• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Christian Fundy Quotes

Started by Puke, December 04, 2008, 08:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

Quotehttp://www.fstdt.com/fundies/top100.aspx?archive=1

Damned hilarious!

I love this one.
Quote[on the subject of a Bible printing company]

Yes, that is a great company. I bought one of their large print version (old eyes... what can I say?).

The only thing I don't like about them is they sell foreign language versions of the KJB. I don't think that's right. We know the only true translation is the 1600's version in English.

It's too risky for anybody to translate that into other languages. Mistakes can creep in... and that can lead to heresy. True Christians should only read English.
leyenda , KJB only [Comments (271)] [2007-Aug-06]

Submitted by Traitor1
:biglaugh:

Puke

Might as well point to the home page.

www.fstdt.com
Fundies Say the Darndest Things

Tom Sawyer

Jesus spoke freakin' Aramaic.

No thee or thou for him.

J’raxis 270145

I'm not one to usually defend fundamentalists, but the quote isn't particularly ignorant if you understand the background.

There's a faction of fundamentalists that believe that the King James translation was "divinely" inspired, so it's as "perfect" as the original Hebrew and Greek writing. All he's saying is that the King James translation of the Bible shouldn't be further translated into another language, because such translation would no doubt not have the same divine inspiration behind it.

Why the King James version is considered to be as it is I have no idea.

Jim Johnson

Here's my "divinely" inspired translation that should not be further translated, "Fuck You".    :PatK:

Sam A. Robrin

Reminds me of the story of the Tower of Bible . . .

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on December 04, 2008, 09:12 PM NHFT

Is that one where they kept piling bible on top of bible and scripture on top of scripture so that they could build a tower to reach God and then the pile fell over and killed everyone?

That's a lot like congress.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on December 04, 2008, 08:57 PM NHFT
Here's my "divinely" inspired translation that should not be further translated, "Fuck You".    :PatK:

Damn, there needs to be an actual :PatK: smiley.

;D 8)

Sam A. Robrin

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on December 04, 2008, 09:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: Sam A. Robrin on December 04, 2008, 09:12 PM NHFT

Is that one where they kept piling bible on top of bible and scripture on top of scripture so that they could build a tower to reach God and then the pile fell over and killed everyone?

No, it's the one where there were so many translations of translations that no one had the faintest idea of what was being said . . .

Caleb

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 04, 2008, 08:28 PM NHFT
There's a faction of fundamentalists that believe that the King James translation was divinely inspired, so it's as perfect as the original Hebrew and Greek writing. All He's saying is that the King James translation of the Bible shouldn't be further translated into another language, because such translation would no doubt not have the same divine inspiration behind it.

Hmmm. I've never met any fundies like that.  There's a lot of fundamentalists who like the King James Version, but not because it is supposed to be divinely inspired. The more modern translations are based on Hebrew and Greek texts that have been revised to incorporate new archaeological findings. (One of the more famous such texts is the Westcott and Hort Greek text.) The problem is that some of the more popular verses got scrubbed from the text, and the fundies think it is a Satanic conspiracy to destroy Christianity from within. I've even heard fundies accuse Westcott and Hort of being "practicing Satanists".

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Caleb on December 04, 2008, 10:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on December 04, 2008, 08:28 PM NHFT
There's a faction of fundamentalists that believe that the King James translation was divinely inspired, so it's as perfect as the original Hebrew and Greek writing. All He's saying is that the King James translation of the Bible shouldn't be further translated into another language, because such translation would no doubt not have the same divine inspiration behind it.

Hmmm. I've never met any fundies like that.  There's a lot of fundamentalists who like the King James Version, but not because it is supposed to be divinely inspired. The more modern translations are based on Hebrew and Greek texts that have been revised to incorporate new archaeological findings. (One of the more famous such texts is the Westcott and Hort Greek text.) The problem is that some of the more popular verses got scrubbed from the text, and the fundies think it is a Satanic conspiracy to destroy Christianity from within. I've even heard fundies accuse Westcott and Hort of being "practicing Satanists".

I've never met any fundamentalists like that, but apparently they exist:—

QuoteKing James Only movement

• "The Inspired KJV Group" - Individuals in this group believe that the KJV itself was divinely inspired. They see the translation to be preserved by God and as accurate as the original Greek and Hebrew Manuscripts found in its underlying texts. Sometimes this group will even exclude foreign versions based on the same manuscripts claiming the KJV to be the only Bible.

• "The KJV As New Revelation" - This group of individuals would believe that the KJV is a "new revelation" from God, and can and should be the standard from which all other translations originate. Adherents to this belief may also believe that the original-language Hebrew and Greek can be corrected by the KJV. This view is often called "Ruckmanism" after Peter Ruckman, a staunch KJV supporter.

Caleb

I don't know if you're familiar with Chick publications, but they are the producers of those funny cartoon tracts that Christian fundamentalists leave all over the place. They are usually good for a laugh. Anyway, they produced a little pamphlet attacking Westcott and Hort. The thing about Westcott and Hort is that, so far as I know, not a single translation is actually based on their text. But it is sort of the standard bearer for the Critical Textual tradition. The KJV'ers only like the Textus Receptus.  Here's the link to Chick's publication ... http://www.chick.com/reading/books/157/157_08a.asp

Jim Johnson

J'raxis 270145 is going against Caleb... I'll put $20.00 on this goes at least 5 pages over the next 3o days.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on December 04, 2008, 11:17 PM NHFT
J'raxis 270145 is going against Caleb... I'll put $20.00 on this goes at least 5 pages over the next 3o days.

Lol. Nah, I don't see anything really worth arguing about here. ;D

Caleb

Nah, we're not fighting, just exchanging different takes on the same thing.  :P

You gotta get into the mind of people, you know, figure out what makes them tick.  :)