, demonstration, and a
   permit has been obtained for this event. Visitors are welcome to make
   their own signs, or other items which may be held or worn. If you wish
   to obstruct traffic or throw firecrackers at the mounted police
   horses, please just stay home.

Members of the press are welcome to attend. More information about
   SEAL PAC, including all of SEAL PAC's press releases, can be found on
   the organization's website: http://tinyurl.com/sealpac (**)

* In case of rain or snow, the event will be held at the same time on
   the following day.
   ** Also online at http://peapod.podzone.net:1234/hive/sealpac/.

Who we are...

The Seacoast Liberty Police Anti-corruption Campaign (SEAL PAC) is a
   group of civil rights activists working to eliminate abuses of police
   power in the Seacoast and, in particular, within the city of Dover.

SEAL PAC aims to document and publicize corrupt practices in law
   enforcement, to negotiate with city officials to stop abusive
   practices, and to seek compensation for victims of police misconduct.

SEAL PAC provides a safe place for victims of police misconduct to
   connect with fellow victims, and to learn about options available to
   them. Through SEAL PAC and its legal team, citizens will have the
   collective bargaining power needed to take back their civil rights
   and--as the SEAL PAC slogan goes--"bring justice back to law
   enforcement."

For more information about SEAL PAC, what you can do to help, or how
   you can get help with your case, contact David Montenegro, SEAL PAC
   coordinator, at (516) 345-1072, or any of the addresses below:

P.O. Box 763
   Farmington, NH 03835
   http://tinyurl.com/sealpac
   sealpac@zenzebra.mv.com

dalebert

This conflicts with Mark's wood-chopping party. What to do?!

margomaps

You probably realize this is the same guy who was arrested by the Dover PD earlier this year for jaywalking.  Well, I think he was actually charged with providing false information (something like refusing to give his name when the officer accosted him for jaywalking, so it's more like providing no information...but you get the idea), and resisting arrest (he says that he did not resist the arrest, though he did apparently suffer a sprained wrist in the incident).

Although I cannot personally attest to what happened in either the original arrest or the latest arrest ("disorderly conduct" for attempting to demonstrate with a permit!!), on the surface it does look the he is being targeted/harassed by the Dover PD for attempting to exercise his rights to free speech.  In fact he has already contacted the ACLU about the most recent arrest, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a civil rights lawsuit against the Dover PD.

dalebert

I would really like to get a carpool from Keene going for this. I hate to stand Mark up but this seems important to me.

margomaps

Quote from: dalebert on December 04, 2008, 11:13 AM NHFT
I would really like to get a carpool from Keene going for this. I hate to stand Mark up but this seems important to me.

It does seem like a worthy cause to me as well, and I hope to be there.  Here's something to be consider though: if the Dover PD arrested David capriciously for reasons as trivial as jaywalking and peaceably attempting to demonstrate, I'd say there's a greater than usual chance that someone will get arrested/harassed if they join his demonstration on Saturday.  You know, for disturbing the peace (permit be damned, it didn't prevent them from arresting him this last time), unlawful gathering, obstructing traffic, etc., etc.

I don't want to discourage anyone from supporting David -- quite the opposite.  But if his account of what has happened is true (and I don't know of any reason not to believe him), I think there's good reason to be extremely wary of the Dover PD...especially if you're speaking out against that organization.

dalebert

True, but that's why we need numbers and to make this as public as possible. Numbers and publicity are our greatest defense as long as we have truth on our side. Of course, we also need courage, because you have a point.

FTL_Ian

I have a call in to David requesting an interview.  Does this guy have connections with the Seacoast porcs?

margomaps

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 04, 2008, 11:50 AM NHFT
I have a call in to David requesting an interview.  Does this guy have connections with the Seacoast porcs?

Yeah, he regularly attends the Wednesday night meetup in Dover.

smiley

Quote from: dalebert on December 04, 2008, 11:42 AM NHFT
True, but that's why we need numbers and to make this as public as possible. Numbers and publicity are our greatest defense as long as we have truth on our side. Of course, we also need courage, because you have a point.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  That's exactly the approach I'm taking with this campaign.

Numbers, publicity, and truth are our shields, spears, and boots.

smiley

SEAL PAC Demonstration in Downtown Dover
David Montenegro
December 6, 2008

Supporters of the Seacoast Liberty Police Anti-Corruption Campaign (SEAL PAC) gathered in downtown Dover, today, to protest last week's arrest of David Montenegro, and raise awareness about other abuses of police power in Dover. Six of us braved the December chill to gather on the corner of First St. and Central Ave., from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. today.

During this two-hour period, we demonstrated our rights to free speech and peaceful assembly, and received four new complaints alleging misconduct on the part of Dover police. These four complaints come in addition to about two dozen already received, and are typical for a two-hour event. On average, we receive about three complaints for every hour spent talking with the public.

This was also the first of our exhibits not to be visited by local law enforcement. Officers from the Dover police department have shown up at all of SEAL PAC's prior displays; however, not a single uniformed officer appeared at today's event. Today, we demonstrated very clearly that we will not be intimidated or illegally censored.

I, personally, am glad that so many people decided to speak out about this problem. It takes no small amount of bravery to critique the police in a public setting. My thanks go to everyone who came out today for the courage and principle they demonstrated.

SEAL PAC's next gathering will be on Saturday, December 13, 2008, at the same time and in the same location. In case of rain or snow, the event will be held at the same time on the following day. More information about SEAL PAC, including all of our press releases, can be found on the SEAL PAC website: http://tinyurl.com/sealpac.*

The photograph enclosed is Copyright © 2008 by David Montenegro; it is released to all press under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

* Also online at http://peapod.podzone.net:1234/hive/sealpac/.

Fluff and Stuff

Wow, fantastic news and great picture.  I was also in Dover on Sat but left a little before 11am :)